| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halloween@RestOfTheWorld: Meh or Yay?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We even got some candy for kids that may come to our house tonight, last year, we had four kids at the door. In total.

How about your place? Is it a big thing or not?

Post subject: Re: Halloween@RestOfTheWorld: Meh or Yay?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I live in an apartment building without kids, so I won't get trick or treaters. I used to rent a house and we would get a few, not too many. I liked seeing the kids in their costumes though!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 am 
WELFARIST!

I never get trick-or-treaters and it's disappointing. I'd love to have them, but I live in a building and no one seems to bring their kids arond. I've already got the horror movies running on TCM. I celebrate Kizzy's (my cat's) b-day every Halloween because it's one of my favorite days anyhoo and he was born sometime in Oct 1993 according to the record. I'll wear my Boris Karloff Frankenstein shirt when/if I go out sometime today. I'm taking it easy at work which is sort of a bad idea because I was forced to take yesterday off because of the power outage, but I don't care, Halloween comes first, I love Halloween!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive never lived anywhere where we could hand out candy.

growing up we lived in the boonies on the back of a big hill. no one came over our side of the big hill, they just stopped at the top. from the other direction our nearest neighbor was a bit down the street so no one came up the street either.

then i lived in an apartment style condo and we just assumed no one would come trick or treating there. but one year some how some trick or treaters got in our building and knocked on our door and we were like "oh.....oops???"

the first halloween we lived in our house we got a bunch of candy. we live in a fairly well populated area and there are some kids of trick or treat age.
we had ONE group of two kids come.
even the people across the street who have two kids of perfect trick or treat age didnt come to our house.
i think maybe people are scared of our cuckoo dog though in all honesty he is harmless, he just makes a shiitake ton of noise.

now we dont even bother.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Definitely not a big thing where I am, I live right in the centre of a city & in 5 years we've had 1 trick or treater. I was so excited that I gave him a tonne of stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I live in a... uh... mixed kind of neighbourhood, but it's mostly adults. Most years I maybe get one bunch of teens hoping for money (but not kicking off when I offer them sweets or nothing), and if I'm lucky one group of smaller kids wearing cute costumes.

I've started going round my friend's house as he has more families in his area, there'll probably still only be 3-4 sets of children though. I've bought sherbet fruit sweets and vimto sweets to give them and I expect he'll have stocked up on various tooth-rotting goodies.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:51 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I've never seen anyone either in Italy nor here in Munich go trick or treating. In any case I live in an apartment building without kids, so unlikely to get any even if there were any out there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm pretty sure 90% of the kids in the neighborhood live next door, but I've seen some around. It's our first year in this neighborhood, and I'm kind of worried about not having enough candy. There aren't sidewalks, but we're far back enough into the neighborhood that there isn't a lot of traffic, and the cars are pretty slow-moving, so I would think kids would stick around here instead of going farther into the city. There are definitely enough houses to hit up. We'll see!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:15 am 
Dead by dawn

Halloween always makes me a little sad. When I was a kid, trick-or-treating was huge and now it seems like fear has mostly squashed that. Kids trick or treat the weekend before Halloween at businesses on the main street in my neighborhood, but the two Halloweens I have been here, I have gotten maybe two or three trick-or-treaters each year. I have my yard decorated and carved a pumpkin and bought candy. We'll see. If I get five or ten it'll be an improvement. I love Halloween and I just want it to be a kids' holiday again. More trick-or-treaters, fewer sexywhatevers, please!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Halloween seems to be getting bigger every year in my estate. When I first moved in 6years ago there was only one or 2 trick or treaters. Then as the estate got a bit older people started having kids. Judging by the amount of Halloween decorations that have gone up in the past few days I am going to be turning off all the lights and pretending I'm not home early in the evening!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 am 
Chip Strong

