| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TVP - the gateway drug to veganism?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

so, in case y'all missed my post elsewhere, recently my hubby & I made the breakfast veggie chorizo from VwAV and my hubby literally swooned for it (me too!). he has had real chorizo before and said Isa's vegan version was pretty much just like the real deal :) later this evening he told me he was CRAVING IT (eep!!!)

i wasn't sure he'd like the texture of TVP but he does, so know I want to make some more recipes that feature TVP as a primary ingredient. I buy TVP bulk and I buy the "small granule" kind.

Question 1: Has anyone bought the larger, chunk style TVP? If so, how did you like it? Hubby mentioned he'd like to make a bbq TVP and I'm think the chunk TVP might be more like pulled pork. I have not seen the chunk style TVP in the bulk bins so I will need to see if I can find it packaged. (neither of us are interested in trying tempeh or seitan)

Question 2: Does anyone have any awesome TVP recipes for me to try? If so please share online links. I did stumble upon a recipe for TVP sausage patties (see link below) which I know we are going to try, and Vegan Diner has a chili recipe featuring TVP. Any other goodies to try? (I have the following vegan cookbooks: VWaV, Vegan Diner, Party Vegan, Quick Fix Vegan, Meat & Potatoes Vegetarian Cookbook [has vegan options], Cookin' Crunk, Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day and a few others that are vegetarian).

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-sausage-patties/
p.s. question 3: what is oat or wheat bran? I'm pretty sure I have not seen this in the bulk bins at my natural foods grocery store.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: TVP - the gateway drug to veganism?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

I used the larger chunky TVP in a black bean fejoda/stew (the one in Viva Vegan) and I liked it a lot, it had a nice chewy texture in the stew. I've never used it in anything other than the stew though. I'm not a big TVP user (not because I don't like it--but I'm not supposed to eat too much soy) so I don't have a ton of experience with it other than making veggie burgers and the VwaV chorizo which you've made.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Forgive my stupidity, but what is TVP?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oat or wheat bran (I'm not actually sure what it is specifically, actually. I'm not someone who really knows backgrounds about foods, I really just eat it but someone else will prolly know) but you should be able to find it in the hot cereal section of major supermarkets and sometimes where they sell the cornmeal and stuffs. But near the oatmeals--it's usually there in the store.

I've seen wheat and oat brans in bulk bins at some point. Not every where though.

Last edited by seitanicverses on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
Forgive my stupidity, but what is TVP?

It stands for textured vegetable protein.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Soy curls are similar to chunk TVP but way better, in my opinion. I'm curious about your reasons for avoiding tempeh and seitan? Also oat bran and wheat bran shouldn't be that hard to come by, I bet they are actually hiding in your bulk bins somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

TVP isn't oat or wheat bran -- it's textured soy protein and is also sometimes referred to as TSP. It's the "leftovers" when soybean oil is squeezed out, basically.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just this week we have made the sloppy joes from Vegan Diner and the meat(less) ball subs from vegan sandwiches save the day. Both were great but the meatballs were the favorite!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
I used the larger chunky TVP in a black bean fejoda/stew (the one in Viva Vegan) and I liked it a lot, it had a nice chewy texture in the stew. I've never used it in anything other than the stew though. I'm not a big TVP user (not because I don't like it--but I'm not supposed to eat too much soy) so I don't have a ton of experience with it other than making veggie burgers and the VwaV chorizo which you've made.

We aren't huge TVP users either. I've been vegan since August and this is the first time we've used TVP.

strawberryrock wrote:
Soy curls are similar to chunk TVP but way better, in my opinion. I'm curious about your reasons for avoiding tempeh and seitan? Also oat bran and wheat bran shouldn't be that hard to come by, I bet they are actually hiding in your bulk bins somewhere.

no real reason for avoiding tempeh or seitan. they just seem "weird" to me even though I know exactly what they are ;) I recently used wheat gluten in a bean ball recipe recently and that was a big deal to me since I consider vital wheat gluten an exotic ingredient ;)

also, I'm not sure if my natural foods store sells soy curls. what exactly are they? are they hard to find?

Amajorrecords wrote:
Just this week we have made the sloppy joes from Vegan Diner and the meat(less) ball subs from vegan sandwiches save the day. Both were great but the meatballs were the favorite!

thanks for the tip, didn't know the meat(less) subs from VSSTD used TVP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I like the small tvp granules, but personally don't like the texture of the larger chunks. If you can get your hands on soy curls, I'd recommend those instead. I've used them for pulled pork type sandwiches, so I think they'd be more like what you were hoping for.

