| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: just found stray kitten! What to feed?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Hi, I don't post here often, but I need some advice/help.

I've just found a kitten. Its sibling was dead on the road and it's freezing out so I had to take it in.
She's just started letting me pet her and we've been playing with some string, she seems to be in good condition.

I've never owned a cat before and I have no idea what to feed her, all shops are closed because it's late here, so I can't go get cat food. I gave her some water, but she hasn't touched it yet. I have fruit, veggies, pasta, peanuts, oatmeal, stuff like that.

Anyway, I was hoping I could get some help on what to feed her and if anyone has any other tips that'd be great. Thank you!

EDIT: OMG I went outside and found one of its siblings still alive. This one is even smaller :( Poor kitties.

Last edited by bobdylan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: just found stray kitten! What to feed?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

aww! that's so great of you to take her in. she's adorable! could you could go see if a neighbor has a can of tuna or chicken or maybe some cat food? i'm not really sure if there's anything vegan a kitty would eat, but she will probably be ok till the morning as long as you make sure she has some water.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cats pretty much just eat meat. I agree with IJDI, but not just cans--surely someone around must have some sort of meat in their fridge? Also be careful playing with string because if they swallow it it can be fatal. Great job rescuing them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm not sure where you live, but we have a chain of 24 hour supermarkets called Meijer and they sell cat food. Your local 24 hour drug store may also carry (a very small selection) of cat food. You are so very amazing for taking in these kittens! That little gray one looks very cozy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh my gosh, how cute!! And how tremendously kind of you to take them in.

I agree, if you can't find some sort of meat or convenience store that sells cat food, I would just leave them water and go first thing in the morning to get food. Out of curiosity - do you have litter or some place they can go to the bathroom?

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thank you for all the replies. The kittens are currently on my couch sleeping. They seem quite content.
(Seeing this makes getting fleas or something worth it, haa)

I think they'll be okay until morning when I can get them some food. I'm glad they have each other, but I'm worried there's more outside that I didn't see/hear, I'll keep checking.
Once again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:24 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

lobsteriffic wrote:

I agree, if you can't find some sort of meat or convenience store that sells cat food, I would just leave them water and go first thing in the morning to get food. Out of curiosity - do you have litter or some place they can go to the bathroom?

I put a section of newspaper down, which was probably a pretty redundant thing to do haa. I'm so clueless!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have nothing to add other than the fact that you are so awesome for taking these two in and looking for siblings. This makes me so happy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh my gosh, they are so cute!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

Oh my goodness. They are so so cute. You are the best.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

PMG so cute! I know cats like canned pumpkin (plain, not pie filling). Otherwise it's pretty much just meat. You could give them a tablespoon or so of plain pumpkin if you have it otherwise wait. You could also see if any neighbors have chicken baby food, but make sure it's plain and does NOT have onion as both onion and garlic can be toxic to cats.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

bobdylan wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I put a section of newspaper down, which was probably a pretty redundant thing to do haa. I'm so clueless!

If you have a little cardboard box or plastic bin with low sides (low enough that they can easily climb in and out), you can fill it with dirt or sand for a temporary litter box.

I'm glad you found them and were able to rescue them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
Chard Martyr

So so so sweet! Thank you for saving the kitties!

I would go out first thing, as others have mentioned, and just get some flaked tuna from the grocery store. As soon as you have time you can take them to the vet (or a no-kill shelter, if you are unable to keep them). Kitties!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:41 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Quote:
I have nothing to add other than the fact that you are so awesome for taking these two in and looking for siblings. This makes me so happy.

I don't know how anyone could leave them left for dead. It's just awful. The last time I checked outside somebody had moved the dead kitten. The place I live is not a nice area, people here don't give a shiitake about animals.

Quote:
Oh my gosh, they are so cute!!

Quote:
Oh my goodness. They are so so cute. You are the best.

I know, they are adorable. I've given them temporary names of Edie and Andy. I wish I could keep them!

Quote:
So so so sweet! Thank you for saving the kitties!

I would go out first thing, as others have mentioned, and just get some flaked tuna from the grocery store. As soon as you have time you can take them to the vet (or a no-kill shelter, if you are unable to keep them). Kitties!

Thank you, I'm going to get them some tuna in the morning and then call ASH animal sanctuary. I wish I could save all the kitties in the world!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Sweet babies! Thank you for being so awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know this is pretty much a one time deal for you and a little tuna isn't going to kill them but apparently canned salmon is better for kitties as a treat, and cat food is going to be a better solution, obviously. But any calories are better than nothing! You did a great thing bringing them in, and they are soooo sweet.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:01 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I keep coming back to this thread and "awwww"-ing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

Moon wrote:
I know this is pretty much a one time deal for you and a little tuna isn't going to kill them but apparently canned salmon is better for kitties as a treat, and cat food is going to be a better solution, obviously. But any calories are better than nothing! You did a great thing bringing them in, and they are soooo sweet.

Really? Why is tuna bad? My vet recommended human-grade tuna for my cat because of the water content but I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong! She gets that as well as kibble.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh man, the pic of them together is SO SWEET! You have gotten so much good advice here. I just wanted to add (I didn't see this, but maybe someone mentioned it) that if you end up keeping them more long term, or even for a few days while placement gets sorted out, get your hands on some food specifically made for kittens, because it has extra stuff needed for all the growing they do.

I am currently sitting beside a kitten that my friend found in a parking lot covered in fleas and starving 4 months ago. I had no idea I'd be living with a kitten until I was forced to make a split-second decision. And deciding to keep her has been SO AMAZING. Good luck... and post more pics! :)

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

bd- props for taking them in!. And thanks for postingt those adorable pictures and trying to do right by them. You rock!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This thread is doing my heart good.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I know nothing about cats but OMG so cute! You're awesome for taking them in.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Update: Kitties have been feed and are doing great, they've made themselves at home (climbing on my face). I've discovered that I have developed a cat allergy, but it's all good. I rang the no-kill sanctuary, but the woman on the phone told me to ring back later when someone could tell me if they can be taken in.

heard birds outside

Anyway, thanks again, everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 am 
Chard Martyr

holy moly!! the cuteness is killing me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
Moon wrote:

Really? Why is tuna bad? My vet recommended human-grade tuna for my cat because of the water content but I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong! She gets that as well as kibble.

It has something to do with making them vitamin e deficient, and that some cuts of tuna don't have enough taurine in them. Some people bring up the mercury thing but I don't bother my pretty little head with that business so I don't know if salmon is better on that front. Some people also say tuna is "too addictive" for cats but that seems like they're making excuses for every day cat pickiness.

Those new pictures are just OH MY HEAVENS SO DARN CUTE. They are poking holes in my resolve to not adopt cats after my two are gone. What a beautifully bonded pair

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next