| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Food came up at my new job yesterday, so my co-worker knows I'm vegan. I got to spend the entire day hearing her talk about all the meat she likes and killing farm animals and "vaygun." And she kept trying to bait me with lines like "But you have to supplement so much," which I stealthily avoided by changing the subject or leaving the room to do something else. She's nice otherwise, but jeez. I see you guys complain about these people, but I've really never had to deal with them, aside from a comment about eggs like once a year from my husband's grandparents. Apparently there's another vegan who works there though, and I never meet vegans IRL, so that's exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't like it when vegetarian or vegan versions of meaty recipes change the name to something like Shepherdess' Pie or Sloppy Janes. Stop gendering my food! That's like if I made a vegan Peach Melba called a Peach Marvin or something. It's silly! And sexist!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:50 pm 
And you never will.

Gulliver wrote:
I don't like it when vegetarian or vegan versions of meaty recipes change the name to something like Shepherdess' Pie or Sloppy Janes. Stop gendering my food! That's like if I made a vegan Peach Melba called a Peach Marvin or something. It's silly! And sexist!

But, those things were already gendered...? Or is male the default, but if you change it to female that's gendering?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Gulliver wrote:

OMG, now I have to make a peach marvin. What would that even be? Maybe instead of my dainty, feminine vanilla ice cream I will have peaches with a nice, manly, rocky road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think it's kind of like saying that vegan or vegetarian things are more "feminine"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm 
And you never will.

Still not seeing the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

poopiebitch wrote:
Still not seeing the problem.

I like the cut of your jib, madame.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

karichelle wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
ZoeTate wrote:
Peeve - someone needs to manufacture noochy popcorn (or possibly noochy potato chips) and put it in the vending machine at work. If they dyed the nooch flourescent orange I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Have you tried Tings yet? If not, I bet you're are going to love them!!!!

Tings are noochy vegan Cheetos, basically. Dangerous for me. They're that good.

AWESOME! Thank you, I had never heard of them. Looks like Whole Foods carries them. I need salty crunchy snacks for work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

DEG wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

OMG, now I have to make a peach marvin. What would that even be? Maybe instead of my dainty, feminine vanilla ice cream I will have peaches with a nice, manly, rocky road.

a lot of the time it has to do with the cookbook author. like, i'm pretty sure terry and isa called it shepherdess pie because they're women and they made the recipe. or joanna calls them sloppy joannas because that's her name.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'd eat a peach marvin. it sounds like a tidy dessert that would tuck its shirt in and be good at math.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:34 am 
Flounceiad 2011

acr wrote:
i'd eat a peach marvin. it sounds like a tidy dessert that would tuck its shirt in and be good at math.
Now I need to invent this shiitake.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was thinking Marvin the Martian.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

acr wrote:

No, no, everyone knows the dessert that is good at math is pi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm peeved when other vegans expect others to be all knowledgeable about every animal welfare issue/organisation/etc under the sun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

and I feel like I'm in school again, trying to break in to vegan clubs and being ignored. A friend and I are in a vegan specific leisure group which seems to have a sort of clique element. Okay fair enough most of those people know eachother well and always get together. But whenever an event is put up and my friend and I say yes we'll go and we start asking some questions, those regulars all go quiet and never answer our questions but talk to eachother. It can't be personal as we've never met these people before, except one who is really nice. And then I feel like a stupid dork because I've joined the "who wants to sign up?" conversation with jovial chit chat. Someone posted an event that needed minimum numbers, a few regulars signed up but they needed two more. So my friend and I signed up and suddenly there is no more talk about this event. It just feels crepe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:19 am 

