| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, 1132 ... 1858  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 pm 
Inflexitarian

ndpittman wrote:
When you poke it, does it hurt?

No, not even a little bit, which is another way it's peculiar.

Meh. If I'm still feeling worried about it on Monday I'll just go to a drop-in clinic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Tea wrote:
I have a bruise which has gotten a lot worse after attending a metal concert and moshing all night. Like, it's super dark. Could it be skin cancer?

If it's a bruise, it's normal.

A bruise is damaged tissue under the skin which burst small blood vessels.

As the blood under the skin gets older, the blood is broken down and that gives the different colours. A bruise can go from blue-ish to deep purple and when it fades it will turn yellow on the edges of the spot.

So I think it's normal that it gets darker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

linanil wrote:
A friend asked me to do a favor for a project she is working on for an international, well recognized organization. Basically, they need experts in various fields, mine included, to rate group projects presented by high school students. I figured, sure, why not? I can tell you why not, they are horrible. I figured since they had a teacher as a sponsor it wouldn't be that bad and I could be not be too critical. The problem is they are so bad, don't meet the objectives and I want to give every one I read a low score.

I don't know what I am going to do. I can either rate them poorly but then feel bad that I'm being too critical. Or not rate them at all and feel bad for letting my friend down.

Can you talk to your friend about your dilemma and ask what she would like you to do?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what I want to do on my trip. There are so many things to do and places to eat and they're all so far apart! And not just in NYC - everywhere! I'm getting a little overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

j-dub wrote:
linanil wrote:
A friend asked me to do a favor for a project she is working on for an international, well recognized organization. Basically, they need experts in various fields, mine included, to rate group projects presented by high school students. I figured, sure, why not? I can tell you why not, they are horrible. I figured since they had a teacher as a sponsor it wouldn't be that bad and I could be not be too critical. The problem is they are so bad, don't meet the objectives and I want to give every one I read a low score.

I don't know what I am going to do. I can either rate them poorly but then feel bad that I'm being too critical. Or not rate them at all and feel bad for letting my friend down.

Can you talk to your friend about your dilemma and ask what she would like you to do?

Yeah, that would be my suggestion too.

I was in a similar situation once; when I was working in HIV education I had to go in and grade high school students' class projects on topics related to HIV, and it was an absolute nightmare. Each project had been done by a group of 3-4 students, and I not only had to grade them, but then I had to sit with each group and discuss the projects with them! I basically just refused to give them grades, because it was totally impossible to grade these projects, and I just sat with each group and asked them questions to find out whether they really knew anything about HIV or if there were any gaps I could possibly fill in for them, and I discreetly let their teacher know which papers I had found were copy-pasted from sketchy websites (half of them) or had such poor grammar that I actually could not understand what they were trying to say (the other half). This was an honors English class at an affluent suburban public school. I was so embarrassed for these students...I can't even bring myself to call them "kids"; these were 17-18 year olds, most of them on their way to college.

I can't imagine ever agreeing to do something like that again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 pm 
WRETCHED

choirqueer wrote:
j-dub wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yeah, that would be my suggestion too.

I was in a similar situation once; when I was working in HIV education I had to go in and grade high school students' class projects on topics related to HIV, and it was an absolute nightmare. Each project had been done by a group of 3-4 students, and I not only had to grade them, but then I had to sit with each group and discuss the projects with them! I basically just refused to give them grades, because it was totally impossible to grade these projects, and I just sat with each group and asked them questions to find out whether they really knew anything about HIV or if there were any gaps I could possibly fill in for them, and I discreetly let their teacher know which papers I had found were copy-pasted from sketchy websites (half of them) or had such poor grammar that I actually could not understand what they were trying to say (the other half). This was an honors English class at an affluent suburban public school. I was so embarrassed for these students...I can't even bring myself to call them "kids"; these were 17-18 year olds, most of them on their way to college.

I can't imagine ever agreeing to do something like that again.

I am going to try to talk to my friend tomorrow. I don't know quite what I expected but definitely not what I got. I figured I would have to cut the kids some slack but it is definitely more what I would expect from someone in 5th or 6th grade than 11 or 12th.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:

Welcome to my life. Nothing ever meets objectives and most students don't much care about anything, including, it seems, graduation.

Rate them as they deserve while being reasonably generous where it's not crucial.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joshua wrote:
happy world vegan day :)

!!!! :))
vegans! woo!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Why oh why is this damn dog so hyper so early in the morning?! Looks like we will have to go to the beach for a couple of hours today.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:05 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

paprikapapaya wrote:
Fortunately, I can listen to music. I've been finding that listening to good music breaks my concentration too, but perhaps I should give it another shot. So frustrating...the president of the company I work for keeps talking about how younger people LOVE open office offices; how it promotes collaboration, socialization and creativity. Dude, I'm young, and I hate this shiitake. It stunts creativity, and I hate collaboration!

I think this article needs to find its way to your boss.

I'm fairly certain I would be going absolutely nuts if i was in your shoes, paprikapapaya. It sucks that your work environment is making you miserable right now.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 am 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:

Welcome to my life. Nothing ever meets objectives and most students don't much care about anything, including, it seems, graduation.

Rate them as they deserve while being reasonably generous where it's not crucial.

