| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
The rye muffins are great with that soup.

I wanted to make them, but I was already buying a few special ingredients for the week and didn't want to splurge on rye flour. I did buy rye bread to have with. Sometime though!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm dying with jealousy that you guys already have this book!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got it. It's a beautiful cookbook, but so much of it is focused on Indian and Thai food. Much as I love those cuisines, I was hoping for more recipes for cuisines from countries not often represented in vegan cookbooks, such as Tibetan, Nepalese, Afghan, and French food, as well as more food from Central and Southern Africa, South America, etc. There is some of that in this cookbook, and I appreciate that, but it seems heavily weighted toward more familiar cuisines.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm definitely interested in this book but am specifically interested in German recipes. Is there a decent amount? Amazon is not allowing me to look inside, punk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

There's not much in the way of German food. As LFL mentioned, the book is heavily weighted towards Asian food and specifically Thai, German, Japanese and Chinese. There are some European recipes, but I think that's the area where the book has the fewest recipes. You might consider World Vegan Feast because it has more European recipes, but I don't think that book has a ton of German recipes either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

You could try the 30 Minute Vegan's Taste of Europe. I just ordered this and haven't cooked anything out of it yet, but it has a chapter on Germany, including:

Beer Soup
Toasted Hazelnut Vinaigrette
Beer-Braised Greens
Brussel Sprouts and Red Cabbage
Roasted White Asparagus with Nutmeg Cream Sauce
German Potato Salad
Spaetzle Noodles
Baked Vegan Schnitzel
Notwurst (vegan bratwurst)
Tempeh Sauerbraten
Stuffed Apples (Bratapfeln)
Bread Pudding w/ Chocolate Sauce
Apple Strudel
Black Forest Parfait
Six-Herb Botanical Juice
Quicker and Easier - Cabbage Salad w/ Pink Pepper
Quicker and Easier - Rote Grütze Red Berry Pudding

There's also a chapter of "fusion" recipes, including some Eastern European dishes whose countries don't rate a whole chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

bcakes wrote:
There's not much in the way of German food. As LFL mentioned, the book is heavily weighted towards Asian food and specifically Thai, German, Japanese and Chinese.

I think you mean Thai, Indian, Japanese and Chinese.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

this is one gorgeous looking book. I keep looking at it at work. I WANT MY COPY.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the carnitas! The flavor was really great, but it was a little sweet for my tastes. It does say pineapple juice OR water, so I'd probably use half and half next time. The cashew yogurt was easy and tasty too, and seems like it would be really versatile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:42 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

It just arrived! It's so beautiful & there's a Pad See Ew recipe in there, <3!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
bcakes wrote:
There's not much in the way of German food. As LFL mentioned, the book is heavily weighted towards Asian food and specifically Thai, German, Japanese and Chinese.

I think you mean Thai, Indian, Japanese and Chinese.

Indeed. Germany is definitely not in Asia.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jojo wrote:
It just arrived! It's so beautiful & there's a Pad See Ew recipe in there, <3!

It's a good one, too!

I don't know, during testing for this I was really impressed with how many recipes there were that weren't Asian. Maybe it's just because I own a lot of other world food cookbooks and they have next to no European recipes (I think one of them has an Italian chapter, and that's about it). Unless a lot of stuff was cut and I haven't realised yet (my copy is still on its way!), this one is definitely much more balanced than others in the genre. And I'm saying this as a half-German! Albeit a shameful one that cooks infinitely more curries than spaetzle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:29 pm 
Crazy bat lady

For those of you who have skeptical eaters in the house, start with the Greek lasagna recipe (it's called something like Greek Eggplant Pastichi Vegani). The recipe as written doesn't have any lasagna (there is an eggplant variation). IT IS CRAZY DELICIOUS and makes yummy leftovers that reheat well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelvia wrote:
For those of you who have skeptical eaters in the house, start with the Greek lasagna recipe (it's called something like Greek Eggplant Pastichi Vegani). The recipe as written doesn't have any lasagna (there is an eggplant variation). IT IS CRAZY DELICIOUS and makes yummy leftovers that reheat well.

This is good news because I have it on the schedule for tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

Kelvia wrote:

ZOMG, this sounds so good! I feel like I made a pastistio dish as an omni and it was super yum. I'd love a vegan version of a sort of deluxe and really flavorful pasta melange like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I get that.
I am still hoping someone in my "Must Buy Circle" does do a european based vegan cookbook. I kind of hoped that for this book, but i can forgive it because it's beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:41 am 
Tofu Pup

LFL wrote:
I got it. It's a beautiful cookbook, but so much of it is focused on Indian and Thai food. Much as I love those cuisines, I was hoping for more recipes for cuisines from countries not often represented in vegan cookbooks, such as Tibetan, Nepalese, Afghan, and French food, as well as more food from Central and Southern Africa, South America, etc. There is some of that in this cookbook, and I appreciate that, but it seems heavily weighted toward more familiar cuisines.

if you want mex, central and south american recipes, get Terrys "Viva Vegan" its nothing but latin recipes and its terrific!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 am 
Tofu Pup

so far in this cookbook I've made the drunken noodles, momo with the tomato sesame sambal, the cabbage slaw that goes with the momos and the sauerkraut soup everything was great. all wonderfully seasoned. and the advice on procuring the mystery sauces for the drunken noodles was very helpful. my omni husband says that he would be pleased to sample any food prepared from these recipes that I make. High praise indeed from him!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made all (I think?) the Ethiopian recipes last night, and everything was pretty authentic-tasting for my first time cooking Ethiopian food. The teff flour crepes don't have the exact texture of injera, but they're pretty close. Everything took me like 4 hours, because it's difficult to multitask on my small stove. It was worth it though! (Photo: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2659_n.jpg)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I got a little discouraged reading through this book because it seems like half the time I would see a recipe that sounded good, it required an ingredient that would require hunting around online for. Not that this is always a deal breaker, but I'm not very likely to plan far enough in advance to order the ingredient and then actually remember to make the recipe once it's delivered. I know this is part of keeping things authentic, but it still kinda bums me out.

I'm planning on making the black bean soup with the pickled onions this week, though. I can't remember if that recipe calls for epazote or not, but if it does, I'll just leave it out. I live right on the Mexican border and can't find that shiitake in regular grocery stores here that have large Latin American sections. There's a large Mexican grocery store nearby I could try, so maybe I'll find it there. I hate going there because it's always crazy busy, though, and their meat section is huge and scary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:48 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just got this and am dying to make the Ethiopian dishes! Creep, that looks amazing!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm still waiting for my book! Gah! I made the mushroom sauerkraut soup last night, though, that Isa posted to the PPK blog. It was awesome. A little too much kraut to broth ratio (made it hard to eat with a spoon), but still tasted great with some extra broth. I subbed parsnips for turnips and potatoes. Really yummy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

iamnotapottedplant wrote:
I just got this and am dying to make the Ethiopian dishes! Creep, that looks amazing!!!

It really was. All those dishes fed four people, and my husband and I still had enough left for dinner the next night. I just made more crepes for us. I'm sad it's gone. =(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really thought I would have it in the post today so I could spend all day reading it. Looks like I've another day to wait.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 am 
So Totally Yiffy

OH HEY just noticed that my Germany question got answered by several people. Thanks everybody. I still may buy this book, I love all foods from Asia. Specifically Germany-Asia. We covered that up there, right? Germany's in Asia?

Just checking. ;)

THANKS AGAIN!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next