| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Durian is yummy!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just got some fresh (okay, maybe it was frozen and then thawed), whole durian. It was SO good. I grew up on it but hadn't had it in ages. I get that it has a strong smell, but I think it's gotten a bad rap. I'm curious if there are any people out there who didn't grow up with it who enjoy it. Everyone I know who has never tried it is scared to death of it.

Post subject: Re: Durian is yummy!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i looooooove durian. it ain't that bad, but i suspect the freezing takes any stink down a notch, too.
we have jackfruit here, which is durian taken down a notch with a bit of bubble gum flavor thrown in. everyone is horrified when i come home with one (or part of one, as they are huge) but I love them. They make really interesting smoothies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I did not grow up on durian. I used canned jackfruit once to make carnitas, and liked it in that recipe. I also had a durian smoothy in China Town. It tasted like onion. I did not enjoy. I've not yet bought a whole fresh durian, but I want to give it a try some time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I really really really want to try Durian. Heard so many terrible things, I just have to try it. I was a very experimental eater pre-vegan (don't worry, I won't share the expereinces! they are gross now)

wannabe, are you in the USA? Did you find the Durian in a grocery store or what?

I just found out that the local Ranch 99 (an asian food store) sells Jackfruit. Dang, those things are HUGE! (they sell them whole)

I want to try them, But am a bit scared since they are sold whole and are quite expensive. Does the 'meat' of them freeze well you think?

I think 'carnitas' would be the best thing to try. A local food truck does Jackfruit tacos, and they are famous for them. No, I have not tried them. You get to the food truck and they are always sold out. booooo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 am 
WRETCHED

I've seen durian in our local grocery store and its scared me. I have tried freeze dried durian but nothing beyond that.

I've done jackfruit tacos before but I've used canned jackfruit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

torque wrote:
i looooooove durian. it ain't that bad, but i suspect the freezing takes any stink down a notch, too.
we have jackfruit here, which is durian taken down a notch with a bit of bubble gum flavor thrown in. everyone is horrified when i come home with one (or part of one, as they are huge) but I love them. They make really interesting smoothies.

I've had fresh jackfruit and it is yummy! It is nowhere near as pungent as durian though.

Although the whole durian may have been frozen at some point, I ate it thawed, and it does not take down the stink. :-D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I did not grow up on durian. I used canned jackfruit once to make carnitas, and liked it in that recipe. I also had a durian smoothy in China Town. It tasted like onion. I did not enjoy. I've not yet bought a whole fresh durian, but I want to give it a try some time.

Yes, you need to try it by itself to know if you really like it or not. I don't ever eat durian flavored things or things mixed with it. The flavor is so intense it really needs to stand alone.

Jackfruit carnitas? Tell me more!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Chicki wrote:
I really really really want to try Durian. Heard so many terrible things, I just have to try it. I was a very experimental eater pre-vegan (don't worry, I won't share the expereinces! they are gross now)

wannabe, are you in the USA? Did you find the Durian in a grocery store or what?

I just found out that the local Ranch 99 (an asian food store) sells Jackfruit. Dang, those things are HUGE! (they sell them whole)

I want to try them, But am a bit scared since they are sold whole and are quite expensive. Does the 'meat' of them freeze well you think?

I think 'carnitas' would be the best thing to try. A local food truck does Jackfruit tacos, and they are famous for them. No, I have not tried them. You get to the food truck and they are always sold out. booooo.

Yes, I'm in the USA. I found it at a Chinese market. It is usually pretty easy to find in Asian markets in larger cities. It is often found already cut and frozen in little plastic tubs. I mostly ate that growing up, and it was still delicious.

I have never frozen jackfruit, but I think it would freeze well. It's a pretty firm and chewy fruit.

Don't be scared off by durian's bad rap! You really should try it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Jackfruit for carnitas is very unripe and different from the fruit which is ready to eat. You need to buy it in cans, I have made it from unripe jackfruit and let me tell you, the cleanup is unreal and nobody deserves it (the unripe fruit emits a horribly sticky latex that will Never Come Off of any surface it touches, including your knives and your cutting board unless you oil the shiitake out of everything first, and do you really want oil in your jackfruit? or to be cutting the mustard up using greasy hands on your sharpest knife? just BUY THE CANNED STUFF.....)

if you don't know the taste of durian you might want to try durian-flavored stuff just to see what it's like first-- i used to buy some durian flavored cookies many years ago for my kid, they have just the littlest hit of onion along with their sweet taste. Of course you miss the nice creamy texture if you have something that is just flavored with durian instead of the fruit itself.

i've never frozen jackfruit but don't see why it wouldn't freeze- but i think you would need to smoothie it or cook it or something though as the texture might be ruined (when i get ripe jackfruit it's really soft and squishy, like a ripe persimmon with fibers, and i don't see that freezing well for whole use after thawing)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

torque wrote:
the unripe fruit emits a horribly sticky latex that will Never Come Off of any surface it touches, including your knives and your cutting board unless you oil the shiitake out of everything first, and do you really want oil in your jackfruit? or to be cutting the mustard up using greasy hands on your sharpest knife?