The most common thing i use TVP for is sloppy joes. I use a modified version of the recipe from How It All Vegan, but I'm betting you can find TVP sloppy joe recipes online. You might also check out Joni Newman's blog. Her cookbooks have some good ideas for TVP and she has some recipes posted on her blog: http://justthefood.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bookwormbethie wrote:

no real reason for avoiding tempeh or seitan. they just seem "weird" to me even though I know exactly what they are ;) I recently used wheat gluten in a bean ball recipe recently and that was a big deal to me since I consider vital wheat gluten an exotic ingredient ;)

Honestly, seitan and tempeh, to a lesser extent, are so much better than TVP it's not even funny. Making seitan at home is not hard and it's very rewarding.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

soy curls make amazing pulled pork sammies. just make sure to squeeze them really well, and brown them in the pan for a bit before adding the BBQ sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

Soy curls can be difficult to find because they're not really sold in any big stores yet. You can buy them from online vegan stores (VE, Vegan Store, Food Fight) or from the Butler company (they make soy curls) http://www.butlerfoods.com/. I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I love tvp and so does my omni partner! We like to add the large chunks to black bean enchiladas in mole. There is a recipe in v'con called Cholent, that calls for them. I'm not sure that I like the seasoning in that recipe, but I did love the texture. I like small tvp for making meatless balls, glued together with VWG, or added to tomato sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:

Question 2: Does anyone have any awesome TVP recipes for me to try? If so please share online links. I did stumble upon a recipe for TVP sausage patties (see link below) which I know we are going to try, and Vegan Diner has a chili recipe featuring TVP. Any other goodies to try? (I have the following vegan cookbooks: VWaV, Vegan Diner, Party Vegan, Quick Fix Vegan, Meat & Potatoes Vegetarian Cookbook [has vegan options], Cookin' Crunk, Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day and a few others that are vegetarian).

The beefy cheese-y mac from Hearty Vegan Meals is one of my favorite ways to use the small chunk TVP.

http://justthefood.blogspot.com/2012/10 ... aroni.html

Joni also wrote a helpful post on cooking with TVP:

http://justthefood.blogspot.com/2012/10 ... y-tvp.html

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

A great recipe with TVP are the All American Incrediburgers from American Vegan Kitchen. Tami posted the recipe on her website as well:
http://www.veganappetite.com/2010/03/al ... rgers.html

It uses TVP and Gluten flour so you can increase your experiences with both :)

The burgers have a fantastic texture and are my go to recipe for burger patties. I always have some in my freezer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My husband and I like TVP chunks in the Veganomicon cholent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:48 am 
Saggy Butt

The burgers in VWAV use TVP and are really tasty and easy to make.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the cookbook Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites uses TVP quite a bit and all the recipes are really yummy. my omni husband has liked everything ive made from that book.

the Sloppy Joni's which use TVP are one of our favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow, thanks y'all so much for all the comments and links to recipes! it's much appreciated!

Butternut wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

Honestly, seitan and tempeh, to a lesser extent, are so much better than TVP it's not even funny. Making seitan at home is not hard and it's very rewarding.

oh i believe you ;) I have no idea why I am having trouble getting over my fear of tempeh and seitan. i think tempeh makes me nervous because i've been advised to steam it for 10 or so minutes to help get rid of any bitterness. so know that tempeh may be bitter to mine or my hubby's tastebuds makes me nervous, plus it would be a big bummer if we spent the time to make a dish featuring tempeh and then both found it sadly not to our liking. but hey, things like that happen.
and "wheat meat" just doesn't sound very yummy, although ages and ages and ages ago i tried the riblets from gardenburger (not sure if they are vegan as i wasn't a vegan then) and they were sooo good. i'm guessing the riblets were seitan based......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 am 
ugh

I don't think tempeh is necessarily "better," it's just another tasty protein option. I can say I've had good tempeh and not so good tempeh. I don't find the Lightlife three grain tempeh to be very bitter, and their smoky tempeh strips (aka "fakin' bacon") are also delicious. There's a local (to me) company that makes tempeh and tofu, and I want to love them, but man, their tempeh is BITTER.

I guess the point of all that was: if you do try tempeh and find it not so good, don't write it off right away because it could be the brand!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 am 
ugh

Oh, I should mention it can be the same for seitan, too, since there are so many ways to prepare it. My favs (which are also the easiest, IMO) are the Italian sausages in Vegan Brunch and the white seitan in Viva Vegan. Both recipes are steamed first, and then taste awesome diced and sauteed in a little oil.

I'm also a big soy curl fan but you need to order a few bags to make the shipping cost worthwhile. If you're not sure about them you could split an order with another PPKer near you (if there is one), though honestly if you like TVP you'll definitely like soy curls, too! They're dehydrated just like TVP so they can be prepared the same way, though they're much larger chunks - they're very chicken-y in texture.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've been vegan for six years and only once had tempeh and hated it. Also, I get heartburn from Seitan, so all I eat of those things really is tofu and tvp.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

dont feel bad about fearing tempeh.
tempeh seems to have split vegans down the middle.
many people love tempeh.

then there are those of us who think it's nasty....
ive only found one way to make tempeh that i can stomach and basically the flavor of it is totally masked.

im not trying to dissuade you from trying tempeh in anyway.
certainly go and try it. you may be one of the people who love it.
but if you try it and you think it tastes icky you are not alone. ;-)

i think TVP is great and i think it's super easy (well the recipes ive used anyways)
i buy the Bob's Red Mill bag so i think it's the smaller crumbles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

bookwormbethie wrote:
thanks for the tip, didn't know the meat(less) subs from VSSTD used TVP.

The recipe calls for vital wheat gluten too.

We have recently made the smokey curls using soy curls from vegan diner and made BLTs with them. We also made the beefy cheesy Mac from hearty meals which calls for tvp. We just started using tvp and my husband loves it as well. :)