| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Moving In
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A year. But we lived a couple of blocks apart so we spent most nights together for months before that. We'd sort of discussed it but hadn't really started looking for a place (we were both living with our families at the time), then our best friend called to say that an apartment across the street from her had a for lease sign in the window. We called the landlord, let ourselves into the (unlocked and vacant) place to have a look around, called the landlord back and were approved. The whole process took like 45 minutes from getting the call from our friend to having a place to live! It was a good time to move, and it was the best apartment ever so it was like fate or something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:37 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Well we did long distance the first 5 months, and then once I moved to the same city with my own apartment we never actually spent a night apart. We officially moved in together 2 months later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I think it was about 7 months. We were worried that it was too soon, but the way our separate apartment leases fell, we figured we'd want to move in together within a few months of renewing. So we figured we'd just go for it. And now we've been married 3 years.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm 
Chip Strong

My husband & I moved in together after about 6 months of dating, I think? Guess it worked out ok, we have been married 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 am 
Smuggling Raisins

In my last relationship, we moved in way too quickly (2 mos. without having known each other before dating) and then moved across country together... It ended in a horrible way. My current partner and I were BFF's for 3 years before we got together and he moved in after we'd been dating about five months because of a financial emergency. It was supposed to be temporary, but he's still here 5 months later, we're quite happy, and it's going well. I think you need to know the person really well. And really talk about what you need out of a relationship and a living situation first. If it's compatible, go for it...But make sure you have equal legal rights to the place, and don't give up all your stuff ;)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

2.5 years. We were long distance most of that time, and we had been ready for it way, way before the stars aligned. It didn't come with a feeling of "yay! exciting!" , more like "urgh, finally". Also we did it by moving to the end of the world together, so it's a good thing we were more than ready, because there was no way out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

1 day :P We were just friends then I needed a place to crash when I was visiting his city. I never left!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

About ten months, but I was living abroad for six of those. We started planning the move after about two months and basically spent every waking moment together when I wasn't living in Germany. We, however, were struck by love at first sight and almost started planning our wedding after three days, so there may have been a touch of the crazies to how we made our decisions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 am 
Inflexitarian

At 18, I moved in with a boyfriend after about 2 months (though we had known each other for longer). This turned into around 4 years of really bad badness, so I would never be quite that hasty again. My current boyfriend and I have been together around 10 months. We spend about 4 - 5 nights a week together, and any days off, but we still live seperately. We have talked about it but neither of us are really in the financial position to make a move right now. We definitely would if we could, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:35 am 
Saggy Butt

Matt and I were married for three years before I let him move into my house.

just kidding, we were dating for about a year and a half when my sister and i bought the duplex we lived in, separated into the two apartments and both our boos moved in. She and her boy had been dating for about 6 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did the gradual move in. We were friends for a couple of months before we hooked up (he was the other man! Slutty me.. I did not do long distance relationships well) and then I moved to the other side of the city, but got a job through his mom. So for a while I was living in the apartment with my dad, but spending one night at Mike's. And then it became two. Then I started only going home on weekends. Within about 6 months I told my dad to go ahead and look for a one bedroom instead of a two bedroom apartment. But I moved in to his family home and we lived with his parents and 3 out of 4 of his brothers for..... 7 years?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I was all ready to be like "people should WAIT! A looooong time" but then I realized that my boyfriend/fiance and I moved in together after two months of dating. We've now been together for seven years, so it seems to have worked out just fine, but we were also a bit older (I was 23, he was 30). I had a bit of growing up to do at first, and caused a lot of unnecessary problems, but ultimately I definitely don't regret it.

I should add that despite the fairly quick move-in time, during the course of our relationship I lived away and we did long-distance, due to my schooling/jobs. Which was fine, and refreshing, if not economically difficult. When I went to grad school in a different city I was freaked when Jay didn't take to Vancouver and I assumed we'd end up breaking up, but that was so not the case...it made our relationship stronger and helped me grow as a person. So I guess I feel like both are good choices with the right relationship?

