| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130 ... 1890  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:16 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I just baked 41 cookies and 12 muffins, cut half a pumpkin in little cubes, and made two bowls of marinade.
Cleaned the coffee table, opened the dining table, and put random stuff away.
I'm ready for tomorrow! Dinner party for 8! Now all I have to do is resist the urge to taste the cookies...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well, apparently the water pipes in our house were damaged somehow. Probably from the hurricane, because I was in the cellar Sunday and it was fine, and now the pipes are shooting water everywhere. Trying to get everything that's not in a watertight container off the ground. The house has very old cast-iron pipes and they're just springing leaks. My parents are trying to figure out if they can claim this under homeowners insurance, because I'm sure it's going to be super expensive to fix. So right now we have no running water. The roto-rooter guy is going to try to patch it up a bit, so hopefully we will be able to have water while waiting for a proper fix.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My roommate (the one who always used my things) is moving out. Now other roommate and I can have an epic house with library and music rooms. So. Freaking. Excited.
Except about the higher rent bit.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 pm 
Impressive boner

Fujimoto is dozing whilst curled up on a cushion next to me. I love this little guy very much, he's so sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was doing a crossword puzzle with my mom when Molly flew over. Mom said "go away creep," and Molly flew back home. I looked at mom like "how can you talk to my sweet baby like that?!" then realized that "go away creep" was the next crossword clue (ans: go jump in the lake).

Moll knows what "go away" means because she terrorizes my poor dad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You know, today was a pretty crappy day. But then I baked a cake, a delicious chocolate cake that was cooling on the counter. I was going to go put some halloween decorations outside, so I asked my mom, "Can you watch the dog and make sure she doesn't get the cake?" My mom said no, so I said "Okay, I'll put her out in the yard then." So I did, and I went out and started putting up decorations and thinking that the trick-or-treaters tomorrow will enjoy them. I was feeling better about today. I was thinking the cake would be ready to frost when I went back inside. But when I did go back inside, my mom said "Your cake is ruined." She decided to let the dog inside and not watch her, and the dog pulled the cake pan onto the floor. And it wasn't just that the cake broke in half and could be patched up. It was basically a pan full of crumbs that had been on the floor. I asked my mom why the heck she let the dog in if she wasn't going to watch her, and she said "I didn't know you were outside. I thought you were just on the front porch." Seriously. I had asked her if she could watch the dog because I was busy and she said no, so I shut the dog outside. I think it was pretty obvious that when I was able to watch the dog, I would let her back in myself. I know it's just a cake and there are much bigger problems in the world, but gah, I am in the worst mood right now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

Anek wrote:
I just baked 41 cookies and 12 muffins, cut half a pumpkin in little cubes, and made two bowls of marinade.
I'm ready for tomorrow! Dinner party for 8! Now all I have to do is resist the urge to taste the cookies...

My math skills may be rusty, but with 41 cookies and 8 people, it's practically a requirement that you eat one. To even things out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I feel rebellious because today I put a deposit down for some special order nostril jewelry and once it comes in (probably 1.5-2 weeks), I'm getting my nose re-pierced! For the third time. It's always failed in the past because most nostril screws that you can buy in the stores are way too short and so my nose gets angry and tries to heal around the curve and other horrible things. So I'm getting some properly sized jewelry this time around and hoping for happier healing.

Oh, and this is rebellious because I got rid of all of my facial piercings when I started interviewing for medical school and now that I'm in my second year, I've decided to try and push the boundaries a little bit with a 1.5mm stud. Hopefully they won't say anything! There's no specific rule regarding body piercings in our student handbook and there's another girl in my class that has her nostril pierced and she's been fine, so...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
You know, today was a pretty crappy day. But then I baked a cake, a delicious chocolate cake that was cooling on the counter. I was going to go put some halloween decorations outside, so I asked my mom, "Can you watch the dog and make sure she doesn't get the cake?" My mom said no, so I said "Okay, I'll put her out in the yard then." So I did, and I went out and started putting up decorations and thinking that the trick-or-treaters tomorrow will enjoy them. I was feeling better about today. I was thinking the cake would be ready to frost when I went back inside. But when I did go back inside, my mom said "Your cake is ruined." She decided to let the dog inside and not watch her, and the dog pulled the cake pan onto the floor. And it wasn't just that the cake broke in half and could be patched up. It was basically a pan full of crumbs that had been on the floor. I asked my mom why the heck she let the dog in if she wasn't going to watch her, and she said "I didn't know you were outside. I thought you were just on the front porch." Seriously. I had asked her if she could watch the dog because I was busy and she said no, so I shut the dog outside. I think it was pretty obvious that when I was able to watch the dog, I would let her back in myself. I know it's just a cake and there are much bigger problems in the world, but gah, I am in the worst mood right now.

That was totally uncool of your mother and she seemed to not even care!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 pm 
Chip Strong

Freetahtah, that's awesome! I've been meaning to get my nose pierced for a while but I haven't found the right time. I doubt you'll have trouble about it, though. Nostril piercings are becoming quite common and socially acceptable.

