| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For those who converted from omni to vegan... a question....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 am 
Tofu Pup

How long has it been and have you stopped craving omni foods? If so how long did it take for food commercials and certain smells to stop the Pavlov's dog response. Did it stop bothering you? The smell of my friend's cooking the other day drove me insane I wanted it so bad, but I've only been Vegan since Sept 1st and I can still mentally taste the food. Thanksgiving is coming and I'm nervous- I know I'll make it through it but I wonder how crazy I'll go- the whole argument ew- it's meat, it's gross doesn't do much against my taste buds and their stubborn little wants. Mentally I know I'm on the right path- now if only my cravings would join me....

Thanks!

I became Vegan for health reasons. I AM 100% for the ethical treatment of animals. But-I won't lie about, or apologize for, why I made this lifestyle change.
Organically, Me

Why did the tofu cross the road?
To prove he wasn't chicken.

Post subject: Re: For those who converted from omni to vegan... a question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 am 
WRETCHED

I went from omni to vegan overnight (really, ate steak the night before). I had been dabbling with a cheesy vegetarianism and meatless meals for a couple months though.

Anyway, I don't know what happened but a click happened in my brain that I didn't want meat. Shortly after, I went on vacation to a remote part of the world and my food options were fairly limited, I didn't eat meat but ate cheese. After that, I didn't want cheese anymore. The only thing that was a challenge the first year was visiting family at Christmas and them eating tamales while I didn't. So I think it was more about family traditions that were hard. I realized that spending time with family was really what was important.

I think most of all, we are all on our own paths. Your tastebuds may take longer to catch up than some, quicker than others. Just be kind to yourself most of all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I went from omni to vegetarian trying vegan recipes to vegan in months. Don't feel bad. You'll want to start trying a lot of new recipes- I'd encourage you to try something you've never had before. Experiment. If there are some vegan options at a restaurant, give them a try. Once you're more comfortable, you could even start veganizing your favorite omni recipes. It's a process!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I also went from omni to vegan overnight. I "celebrated" the goodbye omni by eating so much cheesecake that I was sick of it and never wanted to have it again. After that, no cravings for cheese. I still like the smell of bbq, it just doesn't relate to food anymore.

Also, in the first months I wasn't perfect, slipped some times especially with sweets, and I think the important thing is not beat yourself up. Don't feel guilty if you still have cravings, it's normal. They will go away with time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 am 
WRETCHED

Oh yes, I've made many accidental slips and some not so accidental. I used them as learning experiences because it does take a while to navigate the world that isn't built for veganism.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For the sake of full disclosure I was lacto-ovo veg before vegan, but I'm guessing others will say the same thing, so I'll say that I found the craving for cheese much harder to kick than meat. I would smell meat cooking and think it smelled homey and tasty, but once I would see the meat and think about what it was I wouldn't really want it anymore. So that happened pretty much overnight, but smelling a cheese pizza or something would make me really want to have a bite. Truthfully, even after a few years of veganism, when I smell a cheese lasagne or something in the oven at someone else's house I still think it smells appetizing. I would say that it took several months for me to go from drooling to just saying "oh that smells good", so don't feel bad.

I think the best way to make sure you stay on track with a vegan diet is to eat food that is really delicious. If you're at a Thanksgiving table and the only vegan things to eat are plain salad and bread, you're going to feel sad and want the meat. If you have some amazingly rich and tasty casserole to eat, then you'll miss the meat far less.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:50 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I un-programmed my pavlovian response by reprogramming myself. When I see the commercials or smell the food, I think, "ewwwww.... that's so gross! that looks disgusting! that's revolting! etc" Pretty soon, those responses became very real, literal, visceral responses. I can't watch television or drive past a fast food joint without wanting to hurl.

This is no trick, you're simply telling yourself the truth about those foods for the very first time in your life. When you realize that, you'll be doing it spontaneously.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've only gone from being vegetarian to vegan...and honestly, the smell of a lovely cheesy sauce or the smell of galaxy chocolate still gets me! For me it helps that I get a violent reaction to dairy, I know I *can't* eat it or there will be extreme pain.

