| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan shoe dilemma. I want to be a good vegan!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kilgore trout wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
joshua wrote:
as for your dilemma, if it were me I wouldn't buy the leather shoes. I guess I'd struggle through until eventually found something satisfactory. hopefully that day comes soon.

me too. I dunno, I just can't imagine buying leather no matter what, it's not something I'd be comfortable with. I hope you find a solution soon.

This is my feeling, but also, I have no back or foot problems. My brother and mom both suffer from chronic back pain and if I lived with what they live with, my answer would probably be a lot different. Do the best you can. Your health is important.

Yeah, it's key to remember there's a difference between reluctantly using something nonvegan because someone's health is at stake, and finding a reason to use it because it's convenient. The majority of shoes that are made specifically to fit orthopedic needs are constructed from leather--and even though other materials could be used, that's not really the case now. Arch problems cause pain everywhere else in the body--and not being able to get out of bed for hours because one is in too much back pain or has a migraine (yup--even that can be a trigger) is something that needs to be treated medically. If one the only thing that works is wearing shoes that aren't vegan, then I don't think that's any different than treating other chronic conditions with non-vegan pharmaceuticals. It's not ideal, it's not happy, but neither is living with the chronic pain in the first place.

I think it's really important to remember that the pain isn't a choice. Good on you for trying to use vegan options--and nothing wrong with continuing to look for vegan options even if you can't use them in the present. You're still choosing the best possible option from your own lot.

I've made it five years without wearing leather shoes, but I can now no longer wear non-breathable shoes without some really painful eczema flaring up...that's no issue now, but I'm dreading winter. I can't wear acrylic socks anymore, either. I live in Chicago and wearing canvas shoes with cotton socks isn't my idea of fun. I'm going to give my usual boots a try, but if it doesn't work, what do I do? Stay indoors the whole time? I would hope to find a used pair of leather shoes, if necessary, but the point is there *are* situations in which you can't. If it's breaking your heart a little, that's probably an indicator you're doing everything in your power.

That all said, I second the suggestion for prescription orthotics, if they're not cost-prohibitive. Go to a good orthopedist and if you can find any way to spare the cash, they'll end up paying for themselves. Then, even if you can only find leather shoes in your width, you can still buy them used because you won't have to worry about arch support. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Vantine wrote:
Given that spending $600 on shoes if you don't have that sort of expendable income is not wise and that you could end up with serious issues if you wear inappropriate shoes, I would buy shoes that were comfortable and allowed you to get around during the day without suffering. Shoes are not entirely a fashion statement.

If you end up at the podiatrist because you have smashed your feet into the wrong shoes, you are doing no creature on Earth a favor. There are many factors that play into our purchasing decisions and vegan is only one.

Suffering instead of wearing shoes that are comfortable when you have issues with your feet is something that pushes veganism from a moral position into a religion. You are not trying to achieve some sort of spiritual purity; you are trying to be as ethical as you reasonably can given your limitations and needs. Buy the shoes you need to get through your day so that you can function well enough to help make the world a better place regardless of what's on your feet. Keep searching and maybe you can buy vegan shoes that work for you.

For those who are turning veganism into a functional form of religion, it might be wise to look at Judaism in which there are 613 laws. There is a recognition that no one can keep all of them because some require the Temple. Everyone is flawed and imperfect. You focus on the laws you can keep.

I love you for this <3

This is an issue for me, I get very sore bones in my feet and am finding it very difficult to get vegan shoes that don't hurt my feet, particularly anything for wearing on an evening out. I've done without leather for 8 years now but don't know how many more pairs of shoes I can buy that will end up in the charity shop because they're cutting the feet off me. I hate the thought of buying leather though, buh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks everyone! Re: insoles, they raise my foot inside the shoes a little, but that's enough to make my toes rub too much against the top inside of the shoe which hurts :(

I admit I do feel like I have to have zero animal products on me when I go to vegan things. I've seen vegans attack others who have worn leather boots, wool, etc. I don't want to be on the receiving end of that, particularly from people I have never met before. So far if there's a vegan do on, the only shoes I have are vegan-ethical sneakers which look like Converse. Not exactly suitable for a dressier occassion!