Last edited by vijita on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:00 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I once moved in with someone two months before we started dating. But that's New York for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was totally the person who was "Girls my age say they're in love too fast, that they're going to marry their BFs, etc etc" so when Mike and I were talking about how many kids we wanted (him 4, me 0) and talking about marriage (I told him I was NOT going to get married until we had been together 7 years, which we did) I felt like the biggest hypocrite. I was only 18 when we started dating. I consider myself an extremely lucky person.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mumbles wrote:
I once moved in with someone two months before we started dating. But that's New York for you.

ha! when i first moved into that apartment with a weird roommate i kept thinking "omg, can i just find a boyfriend so i can have someone to move in with already?" seemed easier than trying to find a good roommate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
1 day :P We were just friends then I needed a place to crash when I was visiting his city. I never left!

Haha thank you. Now I don't feel so bad that I did pretty much the same thing. Sounds terrible when you say "we moved in together the same day we started dating"

we met online, (on a messageboard in fact), and had been talking on the phone etc for months. Now the forker wont leave, 10 years later. At least he put a ring on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Jason and I dated for 3 years before we moved in together. We lived in an apartment for another year and a half, and bought a house together last year. We moved pretty slowly, but some of that was because we worked together for the first couple of years and were could have been fired for dating (he was my boss) so we obviously couldn't have the same address until after I changed jobs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

approx. one year

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Three months. We spent a lot of time together and when I decided to go back to school it made more sense to move in with him rather than rent an apartment or commute from my parent's home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I moved in with my partner after about 8 months of dating. I thought it was a terrible idea, but I didn't have much choice. My roommate had started abusing my cat, so I had to get out.

My partner, myself, and my cat have been happily living together for the past two years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Less than a week. This is crazy talk I know, but we were young and thought it would be a good idea. 4.5 years later we are still going strong. I think this is some uncanny luck though

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:48 pm 
Chip Strong

My partner and I moved in together after 8 months, but I guess it's different for us in that we're not living together now. I was looking for a new place, and the place I ended up moving into have two rooms going, so they ended up following me because they weren't happy in their place, and thought, "why not?". I took a bit of persuading (I thought it was too soon), but it turned out well. We lived together for six months, and would have kept living together, but the rental market was tough, so when we moved out of that place it ended up being impossible to find a place together, and we both moved into separate sharehouses.

We're now still living in separate houses (and don't want to move in together again anytime soon, but maybe one day in a few years or something), in a different state, but still very much together (it's been 3 years). I think it worked out really well for us because we knew that deciding not to live together would be fine and wouldn't necessarily mean breaking up. It's nice to have that kind of flexibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I moved in with my boyfriend and his parents when I was nineteen, after three months of knowing him, because my home life was so bad that I just literally could not live there anymore. We've been together for over three years now, which is pretty good. However, we still live with his parents, and it began to get annoying about two years ago. Unfortunately, we can't afford to live on our own yet.

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Owlish wrote:
I moved in with my boyfriend and his parents when I was nineteen, after three months of knowing him, because my home life was so bad that I just literally could not live there anymore. We've been together for over three years now, which is pretty good. However, we still live with his parents, and it began to get annoying about two years ago. Unfortunately, we can't afford to live on our own yet.

I lived with my husband and his family for almost 7 years! They were very adamant that instead of finding a place to rent together, we save up with them until we could buy a place. And that's what we did. I was very lucky to be able to put down 10% of our home's price because of them. But I am super duper lucky to have inlaws that I really adore.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Moon wrote:
Owlish wrote:

I lived with my husband and his family for almost 7 years! They were very adamant that instead of finding a place to rent together, we save up with them until we could buy a place. And that's what we did. I was very lucky to be able to put down 10% of our home's price because of them. But I am super duper lucky to have inlaws that I really adore.

I like them, and they've been very generous, but sometimes they make me feel like I'm a burden. And they complain and snip at each other almost constantly.

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl