| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Encino Man. Love this! Granted, I love anything with Pauly Shore.
Beavis and Butt-head Do America. Meh. I actually like King of the Hill better. For some reason KotH is a million times funnier now than it was when the show was still on the air. I think I outgrew Beavis & Butt-head. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Castaway on the Moon
Farewell My Concubine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Pyewacket wrote:
Farewell My Concubine

SADDEST MOVIE EVER.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anonymous - It was so, so awful. And there were so many good actors in it! I just can't believe so many awesome people actively participated in the making of this piece of shiitake.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 pm 
Hip Goiter

Cloud Atlas.
Holy crepe. It was 3 hours of ridiculous nonsense. Like...what the fizzle.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

acr wrote:
Pyewacket wrote:
Farewell My Concubine

SADDEST MOVIE EVER.

Yes, quite sad and beautiful.

I saw The Borrowers the other day. So adorable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Cloud Atlas.
Holy crepe. It was 3 hours of ridiculous nonsense. Like...what the fizzle.

I assume you mean bad ridiculous nonsense, so I'll stay away. I quite liked the book, so I don't want to ruin it a la The Time Traveler's Wife.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I watched The Dictator with Sacha Baron Cohen recently. I thought it had some funny moments, plus they make fun of vegans!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yeah I was disappointed rachel. It was so unsatisfying, pretending to be all grandiose and building toward some huge emotional payoff, and then it just leaves you high and dry. It's like the same anti-(often corporate)-machine message as The Matrix, but without the plot (lots of little plots though, some of which would have made nice movies on their own). Great to look at though.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:55 pm 
Hip Goiter

I saw 'Lincoln'. It's worth seeing just to stare at Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln. What an incredible performance. The movie was pretty good, kind of slow and almost tedious but not in a negative way.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

Today I saw Anna Karenina and Life of Pi.
AK is my favorite book, and I was supremely disappointed. Why:
Spoiler: show
If you're not going to take the time and effort to do a proper adaptation, then at least make a re-imagining interesting! I thought it was going to be crazy and beautiful with the move inside a theatre, but they only moved a few scenes to the theatre. The re-imagining was less than half-assed, it was quarter-assed. Baz Luhrman should have done it and it would have been weird and amazing. Or at least something! Above all though, the story does not work unless Vronsky is a man that MAYBE SOMEONE EVER would want to be with, let alone would ruin her entire life for. He was horrendously miscast, maybe the worst casting job in years. Like a 16-year-old surfer. Matthew McFadyen was the only good part, as Oblonsky. He gained a lot of weight for it and was just really comical and likable. He could have been a good Vronsky. Jude Law looked the part too as Karenin but he also could have been a better Vronsky! Soooo disappointing. Keira I always liked, but I realized in this that she is the same in every single movie. Same mannerisms, same breathiness, same everything. Sigh.

Life of Pi was fantastic. I cried a lot. However, it should have a warning for animal lovers. I hope to god that no real animals were used in it. It was depressing but really well done and worth seeing. I think the rule of thumb should be, if you got through War Horse, you'll prob be ok.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

I saw 'Intouchables' today, finally. GO SEE IT. It was freaking amazing. IT's definitely one of my favorite movies of the year, if not a longer period of time.

I also saw 'Skyfall', which was disappointing (more like a Bourne movie than a Bond movie), and 'Wreck-It Ralph', which was pleasantly surprising, two weeks ago; I don't think I logged them here. On that note, come on people! See movies and let us know, otherwise this is becoming my personal thread!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

RandiJM wrote:
Today I saw Anna Karenina and Life of Pi.
AK is my favorite book, and I was supremely disappointed. Why:
Spoiler: show
If you're not going to take the time and effort to do a proper adaptation, then at least make a re-imagining interesting! I thought it was going to be crazy and beautiful with the move inside a theatre, but they only moved a few scenes to the theatre. The re-imagining was less than half-assed, it was quarter-assed. Baz Luhrman should have done it and it would have been weird and amazing. Or at least something! Above all though, the story does not work unless Vronsky is a man that MAYBE SOMEONE EVER would want to be with, let alone would ruin her entire life for. He was horrendously miscast, maybe the worst casting job in years. Like a 16-year-old surfer. Matthew McFadyen was the only good part, as Oblonsky. He gained a lot of weight for it and was just really comical and likable. He could have been a good Vronsky. Jude Law looked the part too as Karenin but he also could have been a better Vronsky! Soooo disappointing. Keira I always liked, but I realized in this that she is the same in every single movie. Same mannerisms, same breathiness, same everything. Sigh.

This makes me sad. I've really been looking forward to AK since it's one of my favorite books and was hoping to be blown away by how they adapted it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We saw Skyfall yesterday. It was better than Quantum of Solace. I dunno, it was alright. But it was basically a prequel

Did anyone see the article that mentioned Idris Elba is being considered as the next Bond? I like the idea, but that's probably because I'm not terribly attached to the franchise (I haven't seen any prior to Pierce Brosnan). But I have a feeling that, if the UK isn't ready for a black Doctor, they're definitely not ready for a black Bond (in that a black Doctor makes more sense, what with the regeneration and all).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Finally saw Steel Magnolias. I thought it would be sadder and more people would die!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

RandiJM wrote:
and 'Wreck-It Ralph', which was pleasantly surprising, two weeks ago; I don't think I logged them here. On that note, come on people! See movies and let us know, otherwise this is becoming my personal thread!

we took our niece (7) and nephew (4) to see Wreck-It Ralph yesterday afternoon. i too was pleasantly surprised - the kids loved it and we did as well (i even teared up like three times)!

i think the last movie we saw before Wreck-It Ralph was the newest Resident Evil movie. totally terrible, but we've seen them all and i feel like i have to follow through with them all now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm glad that Wreck it Ralph is getting good reviews :) I wont see it until it comes out on video, probably, but it looks super cute.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Saw Argo, loved it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Hip Goiter

I saw Silver Linings Playbook, with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. It was good, often very funny, but not great. But it was by far the best performance by Bradley Cooper ever.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The Hunger Games. meh, I've read the books and actually liked the movie a bit better than them, Katniss was more likeable in the movie I thought. But I just find both the books and movie a to be underwhelming so there you go.

I know people get tired of comparisons to Battle Royale (book or movie), but I think comparisons are inevitable and BR is much more intriguing to me because it seems so much more realistic, and also seems to portray the psychology of the people involved in a much more interesting way than the Hunger Games.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 am 
ugh

I recently rented Safety Not Guaranteed (with Aubrey Plaza). It was really funny and cute.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Watched Ali: Fear Eats The Soul and On The Air, the post-Twin Peaks Mark Frost/David Lynch TV show that got canned after 7 episodes. The Criterion extras disc for Ali included a great BBC featurette about New German Cinema.

I also saw Halloween for the first time... on Halloween, natch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I watched The Snowtown Murders recently. Well, I should say I *tried* to watch it. I found it very disturbing and it was making me sick to watch it. I watched more than half the move and just had to turn it off. I watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter after it to get that movie out of my head. Though I ended up liking the Lincoln movie more than I though I would. I must say....I had very low expectations for the movie going in. Was a fun movie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Made me question my veganism. Just a bit. Really changed how I view sushi.
Also, Scanners. Meh. Not what I thought it would be. And the main character reminds me of Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

PorshaJo wrote:
I watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter after it to get that movie out of my head. Though I ended up liking the Lincoln movie more than I though I would. I must say....I had very low expectations for the movie going in. Was a fun movie.

Hey, this is good to know because I've been thinking about watching this because it looks so ridiculous, but I was worried it would be bad ridiculous but sounds like it might actually be fun ridiculous.

Reply to topic  [ 1553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 63  Next