| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: US elections - 2012
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Not that long ago my ex-girlfriend didn't have any kind of ID. She was in Oregon but was from and born in California and had a California license. It expired, but to get an Oregon license or state ID she needed a birth certificate, which she did not have. To order a California birth certificate from Oregon, she needed to get something signed by a notary here. Guess what you need to get something signed by a notary? An unexpired ID! So that wasn't an option. She had to travel to California to get a new California license. This also involved flying with an expired license, which was also a huge pain. It can be ridiculously complicated to get ID, and in this case it cost several hundred dollars.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

mumbles wrote:
In-person voter fraud is a pretty terrible way of swaying an election--my three votes don't have any greater effect on the outcome than one, and now I've risked a felony conviction. If you're going to take that risk, better to engage in voter intimidation and suppression--you know, like a black guy standing next to a polling place.

or perhaps paint a mural of a sitting President years in advance, biding your time to strike.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11 ... officials/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 pm 
WRETCHED

When I went to vote, I had my driver's license in my hand prepared to give it to them just in case and the person taking my name seemed very annoyed and told me I had to put it away. I didn't know if they would want it for any reason so I had it out just in case. You don't have to look at me like I killed your dog for having my ID available (or maybe you do).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
When I went to vote, I had my driver's license in my hand prepared to give it to them just in case and the person taking my name seemed very annoyed and told me I had to put it away. I didn't know if they would want it for any reason so I had it out just in case. You don't have to look at me like I killed your dog for having my ID available (or maybe you do).

yeah I sort of had the same thing happen to me, last time I voted, which is what confused me. I understand if you don't have to show ID, but they acted like it was a very taboo thing to have your ID out at all.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
ugh

strawberryrock wrote:
Not that long ago my ex-girlfriend didn't have any kind of ID. She was in Oregon but was from and born in California and had a California license. It expired, but to get an Oregon license or state ID she needed a birth certificate, which she did not have. To order a California birth certificate from Oregon, she needed to get something signed by a notary here. Guess what you need to get something signed by a notary? An unexpired ID! So that wasn't an option. She had to travel to California to get a new California license. This also involved flying with an expired license, which was also a huge pain. It can be ridiculously complicated to get ID, and in this case it cost several hundred dollars.

Oof, I hear you. I had to get my birth certificate when I wanted to get my passport, and it took me a good couple weeks to get my birth certificate, despite living in the same state! First they didn't have it, then they had it but needed such-and-such a thing in order to give it to me, then I got one with the wrong birth date (!!!), etc. etc. And I'm lucky enough to work with a notary public who didn't need my ID and didn't charge me anything.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:55 pm 
ugh

Quarantined wrote:
linanil wrote:

yeah I sort of had the same thing happen to me, last time I voted, which is what confused me. I understand if you don't have to show ID, but they acted like it was a very taboo thing to have your ID out at all.

Maybe they're worried someone will accuse them of asking for your ID?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine saw this outside a Shell station in Philly today.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We must have ID in Virginia, although there are a lot of options for that.

Voting is a lot easier in the suburbs, I think. Northern Virginia lines were always horrifically long though. Many people where I live had to take a couple hours off work to vote because they commute to DC and need to leave by 5am. They likely won't return in time to vote after work. Polling hours suck. 6amplus waiting in line (was pretty long by the time I left and the women checking IDs were painfully slow) is too late for many people.

My GED students all said they had no time to vote be ause of work--one is a nurse aid working a 14 hr shift today. I think people don't know that they can get the absentee ballots. I'm not sure why this isn't publicized more. I also think every state should have early voting.

I distrust these paper ballots as much or more than machines because they are fed into a reader that was already having issues at 6am. Not a good sign!

Tofulish: I wasn't trying to say that voting would be easy in NY and NJ; I know it won't be. I just think that people have a lot of grit and will do what they can instead of not bothering. I hope steps like the National Guard going to people will help.