That being said, I make and eat a lot of tasty food that I'm actually ok now. Yesterday I made lovely buttery chocolatey mud pies (crushed biscuits mixed with melted butter -I use pure- and cocoa) and they're as good as any chocolate snack...my fiancé agrees!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been vegetarian for around 3 years and vegan for most of that time. I still think certain foods look/smell good until I remember what they're actually made of. For me, it's the preparation that really sounds good, not a big slab of dead animal, so I think in most cases it's probably possible to find a good vegan replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 am 
Tofu Pup

MoniDew wrote:
I un-programmed my pavlovian response by reprogramming myself. When I see the commercials or smell the food, I think, "ewwwww.... that's so gross! that looks disgusting! that's revolting! etc" Pretty soon, those responses became very real, literal, visceral responses. I can't watch television or drive past a fast food joint without wanting to hurl.

This is no trick, you're simply telling yourself the truth about those foods for the very first time in your life. When you realize that, you'll be doing it spontaneously.

Thank you I'm going to try this. I appreciate all of your responses. I went vegetarian overnight and vegan 3 days later after doing more research. I've not really cheated though I've had a few accidents- not knowing egg was in something or whey was milk (duh). It's just killing me that she made that meatloaf like 2 days ago now and I can still feel the craving. Maybe I should try to make one Vegan. I am HUGE into cooking, we've tried new dishes probably 5/7 days each weak since Sept 1st so I'm building quite a recipe base and I LOOOOVE a lot of the food I've made which is why it frustrates me that the one meal my friend cooked still has me all riled up 2 days later!

I'll keep checking for more tips!

I became Vegan for health reasons. I AM 100% for the ethical treatment of animals. But-I won't lie about, or apologize for, why I made this lifestyle change.
Organically, Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I went from omni to vegan overnight as well. It took me a couple weeks to stop craving it and probably a couple months before even the thought of eating meat and cheese grossed me the hell out, let alone the smell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So many good vegan 'meat' loaves, Sullyn! This one is my favorite: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-meatless-loaf.html, but I'm sure lots of other people have suggestions, too. I think something helpful is finding what you really want and trying to get at that. I'm guessing with meatloaf you want a savory, umami, comforting feeling, and that's really about spices (in my opinion).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

ndpittman wrote:
So many good vegan 'meat' loaves, Sullyn! This one is my favorite: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-meatless-loaf.html, but I'm sure lots of other people have suggestions, too. I think something helpful is finding what you really want and trying to get at that. I'm guessing with meatloaf you want a savory, umami, comforting feeling, and that's really about spices (in my opinion).

Hehe actually her meatloaf is a Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf - about as unhealthy as you can get! I don't like the Vegan Bacon's I've tried so far I think it's a mixture of the meat/sauce since I was never really into Bacon anyway. I'm gonna peek at your recipe- anything to end this craving!

Organically, Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I planned to just go vegan for a month and it stuck. I can't really remember how long it took to stop having cravings but I don't think it was that long, I'd say less than 6 months. I think if at first you freak yourself out by reading Eating Animals or watching Earthlings or Meet Your Meat you might lose your positive associations with meat and dairy. Or just go full tilt into trying everything vegan you can find. It's fun to experiment and you don't feel deprived.

Even now many years later I will occasionally get cravings for things, they just get fewer and farther between the longer you don't indulge them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's never been so bad that I've felt I just absolutely had to eat meat. If I can quit smoking cigarettes, I can get through the smell of BBQ. And the issues around eating animals are incredibly important to me. And as such, I make it work. If it wasn't important, I'd probably have failed. And if I absolutely must have something meaty I'll make some Snobby Joes or cheese steaks or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was another overnighter convert. I had made my mind up before that, but I think the last omni meal I ate was a burger at a very famous restaurant and it made me sick. Done!

Stop thinking of meat as "gross" and start thinking of it as a defenseless animal that was violently slaughtered and then made into a crappy food product by companies that don't give a shiitake about you, the animal, or their employees.