That is fascinating! I had no idea the unripe fruit did that! I did use the canned stuff.
Wannabe: I think the recipe I used was by a ppker called melliser. I don't remember where I found it, but I'm sure if you google vegan jackfruit carnitas, it will come up. Maybe add melliser's name to your search. The fruit got simmered in some sort of yummy sauce and then stuffed into corn tortillas. It was a while ago, so I don't remember the details, but it was good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 am 
WRETCHED

I've seen a few recipes for it but this looks to be Melisser's
http://www.everydaydish.tv/recipe/jackf ... itas-tacos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 pm 
Chip Strong

I like durian! I did not grow up with it, but my parents lived in Singapore for a few years and I ate it when I visited them/traveled around SE Asia. My husband thinks I'm crazy. He did NOT think it was good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This is so off topic, but has anyone seen the PBS Curious George episode when the monkey cooks with durian? I thought it was cool that I even got the joke why nobody liked it. We have been trying to find some here in Michigan, because husband wants to try some after reading an article on it, but we can't find it anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am 
Tofu Pup

i'm from singapore too! i looooove durian! and there's many different grades of it, so if you hadn't tasted a good one, it doesn't mean durian is all bad! the best ones are sweet with a slight bitter aftertaste. there's durian puffs, durian mooncakes, durian pancakes, durian mousse...now seems to be durian season and i can't wait to stuff myself ^,^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I made veganized matabak durian (pancakes filled with a durian puree filling a couple years ago when I saw it at Whole Foods (I bought some partly because I felt bad that it was stinking up their produce department. Logic FAIL). They were tasty but I could only stand to eat a couple at a time (froze most of them). It tasted like the most delicious caramel in the world had been thrown in a dumpster in a hot climate and sat there for a week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have to share my little durian story.

My husband's family lives in a city that is very multicultural, but we are both of european/germanic type descent. So my friend Sam and I were walking around the newly opened and very huge asian grocery store, and we stumbled across a display of (partially frozen?) durian, we were pretty amazed. What is this creature? We thought we would be terribly adventurous and buy it. It was just too funny to pass up.

So we get it home, and take it out to the back yard and put on the outdoor table, and look at it. How do we get in to this thing? An axe, slam it on the ground real hard? My now hubby/then fiancee Mike gets the biggest knife out of the kitchen and hacks in to this thing, and we look at the lovely gooey inside. It looks like... custard or vanilla pudding. Mike says "well, that doesn't look so bad" and he sticks his finger in and swoops a big glob of it in his mouth. For a split second his face looked please, he made a happy nummy sound, then turned green and ran in the house to try and wash away the taste. Sam and I start laughing like wild maniacs, and then we were hit by the smell. "Rotten barn" was the closest I could get to describing it.

I did not sample the durian and doubt that I ever will!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Mmmm, rotten barn custard! Great story moon! Thanks for sharing. I'm still determined to try it for myself some time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:40 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

enmommy wrote:
This is so off topic, but has anyone seen the PBS Curious George episode when the monkey cooks with durian? I thought it was cool that I even got the joke why nobody liked it. We have been trying to find some here in Michigan, because husband wants to try some after reading an article on it, but we can't find it anywhere.

That's hilarious! I love Curious George and watch it with the kid on occasion. He would love that episode.

I live in MI and got mine at a Chinese Market in Ann Arbor. Are you anywhere near there?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am more northeast of Detroit. I can't find any good Asian or Indian markets in the area, and by area I mean within 20 minutes.

I am loving free PBS. Word Girl has an episode with a Tofu jail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

I love eating Duran candies during my childhood, but never tried to eat it in its bare fruit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 am 
Tofu Pup

enmommy wrote:
I am more northeast of Detroit. I can't find any good Asian or Indian markets in the area, and by area I mean within 20 minutes.

I am loving free PBS. Word Girl has an episode with a Tofu jail.

if you are willing to go to madison heights, their are a ton of bunch of good grocery stores that stock durian. frozen and fresh. also to make it worth your while, bring "vegan eats world" and stock up on mystery sauces.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks. That is not too far I guess, and I bet my husband would venture out for a chance to taste this fruit. He said he read that you should remove the inside and get the outside immediately out of the house, so that the inside doesn't taste like the outside, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ahh, durian. I never ate it growing up, and it is now literally my favorite food. I just got back from Thailand and it was the last thing I ate there. I want the taste to linger forever... :) I'm not a fan of the frozen durian (or of the Thai Monthong durian variety), but it will do in a pinch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The best thing to do with frozen durian is use it to make khao nieuw thu rien (durian sweet sticky rice). Something like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:27 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey durian fans!

I found this forum and was so excited to see my favorite fruit listed on the forum of my favorite vegan cook book. Cool!

I have a website all about durian, documenting my year-long research trip in Southeast Asia. I'd like to invite you to submit recipes to my Durian Recipe Index http://www.yearofthedurian.com/p/durian-recipes.html. Since I'm vegan, I'm trying to keep it as animal-friendly as possible. I would love any suggestions! I bet you have some interesting ways to use durian :)