| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

It took me a minute to realize that the mummy in question was a halloween mummy (not so much halloween hysteria here). For some reason I was envisioning a cardboard cutout of the Queen Mum and wondering where the fork you must work to have a cutout of the Queen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Tofulish wrote:
Vantine wrote:
You are conflating a lot of different things. A child getting upset on a train is a completely different matter than what we were discussing which was whether or not is was reasonable for a person with an adult partner who can watch their other children to be expected to change their baby's diaper somewhere other than on a bench in a museum.

You're missing my point. Public spaces are public spaces. Children are no more and no less annoying than anyone else in them. But I think children and parents are held to a stricter standard - we still want children to not be seen or heard in public places, which is certainly not the high standard we apply to adults.

And you are missing Vantine's point, I feel. You were the one who brought up the (frankly, strange) association regards a baby crying on a train and people wearing 'cheap' perfume and discussing their (disparraging tone noted) boyfriends. Ok, some women gave you the side-eye regards a beeling wean. That's a bit shabby, for sure. But we all deal with shitty annoying people on public transport on the daily. Well, those of us who bus/train/subway every damn day do. I get damn aggravated about dickheads smoking joints or playing tinny music through their headphones or chugging Buckfast on the bus each and every morning. I hold children to a lesser standard as I know they can't help themselves. I imagine most people feel similarly. When it comes to someone having a one-person rave up the back of the bus vs a toddler having a screaming fit I am all about the sympathy for the toddler (or, more likely, the parent of said toddler.)

But that's by the forking by.

What this discussion was originally about was changing a nappy/diaper in a public space rather than take a wee stot into the pre-arranged area. And I am ok with saying that that should be done and yer general public should not have to bob and weave around a shitty bench in a museum when there is a place for that parent to go with their wee one.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:19 pm 
Semen Strong

interrobang?! wrote:
What this discussion was originally about was changing a nappy/diaper in a public space rather than take a wee stot into the pre-arranged area. And I am ok with saying that that should be done and yer general public should not have to bob and weave around a shitty bench in a museum when there is a place for that parent to go with their wee one.

And I am okay with saying that if that isn't feasible for the parents, then people can cut them some slack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Tofulish wrote:
I don't think there are any places that are truly poop-free. Poop is every where. And its the same argument people make that that there are places for nudity, breastfeeding is nudity, so go feed your baby in the toilet please.

i missed this! And no. No no no no no. Breastfeeding is not nudity. And I would be interested to hear from someone in England about this particular issue (seeing as that's where this whole thing stemmed from) As i said already, it is illegal to prevent someone breastfeeding in Scotland. And, at any rate, they are so not the same thing. So not.

Tofulish wrote:
And I get it, I do. I felt the same way you do before I had kids.

And this. Would this alone not have royally pissed you off before you had kids? Really?

Tofulish wrote:
And I am okay with saying that if that isn't feasible for the parents, then people can cut them some slack.

What dropscone was talking about was a totty wee museum with adequate changing areas. And, lest we forget, 2 parents on hand. The slack to be cut in that scenario? Pure zilch.
People could cut all kinds of slack for all sorts of varigated situations. Parents are not a special class.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:13 pm 
Semen Strong

interrobang?! wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I don't think there are any places that are truly poop-free. Poop is every where. And its the same argument people make that that there are places for nudity, breastfeeding is nudity, so go feed your baby in the toilet please.

i missed this! And no. No no no no no. Breastfeeding is not nudity. And I would be interested to hear from someone in England about this particular issue (seeing as that's where this whole thing stemmed from) As i said already, it is illegal to prevent someone breastfeeding in Scotland. And, at any rate, they are so not the same thing. So not.

I said it was the same kind of argument that people use here to tell women to go feed in toilets. Not that it actually is.

interrobang?! wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
And I get it, I do. I felt the same way you do before I had kids.

And this. Would this alone not have royally pissed you off before you had kids? Really?

Probably. But sometimes you don't get how challenging something is until you've lived it. I still feel judgmental about the bigger kids that seem totally out of control and run over the little ones and throw giant tantrums, because I haven't lived that part yet. When I am there, I'll really understand the challenges much better. Is that really so offensive?

interrobang?! wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

What dropscone was talking about was a totty wee museum with adequate changing areas. And, lest we forget, 2 parents on hand. The slack to be cut in that scenario? Pure zilch.

And there we differ.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 pm 
A Bad Person

I don't think anyone here is convincing the other side, so let's call this one a draw? Or start a new thread for it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:01 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I was working at the reservation desk this week when a woman came in and said she'd reserved a book. She gave me her last name and the name of the author, so I go look on the shelf and I can't find it. I ask again which book it is, and she names a Dutch book by a Belgian writer. We don't sell Dutch books. We only sell English books. So I double check. "Was it a Dutch language book that you reserved?" Yes. "Are you sure you reserved it here and not at another book store, because we don't actually have Dutch books?" Her reply? "I don't know. Where else could it be?" (Um, pretty much any bookstore in town?) "But when I asked about it on the ground floor they sent me up here. Why would they do that if my book wasn't reserved here?"

Um, maybe because you said you'd reserved a book and this is where we keep reserved books? How can you reserve a book and not know at which store? (And then get huffy that we don't know what store does have your book. It's not like we're all interchangeable.)

On a similar note, I went to post my ballot the other day at a post office/tobacconist, and the woman in front of me wanted to use a plastic-bottle-refund receipt from the supermarket to buy her cigarettes. The storekeeper had to explain to her a few times that you can only redeem a receipt like that at the supermarket itself, and that this was not a supermarket. I think she thought it was some sort of cash equivalent.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:10 am 
Inflexitarian

lepelaar wrote:
On a similar note, I went to post my ballot the other day at a post office/tobacconist, and the woman in front of me wanted to use a plastic-bottle-refund receipt from the supermarket to buy her cigarettes. The storekeeper had to explain to her a few times that you can only redeem a receipt like that at the supermarket itself, and that this was not a supermarket. I think she thought it was some sort of cash equivalent.

I had not heard of that. But at this wee hour it amuses me to think of somebody saying "I recycled now damnit give me my air pollution tool!"

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:26 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

torque wrote:
It took me a minute to realize that the mummy in question was a halloween mummy (not so much halloween hysteria here). For some reason I was envisioning a cardboard cutout of the Queen Mum and wondering where the fork you must work to have a cutout of the Queen.

It's feasible we'd have a portrait of the Queen (or her mum), especially when the Open art exhibition is on, but this was actually in the Egypt section. He's not the only one I've caught punching the thing, but the only adult. Also, he was alone. I really thought it was quite strange, although I was definitely amused about it once he'd left, particularly as he hadn't damaged it.

I will definitely not be doing casual work at the Open! too much scope for getting the heebie-jeebies worrying about people damaging other people's work!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I had a group of customers today just like many groups of customers before (unfortunately). A parent couple with very young children who do not keep their (young, we're talking 2-6) children within view, and whose children consequently run all over the place in our workplace (that is a licensed cidery and always has broken glass hazards). The kids were taunting the farm dog, who is very sweet but he's also very big and strong and parents should keep their small children away from him, and they were marching into our kitchen and attempting to play with switches on the industrial dishwasher, and were basically causing havoc everywhere whilst the parents were just drinking.

I know it is a difficult task to be a parent. But as with pets, just think about them. Maybe it means you can't go out as much as you'd like. You (much of the time) made the choice to procreate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
I had a group of customers today just like many groups of customers before (unfortunately). A parent couple with very young children who do not keep their (young, we're talking 2-6) children within view, and whose children consequently run all over the place in our workplace (that is a licensed cidery and always has broken glass hazards). The kids were taunting the farm dog, who is very sweet but he's also very big and strong and parents should keep their small children away from him, and they were marching into our kitchen and attempting to play with switches on the industrial dishwasher, and were basically causing havoc everywhere whilst the parents were just drinking.

