| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuyu persimmons... what should I make, PPK?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I ran to the store last minute this evening to pick up a couple of items for dinner that my partner realized he needed mid-cooking. Because I am easily distracted, I was wandering around when I saw a little box in the produce section of fuyu persimmons and I decided to buy two because they were pretty and I've never tried them before.

Now what the heck do I do with them? I don't particularly want to eat them plain since I've heard they're not so delicious on their own... so do you guys have any recipes you recommend? I was thinking about the persimmon blondies in Vegan Desserts, but they call for the other type of persimmon and I'm not sure if using Fuyu would ruin everything or not.

Post subject: Re: Fuyu persimmons... what should I make, PPK?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am going to say that honestly, if they're ripe, a persimmon is a persimmon is a persimmon, taste wise, so make the blondies. the difference between types is that one is astringent if it's not ripe [hachiya] and will make you feel like you have a hairy tongue if you eat it too early.

i like to eat the fuyus raw, like apples, and i think they do have a nice taste.... but my favorite thing, if it's still warm where you are, is to let it get ALMOST too ripe (squishy), throw it in the freezer, and then let it thaw and eat it as a sorbet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Iew, yeah, I've apparently only had unripe hachiya persimmons, because my concept of a persimmon is having every last drop of moisture sucked from my tongue until it feels like it spent several nights sitting out on the dessert. I think of persimmons as tongue vacuums. My tongue is curling up and trying to die just thinking about it. So I guess freetahtah got the good kind and doesn't need to worry about that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I just posted a gluten-free persimmon waffle made from Fuyu puree, if that would interest you. The puree is also good in oatmeal, cookies, and hey, maybe even pancakes. I find with persimmons it's best to wait until they're as ripe as can be. If you doubt their ripeness, wait a day longer--very much so worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for the reassurance that fuyus can be used in baked goods! The ones I have don't seem they're to the level of ripeness you guys are talking about, so I guess I'll let them sit on my counter for a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

There are a bunch of recipes in the latest issue of Vegetarian Times and if you're interested I can send them to you later. Don't have the magazine with me now or I'd just post them here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Once they're squishy you can spread the innards on toast like jam!

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am 
Smuggling Raisins

They make amazing pie and cobbler!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks to this thread I just bought two little fuyu persimmons. I bought the ripest looking ones I could find, but I'm going to let them sit around and ripen some more before I try to eat them. I'm just going to slice and eat as fresh fruit, no fancy recipes planned.