Power company employees will probably be ok with voting. I know or have known a few people with those sort of jobs, and many are likely to have already had absentee ballots for that reason, and the companies usually take pretty good care of the teams they send out places around the clock. My cousin's husband does this and his benefits and company treatment are so much better than hers as a state prosecutor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh and supposedly, every time the Washington Redskins lose at home the Sunday before an election, the guy in power loses. The Redskins lost at home on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh my God.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
Oh and supposedly, every time the Washington Redskins lose at home the Sunday before an election, the guy in power loses. The Redskins lost at home on Sunday.

The Redskins always lose, period. Personally, I think they have bad karma because they refuse to change their damn name. My dad is generally depressed on Sundays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
Oh my God.

A friend of mine is an election monitor and got that photo from a community organizer in Philly. She said its a reminder that there is a lot of racism at play here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Speaking of community organizers, I have heard that said of Obama so many times in a negative way. May I ask exactly what it means and why it's considered by some as a bad thing?

I can't imagine it means anything but good stuff, unless you are organizing crime in the community...?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

This was my husband's first election voting as an out transgendered person. He was really nervous, thinking someone was going to stop him from voting. But the old biddies at the town office loved him, and he didn't have any problems.
Woo! Something went right!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Oh my God.

A friend of mine is an election monitor and got that photo from a community organizer in Philly. She said its a reminder that there is a lot of racism at play here.

I am thankful to be sheltered from. Lot of that. I never witnessed such things until I lived in Ohio and then Chiacago. I grew up on a lot of military bases where people had traveled, there were many international and interracial marriages, and kids either learned some tolerance or at least learned to keep it to themselves. It was pretty similar in Northern Virginia, though I think that this is changing a lot as demographics have shifted. Chicago shocked me to my core, especially when I saw things through the eyes of my Brooklyn friend.

This is one reason I love teaching at a very diverse school. Bullying exists, sure, but there actually aren't many cases having to do with racism or homophobia.

I wish that my students would never, ever have to see a photo like that, much less experience such hatred. I know they will though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:31 pm 
WRETCHED

I can't imagine anyone having an effigy of ANYONE let alone the president of the united states being hung. My head hurts now, I just can't imagine what would go through someone's mind except just pure racist hatred.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I realize that not all Republicans, not even all TEA Baggers are the same, but I just can't take right wingers seriously about taking umbrage at accusations of racism when I read things like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Voting went well for me! Even though I don't love my voting place (it's cramped and awkward) lines are virtually gone since early voting has taken effect in NC. Reading all the difficulties others have to deal with, I feel really fortunate. And I made sure to tell the lady sitting beside the machine thanks for working and making us able to vote today.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
Semen Strong

flavabean wrote:
This was my husband's first election voting as an out transgendered person. He was really nervous, thinking someone was going to stop him from voting. But the old biddies at the town office loved him, and he didn't have any problems.
Woo! Something went right!

So cool! Mr Bean is awesome. I loved your matching voting shirts picture <3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
Bullying exists, sure, but there actually aren't many cases having to do with racism or homophobia.

I thought this was a great article about the softer impacts of racism. Even in very diverse schools http://goodmenproject.com/featured-cont ... PaWZGh5.01 /threadjack.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:

But supposedly the World Series winners (Giants?) means that Obama will win. Probably a better predictor is whether the Stock Market is up and it is.

I am a bit frightened though, as there seem to be a lot of shenanigans going on in some of the swing states (early voting screw-ups, long lines in Democratic-leaning areas, "provisional" ballots, etc.). I also just can't understand how anyone trusts Romney AT ALL when he changes his position from day-to-day on huge issues. I just hope Romney loses decisively (more than the polls indicate) and the Democrats keep the Senate so that maybe, just maybe, Republicans in Congress will finally help get things moving again in gov't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i just don't understand how it's legal for the romney family to own voting machines. voting machines should belong to the states or to the federal government.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There seemed to be a good percentage of younger people at my polling place today. I usually vote in all the town elections too, and I am almost always the only person there under 50, so it was very different to see all the people in their 20s waiting to vote.

Do most polling places give out those "I voted" stickers? Mine never does, but I have seen people walking around wearing them today, and posting pictures of them to facebook. I feel kinda left out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my polling place didn't seem to give them out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:58 pm 
WRETCHED

My place had them on Thursday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next