I know it is a difficult task to be a parent. But as with pets, just think about them. Maybe it means you can't go out as much as you'd like. You (much of the time) made the choice to procreate.

There seems to be an assumption that other people will watch your kids while you take a break. Unfortunately, if you don't have an explicit agreement, this does not work out so well.

Once when I worked at a bookstore we had a small (4-5 yrs old) child running about, including in and out the front door. The staff walked around with the child to find her parents but to no avail. So, the police were called. Eventually, they found the parents tucked in a corner of the bookstore, reading.

We also get 7-8 year old children dropped off at the library with their younger siblings.

I get that it's hard to never have a break from your kids and that it takes a village but there are limits to everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:

That isn't how babies poop! They're not hippos that use their tails to fling poo on everything in a 360 radius!

sorry for OT, but this was the best thing I read all day. Just imagine if they did!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Vantine wrote:
Once when I worked at a bookstore we had a small (4-5 yrs old) child running about, including in and out the front door. The staff walked around with the child to find her parents but to no avail. So, the police were called. Eventually, they found the parents tucked in a corner of the bookstore, reading.

We also get 7-8 year old children dropped off at the library with their younger siblings.

I get that it's hard to never have a break from your kids and that it takes a village but there are limits to everything.

Wow. I mean, on one hand I get that it's a thing to let your children have a little bit of independence (fun story: at four, my parents forgot me at a department store in London and when I realized they were gone, I ran down the street as fast as I could to find them, and miraculously, I did), but assuming staff at public businesses are going to watch your kid is just irresponsible.

I host kindergartener tours at the farm on days we are closed to the public, and so far there have been so many parent volunteers and such organization from the teachers, so that is refreshing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I work in an office that does physical examinations for disability claims. I cannot tell you how many times someone claiming high blood pressure comes in without taking their blood pressure pills and drinking coffee with blood pressure through the roof. Truly, I don't need you to have a stroke in my office in order to document that you do indeed have high blood pressure. Take your meds. Lay off the cold medicine and caffeine. Just had a gentleman here with a blood pressure of 220/146. Blood pressure medication in his pocket. TAKE YOUR MEDS BEFORE YOU HAVE A STROKE.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:41 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Here's a tip: If you call a criminal defense attorney and aren't facing charges and haven't been contacted by law enforcement and are just going off a hunch you may be in trouble, please be prepared to explain further beyond monosyllabic, one-word answers. I'M A SECRETARY, NOT A DENTIST, I DON'T PULL TEETH FOR A LIVING.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am 
Lime and a Coconut

annasrobbie wrote:
Just had a gentleman here with a blood pressure of 220/146. Blood pressure medication in his pocket. TAKE YOUR MEDS BEFORE YOU HAVE A STROKE.

No no no, I got this. I can totally outsmart my body.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Dude, visitors, yes the ground is nice and clear here and its above freezing. Asheville is @ 2200ft elevation. Do you really not realize that hurricane precipitation up @ 5500ft would cause snow up there? Yes, the road is nice down here but scenic views require climbing 3k feet in elevation and we had a hurricane! Colder at the higher elevations!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:15 am 
Inflexitarian

annasrobbie wrote:
I work in an office that does physical examinations for disability claims. I cannot tell you how many times someone claiming high blood pressure comes in without taking their blood pressure pills and drinking coffee with blood pressure through the roof. Truly, I don't need you to have a stroke in my office in order to document that you do indeed have high blood pressure. Take your meds. Lay off the cold medicine and caffeine. Just had a gentleman here with a blood pressure of 220/146. Blood pressure medication in his pocket. TAKE YOUR MEDS BEFORE YOU HAVE A STROKE.

Scary. As somebody who had both parents have serious heart problems in their 30s I'm extra paranoid about blood pressure.

Freelancer story:
I do a lot of different things to make money as a freelancer. One is tagging images by what is in the picture.

