| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Desdemona wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
What brand should I look for? I don't drink many spirits, but I'd like to try rum. I'd also like to be a saucy lass.
If you want to get all fancy Gosling's Black Seal is supergood but kind of spendy. Bacardi or anything halfway decent will do as long as it's the dark stuff; just not that gross Captain Morgan rubbish with spices, etc., already added to it!

I might try the Gosling's Black Seal if I can find a smallish bottle. I really like the seal on the bottle. OK, this, plus spices. Holiday in mouth. Got it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
What brand should I look for? I don't drink many spirits, but I'd like to try rum. I'd also like to be a saucy lass.
If you want to get all fancy Gosling's Black Seal is supergood but kind of spendy. Bacardi or anything halfway decent will do as long as it's the dark stuff; just not that gross Captain Morgan rubbish with spices, etc., already added to it!

I might try the Gosling's Black Seal if I can find a smallish bottle. I really like the seal on the bottle. OK, this, plus spices. Holiday in mouth. Got it!
Yes!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

^ I wanted a dark 'n stormy this summer so I bought a bottle of Gosling's, only to go home and see that I already had half a bottle. I am SET for nog season.

I also like the peppermint schnapps / hot chocolate idea; that's going to happen too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

nickvicious wrote:
Apparently the soap taste of cilantro is genetic: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 01124.html

So I'd seen this before, and blamed the fact that I thought cilantro tasted like soap on my genes, but now I really like it. I'm skeptical.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:28 pm 

linanil wrote:
there is also a genetic component that makes broccoli taste like metal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My friend's husband posted this stupid thing on facebook about all the products that come from a cow. Some of it is legit but some sounds like bs. He's always being a jerk to me about veganism despite me never bringing it up to him and actually being very accomodating when he and his wife visit us. I just know he posted the stupid thing to be a gotcha to me. My pet peeve is passive aggressive preachy omnivores who don't understand what veganism is about.

Here's the stupid meme. It's pretty old. Glad I never saw it before!
http://www.ilovetofu.ca/2010/10/22/are-vegans-extinct/

Eta my other unrelated pet peeve: Going to my workplace's cafeteria only to find that all the vegan/vegetarian hot meals are sold out. It's great that people are choosing the veg options for lunch, but now I'm out of luck. I've complained to the manager before but his solution was for me to get lunch earlier ( I was there at 1). Um, how about just offerig fewer meat dishes and more veg dishes!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

creep wrote:
nickvicious wrote:
Apparently the soap taste of cilantro is genetic: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 01124.html

So I'd seen this before, and blamed the fact that I thought cilantro tasted like soap on my genes, but now I really like it. I'm skeptical.

Apparently genes are only partly responsible and people can learn to like it. And if I learned how to like mustard, nay, LOVE mustard, then I think anyone can learn to like cilantro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

crasshole who works in the bakery next to where I work told me if I ate a filet mignon, I'd change my mind.

No one forking asked you. I thought vegans were supposed to be the pushy ones?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

There's a point along the cilantro bunch in which it goes from being mostly stem to mostly leaves. I chop here and discard the stems, then chop and include the rest. I am way too lazy to dick around separating individual leaves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm 
Nooch of Earl

<= oops, pardon the language. I totally expected that to be filtered. Filter hole, filter hole!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

couroupita wrote:
My friend's husband posted this stupid thing on facebook about all the products that come from a cow. Some of it is legit but some sounds like bs. He's always being a jerk to me about veganism despite me never bringing it up to him and actually being very accomodating when he and his wife visit us. I just know he posted the stupid thing to be a gotcha to me. My pet peeve is passive aggressive preachy omnivores who don't understand what veganism is about.

My friends sister tagged me on a post kind of like the one you're talking about. It was from Facebook Fail or something like that where someone posted an update that stated plywood has animal bi-products in it so vegans are now challenged...something like that. I promptly untagged myself once I finally saw that. It peeved me off but I didn't say anything- I might next time though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh! Went on an ice cream run and all there was was stupid coconut and almond ice cream. In the small containers. $5.99 for coconut based, which tastes like coconut. I want my big container of soy ice cream and I want it now. I talked to the "dairy manager" and he was like, "I will talk to my manager about it." Better bring back the soy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

GymClassZero wrote:
crasshole who works in the bakery next to where I work told me if I ate a filet mignon, I'd change my mind.

No one forking asked you. I thought vegans were supposed to be the pushy ones?

My mom is actually kind of funny. She pronounces it "vay-gun". At least she never asks me if I eat chicken!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

People who expect me to know every vegan or non-vegan food dye or additive ever. I don't forking know. I have to look it up and that doesn't make me less vegan than anyone else. Jeez.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The kale salad at Trader Joe's has a MAYO dressing?! That hurts a little, TJ's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

Is it regular mayo or their vegan mayo?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:28 am 
WRETCHED

After 2 people near me were talking about slaughtering of a cow, one of the people looks at me and apologizes for all the cow killing talk. I said something like I don't care, in terms that I know they eat meat and if I cared, I would've went somewhere else. The other person starts talking about how we are omnivores and meant to be omnivores so I did walk away. I don't criticize them for their food choices but my choices are criticized?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 am 

linanil wrote:
After 2 people near me were talking about slaughtering of a cow, one of the people looks at me and apologizes for all the cow killing talk. I said something like I don't care, in terms that I know they eat meat and if I cared, I would've went somewhere else. The other person starts talking about how we are omnivores and meant to be omnivores so I did walk away. I don't criticize them for their food choices but my choices are criticized?

I usually say "Don't apologize to me, apologize to the cow." It comes off enough like "joking" that most people don't get quite as defensive when I say it, but it at least makes them think about what they're saying at least a little bit. It's dependent on your tone of voice though, so...it's kinda hard to convey its effectiveness just by typing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Amy wrote:
The idea of kale salad is just awful. Crazy Americans and their kale fetish...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Gulliver wrote:
Amy wrote:

I was fairly skeptical until I tried making it with just a bit of avocado, apple cider vinegar, garlic and salt. Surprisingly tasty.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 am 
WRETCHED

Quarantined wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Amy wrote:

I was fairly skeptical until I tried making it with just a bit of avocado, apple cider vinegar, garlic and salt. Surprisingly tasty.

I agree, it is pure deliciousness. I'd also add a little nooch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

All these pills coated in gelatine :( had an infection and called up doctors on Friday...got antibiotics, got them home and realised they are coated in ick. By this time it was about 6pm and no doctors till monday...had to just suck it up and take them, but still...I do not like that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 am 
WRETCHED

Vixki - you do the best you can, medications are the one place where I will find alternatives where I can but otherwise, I don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my sister in law posted on facebook yesterday asking for peoples' suggestions for their favorite vegetarian soup and her aunt was like "how about a seafood stew? that's vegetarian right?" and she was dead serious.

oy vey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 am 
Ninja Master

I don't understand why anyone would separate the leaves from the stems on coriander/cilantro? The stems have loads of flavour! Just chop it small.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 482  Next