Sorry, that may have been harsh and I don't really mean to be at all. But for me that thought process totally worked.

I'm still a vegan who thinks omni food smells great. I work in Philly the land of cheesesteaks. There must be a food cart on every block and at lunch time the smell is overwhelming! It always smells good even 4 years later. But that doesn't mean I want to eat it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I know this is a bit controversial, but I found it to be true for me -- when I had cravings at first, I would treat them as my body telling me that I needed a particular nutrient that was found in the food I was craving. Then I would think about what I'd been eating lately and realize "oh, I haven't been eating enough protein/iron/fat/whatever" and then eat something vegan that was a good source of that nutrient. For instance, if I felt like I was craving steak, I would go eat something like spinach that is also high in iron. I found that this almost always works for me. It's not necessarily the right strategy for everybody, but it definitely helped me a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 pm 
Impressive boner

I've been vegan for almost three years. I still have cravings for some animal products but use the same sorts of thoughts about it that CQ has described, so if I want something meaty I have protein, if I want something cheesy I have something greasy and salty. I've yet to venture into eating seaweed when I crave fish but it's not far off!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

8ball wrote:
I've been vegan for almost three years. I still have cravings for some animal products but use the same sorts of thoughts about it that CQ has described, so if I want something meaty I have protein, if I want something cheesy I have something greasy and salty. I've yet to venture into eating seaweed when I crave fish but it's not far off!

This is an awesome strategy. If you're a sushi lover, one: there's a ton of vegan options there anyway, and two, there are seasoned seaweed snacks out there (with sesame oil and salt) that are so forking good. They are like sushi flavor concentrate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will add this. Sometimes your senses just change on their own. The smell of fish never used to bother me one bit. Today by chance three people in my office have reheated fish for lunch. I had to run out of the building to escape it. Now I have a candle lit in my office because I can't stand the stench. Seriously, ready to vomit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

GraciaKai wrote:
Stop thinking of meat as "gross" and start thinking of it as a defenseless animal that was violently slaughtered and then made into a crappy food product by companies that don't give a shiitake about you, the animal, or their employees.

Yup! animal slaughter/rape/abuse is gross! gross! gross!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i went from lacto-ovo veg for 15+ years to vegan. i didnt ease into it slowly i just dropped the dairy cold turkey.

i think going from veg to vegan makes the transition easier cause you already kinda think meat is disgusting and unedible (at least i did)

i didnt have much of a problem getting rid of dairy because a few years ago my body decided it was lactose intolerant and all the really yummy dairy things like ice cream and pizza make me violently ill.
so that helped a lot because i dont CRAVE ice cream because i look at it and think how ill it will make me.

all that being said the smell of a BBQ in the summer or the smell of pizza really is amazing. i cant say im really tempted but i will say it smells amazingly good and for the pizza i wish i could eat it.
i have no desire to eat meat. it just grosses me out but occasionally pizza will haunt me even though i know it will make me sick. i dont think ive found a good vegan substitute for pizza so that may be why.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well I've been vegetarian for a decade, and vegan for 7 years, and I still get the cravings! I don't think they ever truly go away, but they do change. My cravings are definitely more for the idea, the theory of the meal. When I'm a room with bacon in a pan, the smell does smell really gross! But the idea of the texture and memory of the taste still get me craving.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i also went from omni to vegan overnight (both my spouse and i did january 1st 2008) and my cravings have kinda changed (they did about a year in, as i seem to remember). there are times when i think "oh, i remember that smell - that smells kinda good." but i don't really crave meat in itself. i never stopped eating meat because i didn't like it anymore. i really liked the way it smelled, looked and tasted - but having been vegan for a while now i always think to myself, "i can make something just as awesome at home and it won't harm any non-human animals in the process. huzzah!".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:22 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've found it helpful as well to not beat myself because I think something smells good. There are probably certain foods that I will always think smell good, but it's just not worth eating it. I will say that sometimes those micro BBQ packets are a Godsend (Gardein has one and LightLife, I think? I usually get the Gardein).