Raspberrycomplaint, that seems very irresponsible of your mother on many levels, and you're completely allowed to be upset about it. Chocolate cake isn't exactly good for dogs, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Freetahtah wrote:
... Hopefully they won't say anything! There's no specific rule regarding body piercings in our student handbook and there's another girl in my class that has her nostril pierced and she's been fine, so...

Keeping my fingers crossed!
(I'm working an office job with a visible tattoo that incorporates a skull and tentacles, and everybody's fine with it. So I really hope my crossed fingers work for you! ;))

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:00 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I am vastly amused in an evil sort of way. I never unsubbed from the teacher jobs site so I get weekly emails with local listings for my certifications. For some reason I just looked at the one for this morning and noticed that my first job school is hiring AGAIN. A quick check of the website shows that the new person that they hired to replace the person after me quit already. What a hell hole. I don't really recognize many if the names on the school site--pretty weird since I worked there only 3 years ago. Quitting a teaching position midyear is serious shiitake. You basically forfeit your teaching credentials permanently.

Even more amusing: the principal keeps getting recognized as a great school leader.

Can anyone think of any field besides teaching where high staff turnover is a sign that management is doing their job well? Anywhere else I've ever worked, they would start to wonder a) why management can't keep employees happy, or b) why management is so forking bad at hiring competent people, neither of which makes them look good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

monkeytoes wrote:
Anek wrote:

My math skills may be rusty, but with 41 cookies and 8 people, it's practically a requirement that you eat one. To even things out.

You are right. And to make things better cookie-wise, one person is not coming. So there were 6 cookies up for grab. Too bad my boyfriend ate 5... but at least I got to taste one and they are good!

Now I just want to go home and cook and prepare and get the party started. But I still have about 5 hours to stay here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

eatsbabies wrote:
Freetahtah, that's awesome! I've been meaning to get my nose pierced for a while but I haven't found the right time. I doubt you'll have trouble about it, though. Nostril piercings are becoming quite common and socially acceptable.

It must be that time of the year or something, but I just pierced my nose again too. :) I've had a piercing there since I was 15, took it out at some point, then put it back in again, took it out again and now put it back. The hole never closed up, so it was the easiest thing in the world.

Funny thing: I've got a very visible black ring in there right now, and apparently it looks so very 'me' that no one notices it. Seriously, I saw so many people over the past 10 days, and only three of them sorta wondered whether I've always had a nostril piercing. (That, or no one ever looks me in the face.)

Oh and apparently, 27-year-olds don't have pierced noses, because I got carded at the supermarket yesterday when I was buying a crate of beer. (Fun fact: the legal age for buying beer in NL is 16.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

raspberrycomplaint wrote:

That sucks! And it's really inconsiderate of your mom to do that, jeez.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I went to the food bank today! Even though it means I'm poor, I had fun getting free foods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't want to woooooork today. I told myself if I started a while ago, I could finish up by 5:15 and watch White Zombie on TCM but I haven't started yet, and I aint gonna finish by 5:15 but I'll probably watch White Zombie anyway. Halloween is only once a year!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have to work today too and it makes me sad. At least I'll be home in time for AHS, though. I do really like handing out candy and seeing costumes though...

eta: Kitties are here to fix everything: http://updates.jezebel.com/post/3470959 ... the-feline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The constant knocking on the door is driving the dog absolutely insane. Argh! Thankfully only a few more minutes of this left.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm not well enough to go to a Halloween party with my boyfriend. I'd probably survive the party, but then it's likely I'd explode into a snotty flu monster afterwards if I overdid it and I'm going away all weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I've got a guilty pleasure. I've always been one of those people who loves junk food, I never really get the pleasure of saying "I don't even like chocolate" or "I don't eat donuts" but at work everyone is so used to me refusing their treats that everyone just assumes I'm this health nut who is above candy and sweets. I'm so not, I just can't because it's not vegan, but it makes me feel wickedly superior to be all "no thankyou" to candy. And when someone chimes in "FEE DOESN'T EAT CANDY" I'm like THAT'S RIGHT, I'M HEALTHY (when I'm at work)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Quick question! Should I remove the ice crystals on top of frozen pie before baking? It appears to have been defrosted and then refrozen, so there's a lot of ice. Worried! I'm putting it in the oven soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Niev wrote:
Quick question! Should I remove the ice crystals on top of frozen pie before baking? It appears to have been defrosted and then refrozen, so there's a lot of ice. Worried! I'm putting it in the oven soon.

Okay. I've removed majority of ice. For science!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hardly any trick-or-treaters this year! So far we've only had 2 groups of teenagers and that's it. Kind of sad, because I have the yard and porch all decorated and there's no one to appreciate it. But kind of happy, because the fewer trick-or-treaters we get, the more candy is left for me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm appreciating the workout the trick-or-treaters are giving me this year. My apartment is on the second floor, but I have my own private entrance on the first, with an open staircase up to my place. Every time someone knocks on the door, I have to run down the stairs.

P.S. I just finished making apple chips and my hands smell like cinnamon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130 ... 1890  Next