forking Daiya cheese! Whenever I eat it, within a couple hours I can feel it congealing in my guts like freaking cement. And then I swear to myself that next time someone is like "do you want vegan cheese or dairy cheese on that?" I'm going to be like "actually, just leave off the cheese altogether" and not do this to myself! But every time, I am tempted by the promise of sticky gooey cheesiness, and every time, I regret it. Bleurgh!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm with you on the daiya, choirqueer. I sometimes sort of like it while I'm eating it, but then it just hits my stomach like a brick. It's never worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm on another vegan specific fitness/health related forum and I'm getting annoyed by the lack of responses/encouragement myself and the other 'bigger' women are getting. But when buff, attractive women posts their latest pics, they get a heap of replies. I'm really getting bummed by it, I'm slightly overweight coming from formerly obese, I've worked hard and am still working hard but obviously I don't look 'hot' enough, even with my face edited out of my photos. The only people responding to me are people who are still overweight including some who were also obese. Sucks to think we're still not 'acceptable. Hmmmppphh. When I reach my goal and post hot pics of myself and I get all the blokes (and some of the other women) congratulating me, I'll say yep thanks for the support you showed when I was still overweight. Gahhh...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 pm 
WRETCHED

I say screw them violet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:58 pm 
And you never will.

linanil wrote:
I say screw them violet.

+1 yummy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

yeah, violet. it sounds like it's just a bad group.

creep wrote:
.... I got to spend the entire day hearing her talk about all the meat she likes and killing farm animals and "vaygun."....

has mispronouncing the word "vegan" already been mentioned in this thread? if so, i think it could stand a second mentioning. what on earth in the english language makes you think vegan has a soft "g" when people say, "vee-jun"???? and then there's "vee-ghan"! this may well not be true, but i feel like they're doing it on purpose to undermine my beliefs.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 pm 

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
I'm on another vegan specific fitness/health related forum and I'm getting annoyed by the lack of responses/encouragement myself and the other 'bigger' women are getting. But when buff, attractive women posts their latest pics, they get a heap of replies. I'm really getting bummed by it, I'm slightly overweight coming from formerly obese, I've worked hard and am still working hard but obviously I don't look 'hot' enough, even with my face edited out of my photos. The only people responding to me are people who are still overweight including some who were also obese. Sucks to think we're still not 'acceptable. Hmmmppphh. When I reach my goal and post hot pics of myself and I get all the blokes (and some of the other women) congratulating me, I'll say yep thanks for the support you showed when I was still overweight. Gahhh...

I bet if you posted your picture here, everybody would tell you how gorgeous you are.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

chouettes crêpes wrote:
yeah, violet. it sounds like it's just a bad group.

creep wrote:
.... I got to spend the entire day hearing her talk about all the meat she likes and killing farm animals and "vaygun."....

has mispronouncing the word "vegan" already been mentioned in this thread? if so, i think it could stand a second mentioning. what on earth in the english language makes you think vegan has a soft "g" when people say, "vee-jun"???? and then there's "vee-ghan"! this may well not be true, but i feel like they're doing it on purpose to undermine my beliefs.

I heard someone say 'vedgan' once. Like how you pronounce the beginning of vegetarian. Understandable, I guess. But it sounds funny!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i went to a party last night and was asked about being vaygun. I cut that right off and said i wasn't from Las Vegas.

Also, in related news, i posted the recipe for a pie i made for this event and someone made a snarky remark about eewww egg replacer. I did not make a nasty remark about chicken periods, even though i really wanted to. but seriously, eew, starch and baking powder, how yucky. eyeroll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

torque wrote:
Also, in related news, i posted the recipe for a pie i made for this event and someone made a snarky remark about eewww egg replacer. I did not make a nasty remark about chicken periods, even though i really wanted to. but seriously, eew, starch and baking powder, how yucky. eyeroll

A vegetarian friend of mine (who I think secretly feels really defensive about not being vegan) once went off at me in a very strange rant about egg replacer. I tried to explain to her that there are loads of different ways of replacing eggs in baking but she was having none of it, saying that any vegan cake she had ever tried (which I suspect is none) was really dry and that she felt better when she could taste the egg in cake. Same person who says she doesn't like eggs and only eats 'a bit of dairy' *facepalm*.

What makes it worse is that she'll boast about when something she's eating is vegan and says that she eats vegan most of the time! Confusing!!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 425  Next