I spent most of my work hours yesterday sorting pictures of an awesome party at what I assume must be Carnival. Sometimes my work is awesome. (this would get me fired in most workplaces, looking at hundreds of pictures of topless people/drunk people) Other times that particular task can suck when it becomes endless pictures of a lodge meeting. I've also had hundreds of pictures of conventions, which makes me happy. (I LOVE conventions.) It will be sad when the Sandy pictures come in though.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I ran a dog daycare for five years, and I was amazed at the number of people who would look us up (we were not in an area with foot traffic, so they were unlikely to stumble upon us by accident while walking their dog) and show up with their dog - no behavioural consult booked, no vaccine paperwork or vet records in hand, and just expect me to take their dog for the day. The daycare was completely open plan, with crates for "time outs", and a large dog and small dog area, plus an emergency qt area. No, I am not going to take your 6 year old, unaltered rottweiler who seems to have an eye infection and is growling at me. Occasionally if it was a really quiet day and I could contact the vet office for health information - ok, your 7 month old shih tzu can try it out.

The intense worrywarts happened more often but those I could deal with. "Don't you have fights like, all the time".. no, that's why we do meet and greets first. "Is my dog going to be attacked?" only if your dog comes in smothered in bacon flavouring, or if they are the huge jerk causing problems.

I now work once or twice a week at the psychotherapy clinic run by my husband's grandfather. Mostly our patients are there for anxiety and depression, but we have had some scary stuff, especially when we had the doctor who did anger management. So when I got a part time job doing reception work at a vet clinic, I thought I was pretty well set up for it - lots of experience with animals, and experience with a certain amount of weirdness from people. Vet clinics can be high stress places, so I knew it wouldn't be easy. But WOW. The woman who told me about how her cats were "half wild spotted tree cats" and were therefore extra intelligent, and she thought they could maybe read her mind? She was special. The woman who was going ballistic the day before she left for Florida for 5 months because she hadn't arranged to get refills of meds before going and somehow blamed us? She was another special one. The guy who insisted to me that there was no taxes on medication? I almost did something worthy of getting fired because he made me so angry and talked down to me so much.

How does the human race go on with so many of these people?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
I ran a dog daycare for five years, and I was amazed at the number of people who would look us up (we were not in an area with foot traffic, so they were unlikely to stumble upon us by accident while walking their dog) and show up with their dog - no behavioural consult booked, no vaccine paperwork or vet records in hand, and just expect me to take their dog for the day. The daycare was completely open plan, with crates for "time outs", and a large dog and small dog area, plus an emergency qt area. No, I am not going to take your 6 year old, unaltered rottweiler who seems to have an eye infection and is growling at me. Occasionally if it was a really quiet day and I could contact the vet office for health information - ok, your 7 month old shih tzu can try it out.

My favorite is the guy who calls earlier in the day about leaving his dog overnight, goes to get the shots we tell him the dog needs (and needed 48 hours prior!), then walks in a minute after we're technically closed on the same day to drop off the dog without an reservation and still doesn't have all the shots we told him. A+ listening skills

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:58 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Oh, I love the last-minute-ers! In my line of work it's usually folks calling up who want to hire a new lawyer because their trial starts in three days. Sir, it would take three days just for us to process the substitution of attorney, let alone even think about preparing for a forking trial!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm 
WRETCHED

Speaking of last minuters, I love people who call up at 3pm or 4pm on Fridays expecting to get something done today. Good luck to you, this is especially bad in summer where people may take Fridays off or take off as early as 2pm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Totally- I once had a woman call me in tears from the Canadian border because she hadn't thought to look into whether a felony conviction on her record could affect her ability to waltz into another country. She was flipping out that her lawyer from 5 years ago wasn't available and further, wasn't willing run out of court that very second, drive to her storage facility, and find the old file to sort it all right out.

But, as many of my co-workers are fond of pointing out to me, if they had good life skills and judgment, they wouldn't be our clients...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I was just saying today how much I freakin hate when past patients call at 4 pm on a Thursday because they HAVE to have a letter about their treatment for court tomorrow or they're going to jail! MFers, think about this shiitake like A DAY in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

People who steal. Stop it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 68  Next