I think I'll just have to work out which occassions require a lot of standing or sitting and plan accordingly!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
Thanks everyone! Re: insoles, they raise my foot inside the shoes a little, but that's enough to make my toes rub too much against the top inside of the shoe which hurts :(

I admit I do feel like I have to have zero animal products on me when I go to vegan things. I've seen vegans attack others who have worn leather boots, wool, etc. I don't want to be on the receiving end of that, particularly from people I have never met before. So far if there's a vegan do on, the only shoes I have are vegan-ethical sneakers which look like Converse. Not exactly suitable for a dressier occassion!

I think I'll just have to work out which occassions require a lot of standing or sitting and plan accordingly!

Any vegan who attacks another person for what they are wearing is a crasshole and lacks basic manners. They might also want to look up the word "compassion" in a dictionary. If they are attacking a stranger, it's almost worse.

These people are not worth your time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
Re: insoles, they raise my foot inside the shoes a little, but that's enough to make my toes rub too much against the top inside of the shoe which hurts :( !

Are you referring to prescription insoles made my an orthopedist? Or, are these insoles you've purchased ready-made? I ask this in this in the context of finding the most comfort for your feet (and back)--whether or not you're wearing nonvegan shoes. I might be telling you something you already know, but there's a huge difference between prescription orthotics and even high-quality insoles sold in specialty stores.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Vantine wrote:
Any vegan who attacks another person for what they are wearing is a crasshole and lacks basic manners. They might also want to look up the word "compassion" in a dictionary. If they are attacking a stranger, it's almost worse.

Yes, QFT. We stopped hanging out with people who were vegan policing a long time ago and now have awesome vegan friends. Fucktha Vegan Police :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

annak wrote:
My advice would be that if you can only find shoes that work for your feet in leather, buy the best quality leather ones you can afford and do what you can to keep them in really good shape, getting to know your local shoe repair place if need be.

This is my approach. I take care of my shoes, cleaning and weatherproofing and such. I get them resoled or repaired when needed, I found a great cobbler. I buy expensive, high quality shoes, but I don't buy very many of them and they last me a long time even with the tons of walking I do!

I was lucky and found vegan motorcycle boots... I am not usually that lucky with shoes and so most of mine are leather and old but still look and feel good on my feet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Have you tried Earth shoes? They're pretty wide. No idea if they'll work with your particular problems but they helped me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

thanks again super peeps. I'll check out all the stuffz mentioned here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My learnings from being vegan, wide footed, and bunioned:

For warm weather or dressy shoes:
Soft Style from Hush Puppies is a mostly synthetic line, and widths can range from extra narrow to extra wide. I keep buying this brand of shoe now that I've figured out what size to order from them. Mostly they are reasonably comfy, but not super duper luxurious: http://www.zappos.com/brand/2498/Soft%20Style

For winter boots:
Toe Warmers! They aren't all vegan, but this brand has a good collection of synthetic options. Widths vary from narrow to extra wide. I bought a pair last winter, and they are still in good shape now that I've pulled them out of my closet when it got colder and rainier: http://www.toewarmers.com/shoeshop/home.php?cat=428

For gym shoes: Brooks! Problem mostly solved! (Mostly solved because I think eventually I will just need to have bunion surgery and until then, my feet are just going to hurt at the gym...) http://www.brooksrunning.com/

PPK NOW THAT I'VE TOLD YOU ABOUT THESE SHOE BRANDS, PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT ANY MORE BRANDS WITH WIDE SIZES THAT YOU MIGHT KNOW OF? I would looooooove to find *really* comfy yet weather-resistant everyday shoes that aren't sneakers, but I have not found this yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Also: Trotters brand has a good selection of synthetic nice shoes with a good range of widths.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Tofulish wrote:
Vantine wrote:

Yes, QFT. We stopped hanging out with people who were vegan policing a long time ago and now have awesome vegan friends. Fucktha Vegan Police :)

Seriously, anyone who would say something rude to you about your choice of shoe material is probably not someone who's opinion you should give a shiitake about.

I just bought a pair of Blowfish Kickback boots & they're seriously the comfiest boots ever. I wore them to a gig last night & my feel weren't even remotely sore!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I cant really help because I can just buy off the internetz, my feet are that average. But I would say that if all else fails (and before you hurt yourself), listen to Vantine and get a pair of excellent leather shoes, then at least they will be worn a long time.