| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Gentle Chef
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello!

Right off the bat, please let me thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions about which cookbooks to buy. Many of the cookbooks are outstanding and I have no regrets in purchasing them.

Having said that, please let me share my excitement about a new cookbook called "The Gentle Chef" that just came on the market last month. What I like about this book is that it has a very nice collection of various seitan recipes, including seitan mignon and reuben.

Check out the link:

http://thegentlechef.com/

Please let me know what you think of this fabulous cookbook.

Wayne

Post subject: Re: The Gentle Chef
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've been following The Gentle Chef on FB. Then, I bought five of his CD's---one for myself and four for gifts. When his book was published, I was one of the first purchasers. I'll be purchasing more for gifts. I love Michael's recipes. As long as you follow the recipes precisely, they ALWAYS work and they are delicious!!!!!! His seitan recipes are simply the best seitan recipes I've ever found. I can't believe how many seitan, I made and threw away because I could not eat them. The first one I made of Michael's was perfect and every one since then has been perfect. Buy this book!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

A friend of mine is a huge fan and is always recommending The Gentle Chef. I haven't muddled about with making seitan or anything yet, but I am looking forward it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

I also bought the cook book in CD and book form. I LOVE IT! It is, by far, the best cookbook, Vegan or not, that I have purchased. I purchased several of the CDs (which I am not sure are for sale any longer, since the cook book came out) for my friends and family. If everyone could cook and make the recipes in this book, I guarantee it could turn the most die-hard meat eater, Vegan. What is most amazing is the Seitan recipes. I believe this author and chef has the key to Seitan. Most of the recipes I've found online or in a cookbook in the past were so complicated; then when I tried them, they came out HORRIBLE with a funky texture. These recipes are simple with very good instructions and I am telling you....DELICIOUS!! Such a bargain, too, for such a beautiful book. You won't be sorry if you get one. It will make lovely gifts for the holiday, as well. The Vegan cheeses are like none I have ever had before. I am NOT a Vegan cheese lover, however, these nut cheese recipes changed my mind. OH YUM! You will FLIP over the Vegan butter and mayo recipes! WOW. And the coconut cream pie.................no words! :) Ok...I'd better stop now....I'M HUNGRY! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:32 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Mod post:

Okay, I saw the post on facebook from the author asking if anyone who was ALREADY a member here wanted to post some positive notes about the book so i'm not blaming the source, but we have rules on this board:

"10 - Active members are welcome to post about vegan products or services they offer in the appropriate forum, but not if you're dropping by solely to advertise and not otherwise contribute to the conversation."

Signing up just to talk up one book is spammy, and this thread did get reported. I'm sure the author didn't want people to sign up and spam on his behalf.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

I don't want to be a spammer but it is a good cookbook. I hope people check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:32 pm 

If you don't mean to be spammy, please don't read what I just said and then break the rule anyway. Ignoring a moderator is just going to get this thread closed/posts removed and that is really extreme and not something I really want to do. Or else I would've done it already.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

WOW...why would any of these posts be considered SPAM??? This was an honest opinion about a very wonderful cook book. The only thing I can think of is someone is just plainly being very hateful. What the heck? And the person that posted, you are putting down "SPAM" while posting very offensive language? I don't think so. Anyway, I was so happy to have found this site because I am always on the look out for good Vegan resources and chat. However, it is very clear that human beings pretty much suck...evens some Vegans. Anyway.....THIS IS NOT SPAM, as I am not posting this to EVERYONE by copy/paste to many, etc. I don't even know how it could be considered SPAM. Someone asked for peoples' opinions and they were given. End of story. Now I will be leaving this site, as it is obviously run by people with big egos and not to help the animals. VERY sad and pathetic.

Last edited by NeoKennyJack on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello MrsBadMouth,

Please know that it is never my intention to drop in and and talk up Chef Skye's book. It is just that there are many excellent cookbooks out there. I feel that The Gentle Chef, as another vegan cookbook, is worthy of our attention. For what it is worth, it took a lot of courage on my part to become a member of this wonderful forum. I, as a lurker, have bought numerous cookbooks based on your recommendations. It is fair that I turned the table around and let you all know about another vegan cookbook that just became available. I trust that many of you will enjoy perusing The Gentle Chef.

Please do what you have to do with this thread if I actually broke the rule. Sorry about it!

