| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advice for someone who has never been to NYC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh! And! My husband loves coffee (he has a coffee tattoo) and I feel like he'll be cranky if we don't get him sufficiently caffeinated each day. Best coffee places with stuff like soy espresso-based drinks?

in what areas, roughly? you can always go to starbucks, and there's one on every corner, but it should also be easy enough to avoid them if you want to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:37 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Well, that's hard to say. We will avoid Starbucks if we can, because I'm sure we can do better than that, and we have Starbucks here at home. We're probably staying in the LES, but will travel to get good coffee, especially espresso based soy concoctions (this is coming from someone who doesn't drink coffee, so bonus points if the indie coffee shop has vegan hot cocoa).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i like bluebird coffee (east 1st at 1st ave.), but i don't know whether they can make you a vegan hot chocolate. i think lula's can, though. personally, i think stumptown coffee is the greatest coffee in all the land, and they have a cafe in manhattan now (18 w. 29th near broadway).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Have you settled on 12-16 November? If so, that's when I'll be in NY! I'd lovelovelove to meet you if we're in the city at the same time. I haven't actually booked my tickets yet, but I planned on spending the 15th in the city.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ariann wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
doncherryfan wrote:
2) Almost any good bagel place for a bagel with veggie tofutti cream cheese

Yeah, I feel like this needs to be part of our NYC experience. Any recommendations?
Also, Jewish bakeries where I can get knishes?

There's a bagel place on Broadway up in the 80s (sorry, don't remember exactly what street) that is amazing - somebody help me out with name? Not a whole lot else up there to see, but if you're going to be on the upper west side for something I'd make a trip.

Wow, my memory is sad. Not the 80s. I was thinking of Absolute Bagels, which I actually think is 107-108th on Broadway. Someone even started another thread about it in the NYC forum. They have great bagels and like a hundred tofutti flavors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My extreme coffee snob partner believes that Ninth Street Espresso has the best espresso in NYC. They will be happy to make you drinks with soy milk, and they're close to Lula's!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'll be in New York this November too!! I'll be celebrating my 30th. I thought I'd be wandering the city on my own, but turns out my dad is coming with me (heh, I think he was afraid I'd get lost/kidnapped/murdered if I went on my own!). I'll be perusing this thread and the rest of this forum for tips/ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
Have you settled on 12-16 November? If so, that's when I'll be in NY! I'd lovelovelove to meet you if we're in the city at the same time. I haven't actually booked my tickets yet, but I planned on spending the 15th in the city.

Yes! The 12-16! Let's plan to meetup. Infact, who else is down for a dinner or Lula's meetup?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

pepperpot wrote:
I'll be in New York this November too!! I'll be celebrating my 30th. I thought I'd be wandering the city on my own, but turns out my dad is coming with me (heh, I think he was afraid I'd get lost/kidnapped/murdered if I went on my own!). I'll be perusing this thread and the rest of this forum for tips/ideas!

Hey pepperpot - when is your birthday?! I guess going to NYC for your 30th is what all the Chicago vegans do! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ifer wrote:
pepperpot wrote:

Hey pepperpot - when is your birthday?! I guess going to NYC for your 30th is what all the Chicago vegans do! :)

Mine's Nov. 25. When is yours?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It seems like several of us were planning to visit NYC this month. Is anyone else thinking of cancelling or postponing their trip? I've been dying to go, but after Sandy things don't sound good out there. Hopefully (especially for the sake of people who live there!) it will get much better within the next two weeks...?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:39 am 
rowdily playing checkers

All of Manhattan is supposed to get power back by Saturday, and damage to the parts of New York you're likely to visit have been pretty minimal. Most of the parks will reopen on Saturday, too, and I assume food supply chains will be re-established in short order.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am 

I can't really cancel anyway, plane tickets and accommodations are booked, so I'll be there rain or shine. I've been worried that it would impact my trip in a big way since we'll be staying in the LES, but my husband keeps trying to remind me that NYC can't just be shut down forever, and they'll be attempting to restore normality post haste. Thanks for the update, mumbles!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i have a feeling things will be back to normalish by the time you get here, at least as far as most of the stuff a visitor would want to see/do in NYC in november!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Like PP, I have no choice, but I suspect everything will be back to normal by the time I get there. And it doesn't seem like Brooklyn was hit too hard - a friend of mine stays there and wasn't evacuated and didn't seem to be having any issues.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:57 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I also have no choice as flights are booked, but I think/hope Manhattan will be mostly back to normal in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Those who are visiting may want to give some special attention to small businesses who were shut for nearly a week without power. Manhattan below about 34th street could use the business.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Looks like our trip is going on as planned. I feel much better after reading the updates here. Thanks! Any chance of the Intrepid museum or the Statue/Ellis island being opened within a week? We leave one week from tomorrow. So excited!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:03 pm 

JillW wrote:
Those who are visiting may want to give some special attention to small businesses who were shut for nearly a week without power. Manhattan below about 34th street could use the business.

Definitely! I plan on patronizing as many small businesses as I can in the neighbourhood we're staying in (LES).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JillW wrote:

What do you suggest? I'm not really doing a lot of shopping and mostly spending my money on food. Does Yonah Schimmel count?

ETA - To clarify, I'm really, really not being sarcastic. I'd like to spend my money the best way possible, even if it's only on food.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yes Yonah Schimmel is probably a good example of businesses that suffered merely from being forced to close from power outage. Also losing food due to lack of refrigeration. Also any number of delis, green grocers, locally owned pharmacies (yeah they still exist barely) etc.

Also bars have suffered, and the employees who surely lost shifts and wages for no other reason than lack of power. There are also some bars, etc on Ave C that experienced flooding but are already operational even while repairs are happening. This area was one of the worst hit in Manhattan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Babycakes was also without power for a while... just in case you need an excuse to go there (plus it's in the LES)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, it looks like I might not have time to get to Yonah Schimmel before I go upstate. Anyone know of another place near Port Authority to get either knish or bagels? I'll only have about 30 minutes to get there, get stuff, and get back.