And it makes it doubly confusing because these should be students that have taken an advanced science elective or are currently in an advanced science elective. They may also be in a science club. They get to pick the topic and the only thing they get out of doing it is something for their college resume and possibly a college scholarship. So overall, I'd think they would be more motivated than your average high school student.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the soup I've been eating for my lunch is upsetting my stomach. I might have to find something else to eat, which sucks because it's the best store-bought option I've found.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've run out of chili powder. I didn't realise I was so low and I was even in the asian market yesterday. I feel like such a bad vegan. A house without chili powder is no house at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

daisychain wrote:
I've run out of chili powder. I didn't realise I was so low and I was even in the asian market yesterday. I feel like such a bad vegan. A house without chili powder is no house at all.

That doesn't make you a bad vegan! It just makes you a bad person.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

daisychain wrote:
Why oh why is this damn dog so hyper so early in the morning?! Looks like we will have to go to the beach for a couple of hours today.

I have an opposite dog. For her, the hyperness starts at 9pm. My mother calls it the witching hour. It starts very suddenly. The dog will just start tearing around the house, crashing into furniture, grabbing things, biting the other dog's neck, leaping at people... We end up having to take her outside in the dark every night to try to get her energy out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:

And it makes it doubly confusing because these should be students that have taken an advanced science elective or are currently in an advanced science elective. They may also be in a science club. They get to pick the topic and the only thing they get out of doing it is something for their college resume and possibly a college scholarship. So overall, I'd think they would be more motivated than your average high school student.

Well, the thing is, they have never been expected to stretch themselves. Especially with the whole NCLB crepe, the entire focus of our educational system is now on aiming for mediocrity. We are doing a lot of great things to help struggling students, but nobody much worries about the bright ones, so they get bored and stagnate.

I really don't think they genuinely know how to produce true quality work because all they ever need to do is connect the dots in a fairly rote fashion.

I think this group of students makes me even sadder than the "don't cares." I feel that the "don't cares" might figure it out in a couple years, the hard way, but the unchallenged might just never figure out what they can achieve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

creep wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I needed this laugh. This is sig worthy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lepelaar wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Fortunately, I can listen to music. I've been finding that listening to good music breaks my concentration too, but perhaps I should give it another shot. So frustrating...the president of the company I work for keeps talking about how younger people LOVE open office offices; how it promotes collaboration, socialization and creativity. Dude, I'm young, and I hate this shiitake. It stunts creativity, and I hate collaboration!

I think this article needs to find its way to your boss.

I'm fairly certain I would be going absolutely nuts if i was in your shoes, paprikapapaya. It sucks that your work environment is making you miserable right now.

Thanks, lepelaar! I have a pretty good rapport with my immediate boss, so I totally did send him that article, haha. He sent me a funny Dilbert comic back about how much open concept offices suck.
It just sucks because I went from loving my job to dreading each day, all because of this environmental change, which is huge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

creep wrote:
daisychain wrote:

LMFAO!!!!!!!

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Daisychain wrote:

I have an opposite dog. For her, the hyperness starts at 9pm. My mother calls it the witching hour. It starts very suddenly. The dog will just start tearing around the house, crashing into furniture, grabbing things, biting the other dog's neck, leaping at people... We end up having to take her outside in the dark every night to try to get her energy out.

Thejoys of dogs! Lexie is wired all bloody day. No amount of exercise and activity wears her out. I do love her though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I guess I am going to have to stop posting soon so my very fitting forum rank will stick. :P LOL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lavawitch wrote:
I really don't think they genuinely know how to produce true quality work because all they ever need to do is connect the dots in a fairly rote fashion.

For a lot of kids, it really does boil down to this. One of my favorite teachers used to say that the most important skill most students learn is how to bullshiitake.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kilgore trout wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

For a lot of kids, it really does boil down to this. One of my favorite teachers used to say that the most important skill most students learn is how to bullshiitake.

I'd agree with all of that. I only ever felt challenged in my AP classes in high school, and I pretty much wouldn't even do the work for the other ones, because I was completely uninterested. Same with college, except only my last couple 4000-level classes were difficult, and I got my bachelors degree in 3 years. I don't really know what to do about it though. It seems like expectations have been super-lowered all over the place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My band has its first (and probably only) show tonight.
I am not looking forward to it- we aren't prepared enough and we don't sound that great and the bassist and drummer are quitting after tonight. Our set is too short and our singer isn't very good.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Whellll.... I cleaned the shiitake out of my house today, and did some handyman-ish things, and some organizing things... for the list of things I have done, I'm shocked at how slow the day has gone by. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My grandma just emailed me (I'm staying with her when I go upstate) and asked what I want her to get in food-wise, and I realised I have no idea what to tell her. I haven't been in a US grocery store in over 4 years, and I don't know what cooking facilities she has (as far as pots/pans - I doubt she has a different kitchen since I was last there 7 years ago). (Also, OMG I haven't seen my grandma in 7 years!) What do I do?! I can't tell a wee 79-year-old lady to buy me tofu or soba noodles. It would be so much easier if I could do my own shopping. Maybe I'll ask my aunt to take me grocery shopping.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, 1132 ... 1858  Next