Wayne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:44 pm 

Okay, i'm going to say this publicly and not in a PM so everyone can see it:

The original post was not the problem, and like I said, the author himself did not ask anyone to sign up just to post about his book. GleanVeg and the author are fine. Me posting the rule and explaining it wasn't an attack - it's me doing my job. Members of this board, who post regularly, reported these posts as spam. Also, it doesn't matter if you post two times or twenty, if you sign up JUST to post about a product or website, that is spam. Think of these boards like a party at someone's house. If a stranger walked into that house to pass out flyers, that would be kind of rude, right? Someone would probably be like, "Hey, don't do that." And if the person is like, "Okay, sorry." everyone can go back to the party. Too bad that didn't happen!

Calling me/us hateful, pathetic, and big-ego-having is really not doing anyone any favors. I'm sure the author is none too thrilled that a thread about his book is full of bullshiitake instead of book discussion. He didn't ask you to sign up, he just asked if anyone was registered. I also don't think he prompted you to call me hateful or say that this is "sabotage". This forum is full of cookbook threads and we have many cookbook authors as members and we all get along famously (which you would know if you had bothered to look around at all). Maybe you should apologize to him for being incredibly rude to a group of total strangers on his behalf.

Also, people do not 'get in trouble' for posting their opinions or about other cookbooks. GleanVeg says he lurks here and judging by his adult response, i'd say he knows how things work here pretty well. I honestly can't even remember the last time I had to remind someone of one of our rules, but i've had to moderate people who i'm friends with on facebook/twitter, and we're adults so we're able to separate me enforcing rules and keeping the peace with how we actually feel about each other as people. I have told people to not call someone a crasshole and then gone into another thread and discussed how ridiculous Sam Winchester's hair is with the same person, two minutes later. That's how forums generally work.

Also, try to think of it in reverse. If I signed up for the author's facebook group with no interest in him or anything he has to say and posted about how great Isa Chandra Moskowitz's books are, and then a bunch of my friends did the same, wouldn't that be a dick move? But if I was already a member and was like, "Hey, in addition to The Gentle Chef, I also like Veganomicon, Blissful Bites, Vegan Artisan Cheese, and Papa Tofu." There is a difference.

If you would like to continue to be nasty, the PM button is under my name. My actions, bisque-y or not, are mine and the entire forum didn't post a rule or ask people not to break it right after reading it. My words are my own and the entire website doesn't need to be avoided by the plague because you don't like what I said.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

what a pity that a i was drawn to this thread because i liked the title, only to read what sounded like spam by a whole bunch of peeps with only 2 posts to their name, which turned into a fight. i'd love to hear what some regular ppkers thought about it....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
what a pity that a i was drawn to this thread because i liked the title, only to read what sounded like spam by a whole bunch of peeps with only 2 posts to their name, which turned into a fight. i'd love to hear what some regular ppkers thought about it....

Yes, it's a shame because the recipes sound good, especially the holiday seitan roasts.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 am 
Tofu Pup

I DID look through this website....and I DID like what I see. Your website was "advertised" in another forum and I had never heard of it. What gives you the right to judge my motives? This wasn't SPAM. It was an honest opinion, what I was asked to post and did so, very happily, because everything I said came from my heart and was true. You didn't even give me a CHANCE to post anything else on any other thread. You just ASSUMED I came here to "advertise". THAT, my friend, is rude. So I need to apologize TO YOU for you ripping me a new one about something I didn't even do? Well..ok....I see. And now I am called immature and a spammer. Great. Yeah....this is SO fair. I'm glad we are working together to help the animals. Thanks for making it so easy. Now I can't even find out how to delete myself and my hubby from this whole forum. Funny...this is a first time I have ever been treated like this...so I'm pretty sure I'm not the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 am 

Quote:
I was asked to post

Yes, I saw that.

Quote:
You just ASSUMED I came here to "advertise".

I did, because....I saw that.

Quote:
So I need to apologize TO YOU

No, I said you should maybe apologize to the person who you're speaking on behalf of because you're trolling a forum you don't belong to, in a thread about their book.

Quote:
I'm glad we are working together to help the animals.

Me too!

Quote:
Funny...this is a first time I have ever been treated like this

It's pretty obvious this is the first time you've been on a message board.

ANYWAY, the poster of this thread and the author both PMed me about this, and were both awesome so i'm going to lock this thread and if any current members wish to discuss the book in a new, drama-free thread, please feel free.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]