| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 523  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I almost feel like we should start a new thread for stevia.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:54 am 
Tofu Pup

I went to the doctor yesterday- got hit with some crazy exhaustion and tummy troubles.

She says to me " For the next 4-5 days eat really bland food" then she gets this look like a light bulb turns on in her head "Oh wait you're still vegan right- you always eat bland- you're good"

what the fizzle? I wanted to smack her with one of Isa's cookbooks and demand to know where the hell she gets her seasonings/herbs that they're made from all animal.

what the fizzle

I became Vegan for health reasons. I AM 100% for the ethical treatment of animals. But-I won't lie about, or apologize for, why I made this lifestyle change.
Organically, Me

Why did the tofu cross the road?
To prove he wasn't chicken.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

pandacookie wrote:
This greatly displeases me. I may make a run to Canada to stock up on their Canadian Peppermint Chocolate soymilk. I don't want coconut flavouring in my dang peppermint chocolate soymilk.

This exists? I am in Canada and I don't see any Peppermint Chocolate Soymilk running through the fields...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 am 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
creep wrote:
I don't even think it tastes bitter. It just makes things taste kind of off, and it leaves this weird filmy aftertaste/feel.
This. Sugar is a flavor enhancer, stevia makes things taste like stevia.
EXACTLY. And I can never quite put my finger on what's wrong with it, but somehow it's just...wrong (as my partner's daughters would put it, "It has a taste").

In fact, I'm afraid that eating it might fill us up with Satan's demonic babbies:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/mia-farrow?before=1300831321

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
I have never had nog, stevia or any of these types of milk. My knowledge of milk is exclusively limited to unsweetened soya, homemade plain almond and Kara plain coconut. I have never had any kind of yoghurt, cream or icecream which isn't soya.

Out of the club.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are not missing anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 am 

Moon wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
This greatly displeases me. I may make a run to Canada to stock up on their Canadian Peppermint Chocolate soymilk. I don't want coconut flavouring in my dang peppermint chocolate soymilk.

This exists? I am in Canada and I don't see any Peppermint Chocolate Soymilk running through the fields...

I haven't seen it out yet, but we had it here on the west coast last year. It's pretty great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 am 
WRETCHED

I think tastebuds differ in terms of artificial sweeteners because to me, stevia doesn't have a taste.

Also, I'm sad because I haven't seen any holiday soy milks yet in the stores. Usually target has them and my husband went to WF yesterday and they didn't have them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sullyn wrote:
I went to the doctor yesterday- got hit with some crazy exhaustion and tummy troubles.

She says to me " For the next 4-5 days eat really bland food" then she gets this look like a light bulb turns on in her head "Oh wait you're still vegan right- you always eat bland- you're good"

what the fizzle? I wanted to smack her with one of Isa's cookbooks and demand to know where the hell she gets her seasonings/herbs that they're made from all animal.

what the fizzle

When I first went vegan my grandmother got me Penzy's Spices for Christmas. Awesome! Then she "I figured that since now you're eating some bland food". Really, grams? This from a family that starts off every get together with generous portions of hummus and olives. You know, VEGAN food!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:14 am 
ugh

Nick, I would let my family think whatever they want about vegans if that means I'll get Penzey's stuff out of it! I just went to one for the first time last weekend, it was like a religious experience.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

vijita wrote:
Moon wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I haven't seen it out yet, but we had it here on the west coast last year. It's pretty great stuff.

This exists (Vitasoy brand!) and it is so good. When I see it, I stock up because it disappears quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

nickvicious wrote:
Sullyn wrote:

what the fizzle

When I first went vegan my grandmother got me Penzy's Spices for Christmas. Awesome! Then she "I figured that since now you're eating some bland food". Really, grams? This from a family that starts off every get together with generous portions of hummus and olives. You know, VEGAN food!

I find this really funny since I've been cooking with a lot more different spices when I started cutting out meat. Nowadays our meals in a week cycle through chinese/mexican/indian flavours and that makes me a very happy camper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

linanil wrote:
I think all of you are crazy concerning stevia but I also think alcohol ruins the flavor of drinks more than anything so hey.

Not to say that I think stevia should replace sugar in things but I use stevia and think it is fine.

Maybe stevia is the new cilantro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I used to hate cilantro and now love it. I am 100% sure that I will always hate stevia. jussayin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ugh. Cilantro. I'm trying to teach myself how to like it. I agree with creep though, not sure if I can teach myself to like stevia. Although, I do tend to dislike most non sugar sweeteners.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

I've learned to like cilantro a little, probably solely because of Chipotle burrito bowls. I still don't like a ton of whole leaves on anything though; all I taste is SOAP.

Stevia (yeah, it probably should have its own thread) is tricky. I made one awesome iced latte with a mix of the liquid peppermint and vanilla ones, but I have ruined so many since that I wonder what was wrong with me that first time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:52 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've learned to love cilantro! I haaaated it for a long time, but now I feel like it's an essential taste in certain dishes and types of cuisine (namely South Asian and Mexican).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 am 
WELFARIST!

I used to hate cilantro too, but now I can't imagine life without it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 pm 
WRETCHED

I grew up eating cilantro and I always liked it but I've had a hard time with other parsleys. I used to hate cilantro because my mom would always make me prep it which meant separating each leaf from the stem. Then I saw a demo of someone (maybe Isa?) with cilantro and they were chopping it, no leaf separating, just chopping stem and all. That changed my relationship with cilantro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 pm 

linanil wrote:
I grew up eating cilantro and I always liked it but I've had a hard time with other parsleys. I used to hate cilantro because my mom would always make me prep it which meant separating each leaf from the stem. Then I saw a demo of someone (maybe Isa?) with cilantro and they were chopping it, no leaf separating, just chopping stem and all. That changed my relationship with cilantro.

Ha! There was a vegan event in Vancouver about 6 years ago and I volunteered to help Isa with the cooking. I remember painstakingly separating each leaf from the stem because I didn't want to mess up (I think we were making the butternut squash summer rolls from V'con), and Isa came over and was like "oh, you don't have to do that". Ever since I celebrate cilantro stems. But I am a cilantro lover.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

Stevia thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23709

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:13 pm 
A Bad Person

Wait. There are people who don't like cilantro? And there are people who don't separate the leaves from the stem??? What planet am I on?!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Sullyn wrote:

what the fizzle

Bacon. It's the only seasoning that counts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Apparently the soap taste of cilantro is genetic: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 01124.html

And I usually pinch and slide my fingers down the stem to remove the leaves. If some stem breaks off and ends in the mix, who cares.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't think it tastes like soap but I hate the smell and taste.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:09 pm 
WRETCHED

there is also a genetic component that makes broccoli taste like metal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 523  Next