They literally bus kids in to my cute safe little neighborhood. Our neighborhood is so quaint it has a Halloween Parade and the kids all meet at one house dressed up first and go on a parade around the neighborhood. The fire chief lives a couple houses down from me and a firetruck leads the procession. The first year we lived here we gave out $120+ in candy and ran out early. Now we give out a little candy to the younger kids who come out early and then go out to dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

erynne936 wrote:
They literally bus kids in to my cute safe little neighborhood. Our neighborhood is so quaint it has a Halloween Parade and the kids all meet at one house dressed up first and go on a parade around the neighborhood. The fire chief lives a couple houses down from me and a firetruck leads the procession. The first year we lived here we gave out $120+ in candy and ran out early. Now we give out a little candy to the younger kids who come out early and then go out to dinner.

I want to move to your neighbourhood!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 am 
WRETCHED

We get tons of kids in our neighborhood. I have plenty of candy (I hope).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

One year, I passed a small group of children with their moms and the moms would point out houses to the kids where it would make most sense to ring... they would say: look, they've got Halloween too at that place! (those houses had some minor halloween decoration in the front yard)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

My personal opinion is meh. It feels so forced to celebrate Halloween over here. I always cringe a little when I see all the Halloween stuff at the stores.

I have never had kids come to my door on this day. But since it is a bank holiday anyway (Reforamtion Day) I think there are some places where kids can go dressed up to celebrate Halloween.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 am 
WRETCHED

We actually don't do any decorations but we leave the light on (universal sign of house with candy?) Our neighbors have tons of decorations so kids always go there. Sometimes I will stand outside when the busy crowd is out and about just to chit chat with the neighbors and what not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am 
Dead by dawn

dropscone wrote:
erynne936 wrote:

I want to move to your neighbourhood!

Me too! This is exactly what I want Halloween to be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Last year I had kids coming in no costume, kids asking for stuff for their brother, repeat trick-or-treaters, and then one normal group of kids in costume. I'm kind of panicking about what to do tonight. Should I give out candy to everyone? Try and enforce rules? Turn off the lights and hide?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am 
Married to the wolfman

We had over a hundred kids come to our house in an hour last year, at which point we ran out of candy. Our street is only 3 blocks long but it's got a nice dead end so it feels safe I guess. I think it's the front edge of the residential part of the east side of SC too so we get all the kids who are just starting their trick or treat maybe.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hardly anyone comes to my house. We get maybe 5 kids. Tons of kids still go to my mom's neighborhood in Toms River NJ though, (she gets over 100) so when my son is a little older we'll take him there. Today I'm taking my son to the mall, which is totally lame but at least they do give out lots of treats so it is something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Not really a thing round here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im kinda surprised we're still having Halloween on Halloween this year because of the storm. i know a bunch of MA towns postponed it til this weekend.

i think most everyone has their power back in my town but there are tree branches and crepe everywhere. the street i live on is basically a big hill and is narrow and kinda windy in some spots.
maybe that's why i never see trick or treaters on my road?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

erynne936 wrote:

I want to move here, too.

Halloween was huge when I was younger and the towns would be crawling with kids, people would do up haunted houses in the driveway or garage or whatever, they would go all out with decorations, parties, dressing up, Halloween movies all over TV, etc. I don't know if it's because I'm older now but it doesn't seem celebrated as much, especially among kids. We get almost no trick-or-treaters now and almost no one decorates. I also haven't seen a homemade haunted house in years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm top floor in a block of flats in a city so, no trick-or-treating here! But, I used to live in a small village where there was lots of kids...there wasn't so many trick or treaters though, they used to have groups of parents arrange halloween parties where all the parents brought and shared sweets with the kids all dressed up. Mainly it was teens who went trick or treating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Actually, what shocks me is the ages American kids trick or treat until! Here once you reach double digits then it is seriously uncool. I saw a big group of 9 and 10 year old boys a few minutes ago and they were heading off to the GAA field for some Hurling. (that's an Irish sport played with a stick). It's really only 4-6 year olds here. I think I only ever went trick or treating twice when I was younger.