| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ah, nevermind, I don't have any earth balance. Maybe I'll make that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

starrynight87 wrote:
Has anyone tried cooking with the sharp cheddar? I may try a mac and cheese tonight.

I haven't made the sharp cheddar, but I stirred in a big spoonful of soft Gruyere when fixing the sauce for mac & cheese today. It was really good!

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

The gruyere is in the fettucine alfredo and it was *awesome*.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm new here and I just bought this book. I made the rejuvelac from quinoa and brown rice, it smells HORRIBLE. Anyone else had this experience? I'm wondering if I'm just sensitive to the funky smell and that's how it should be.

Thanks!
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

wattski,

Did you mix the quinoa and brown rice in the same batch of rejuvelac? Did both the quinoa and brown rice germinate (grow tails)? Quinoa usually sprouts in about one day while brown rice can take 4 or 5 days to sprout. If you're going to mix grains, it's better to use grains that will germinate at the same rate. It might be better to start out with a single grain. Quinoa alone is probably the quickest and easiest grain to use, just make sure the quinoa is not presprouted.

Rejuvelac should smell and taste "lemony". Now some also describe the smell as "dirty socks". It should not smell or taste spoiled. If you're in doubt, toss the rejuvelac and start over.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The air-dried sharp cheddar is my new favorite. Holy yum!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:47 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Darn it, I just got the book and can't make any of the cheeses I want to make because they all require yoghurt that I cannot get, and haven't had success in making it thick enough to be able to drain it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got the book in the mail today! I'm looking forward to trying more recipes, especially the yogurt based ones. I love cashews but they are not very budget friendly. I don't have carrageenan, so for now I'll stick with cheeses that can be made with agar. Oh and the soft Gruyere I made a few days ago just gets better and better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:06 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made the sharp cheddar and an as-yet-undecided batch of just cashew cheese.

The sharp cheddar... isn't good. It tastes of hairspray...

But the cashew cheese is delightful and I'll probably eat it all before I get around to actually using it for anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made the American Oat Cheese, it just tastes like nutritional yeast, hoping that may mellow out and the flavours mix a little more as it sits in the fridge... Want to try the cheddar, but may go with the quick smoked provolone first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Gulliver wrote:

But the cashew cheese is delightful and I'll probably eat it all before I get around to actually using it for anything.

that's weird Gulliver. i LOVE the sharp cheddar (just had some last night) and there's no taste of hairspray or anything even remotely hinting of hairspray.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm guessing it just went nasty through exposure to something. It was okayish until I cooked it and combined it with the thickeners, but then a day later it was really nasty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:50 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i could totally taste the carrageenan when I made it and i found it pretty unappealing. I'm really sensitive to tastes and smells though. I always smell/taste things that are slightly off or weird when other people can't. It's just a lot of thickener in there when most ther recipes that call for agar or carrageenan might call for a teaspoon. I am planning on trying again someday and using much less thickener. I don't really care about texture if it will taste better. I wasn't a huge fan of the sharp cheddar either though, but also, i tend to not like large amounts of nutritional yeast. sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lululuv wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

that's weird Gulliver. i LOVE the sharp cheddar (just had some last night) and there's no taste of hairspray or anything even remotely hinting of hairspray.

ha! I didnt taste hairspray in my cheddar either, but for some reason, I did not love it. I wanted to, but could not. I did use it to make cheese sauce though. When mixed with other ingredients and some Rotel, it makes a nice cheese sauce. Can't say that I will make it again. I love the cream cheese, brie and gruyere though!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Is the mixture for air dried cheddar supposed to be kind of liquid-y until it's cooked & thickened? I'm sure that I measured everything correctly. I did the first step this morning and will let the mixture culture until Saturday evening. I haven't gotten around to making yogurt, so I used Wildwood unsweetened soygurt.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:10 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hey anyone know if I can replace the rejuvelac in the smoked provolone for plain water? I have the yogurt but no rejuvelac and wanted to make this tonight....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bunniee wrote:
Is the mixture for air dried cheddar supposed to be kind of liquid-y until it's cooked & thickened? I'm sure that I measured everything correctly. I did the first step this morning and will let the mixture culture until Saturday evening. I haven't gotten around to making yogurt, so I used Wildwood unsweetened soygurt.

Update: the cheese firmed up just fine after cooking. The mixture was really really hard to stir, and I wasn't sure if I cooked it long enough. I let the block of cheese chill in the refrigerator for about 6 hours, before taking it out to salt and place on a rack for air drying.

I also made a batch of the oat american cheese. I'm not sure I got the cheese thick enough to slice, but I can always use it as a tasty spread if it doesn't firm up overnight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My book should arrive later this month and I want to make sure I have all the supplies I need to get started!

This is on my shopping list - am I missing anything?
- vegan yogurt
- carrageenan (kappa)
- agar powder
- nooch
- soymilk
- cashews

The place where I get my cashews is a Turkish market. I'm not sure if the cashews are raw, but they don't taste roasted or salted. I use them in all the recipes that call for soaked, raw cashews (like ricotta and vegan mac and cheese), so I'm hoping it is fine in the recipes here. They are definitely cheaper than the organic, raw ones at the health food store. I'd rather avoid those!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Don't forget some quinoa for your rejuvelac!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PoesiePie wrote:
Don't forget some quinoa for your rejuvelac!

Got it! I still have some in the pantry.

My only "concern" is the cashews. I can't really tell if they're raw or not. They look raw and don't "taste" roasted, so I'm assuming they are. Is it really bad if the cashews aren't raw? Anyone tried the cheeses with cashews like this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Any unroasted unsalted cashews are fine. Don't waste your money on cashews that are 'truly raw'. Normal unroasted cashews are more than expensive enough. Do you have miso yet?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

pickledtreats wrote:
My book should arrive later this month and I want to make sure I have all the supplies I need to get started!

This is on my shopping list - am I missing anything?
- vegan yogurt
- carrageenan (kappa)
- agar powder
- nooch
- soymilk
- cashews

The place where I get my cashews is a Turkish market. I'm not sure if the cashews are raw, but they don't taste roasted or salted. I use them in all the recipes that call for soaked, raw cashews (like ricotta and vegan mac and cheese), so I'm hoping it is fine in the recipes here. They are definitely cheaper than the organic, raw ones at the health food store. I'd rather avoid those!

Some of the recipes call for miso. Also, you might want to practice making rejuvelac before the book arrives, so you will be one step ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I haven't read through this entire thread yet..but can someone tell me where I might find non dairy yogurt that doesn't contain added sugar? I don't seem to be having any luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use wholesoy which can be found at whole foods, health food stores, grocery outlet sometimes and other places.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cornelie wrote:
Any unroasted unsalted cashews are fine. Don't waste your money on cashews that are 'truly raw'. Normal unroasted cashews are more than expensive enough. Do you have miso yet?

I have some miso from the Amazing Oriental, but not sure if it's the right one. Do I need a mellow, white miso? What kind do you use?

Good to know about the cashews! These are expensive enough. 5 bucks for a small bag. I usually stock up and toss them in the freezer. I cherish them!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 62  Next