| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: US elections - 2012
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
There seemed to be a good percentage of younger people at my polling place today. I usually vote in all the town elections too, and I am almost always the only person there under 50, so it was very different to see all the people in their 20s waiting to vote.

Do most polling places give out those "I voted" stickers? Mine never does, but I have seen people walking around wearing them today, and posting pictures of them to facebook. I feel kinda left out.

My husband and I voted early, and I don't think I saw anyone under 50, but most people were probably 70+. I'm 24, and he's 31, and the lady who checked me in actually commented on my age (or the fact that she thought I looked too young to vote). It worries me that more 20-somethings aren't out there, but I'm seeing a lot of friends on Facebook are posting about voting, so maybe they all just wait until the last day...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Mine doesn't give out stickers! never has! which caused some issues today because I wanted a 20% discount at the Gap, which I saw on their website.
Then I found out that it's actually illegal to offer discounts for voting. http://dcist.com/2012/11/more_illegal_e ... y_food.php

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Checking the signature doesn't really take any extra time - it's right next to your name when they look you up.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 pm 
Semen Strong

NH seems to be going to POTUS, and its a battleground state...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 36137.html

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've never gotten a sticker! Five pres elections, denied every time. I will move before 2016 if I have to.

Good about NH. I'm putting my faith in Nate Silver's math at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Bullying exists, sure, but there actually aren't many cases having to do with racism or homophobia.

I thought this was a great article about the softer impacts of racism. Even in very diverse schools http://goodmenproject.com/featured-cont ... PaWZGh5.01 /threadjack.

Thanks for posting that.

My perspective here, obviously, is an outsider/observer, but what I really meant is not that we live in Pollyanna rainbow unicorn no racism land, but that we don't have a hostile environment and do tend to be pretty inclusive. Another nice thing is that our counseling staff and admin really reflect the school demographics; I think this helps a lot. I'm contrasting this with my own experiences (again, an observer, although I was bullied and an outsider myself and was considered less because I'm Irish) in school in Ohio where racism was overt, hostile, and just accepted. Here, at least, lots of people will stand up and say something. Didn't mean to thread jack! But stuff like that photo is a real wake up call to those of us who don't live with it everyday.

You always have such great sources for these issues. I appreciate any that you send my way.

I just went to the grocery store, and it's mobbed everywhere. On the radio, they said that voter turnout in VA is extremely heavy and seems much greater than in 2008. I didn't realize that MD and DC polls close at 8. We close at 7 here. Polls should stay open until 10pm or so. It's all volunteers, so it isn't even like it would cost more!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

creep wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
There seemed to be a good percentage of younger people at my polling place today. I usually vote in all the town elections too, and I am almost always the only person there under 50, so it was very different to see all the people in their 20s waiting to vote.

Do most polling places give out those "I voted" stickers? Mine never does, but I have seen people walking around wearing them today, and posting pictures of them to facebook. I feel kinda left out.

My husband and I voted early, and I don't think I saw anyone under 50, but most people were probably 70+. I'm 24, and he's 31, and the lady who checked me in actually commented on my age (or the fact that she thought I looked too young to vote). It worries me that more 20-somethings aren't out there, but I'm seeing a lot of friends on Facebook are posting about voting, so maybe they all just wait until the last day...

Many of my students are 18, and most have no interest in voting. They did a formal mock election at school and almost nobody participated in that either. I swear, if it isn't on their smartphone, these kids seem to just not care. I honestly can't see many of them getting up on a day off and standing in a line to vote, even though the polling center for most is their local within-walking-distance elementary school.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 pm 
Married to the wolfman

This is only my third general election and this time I voted by mail. (I'm registered as a forever-by-mail-or-whatever voter in California, and was during the last election too, but I went in person to vote because I gave that much of a shiitake.) I got stickers both other times!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My kid immediately stole my sticker. But I'm okay with that seeing as how voting is a value we really want to instill in her. We always try to take her with us to vote, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm hanging out in skype if anyone wants to keep me company as I bite my fingernails.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also, how the heck are they able to project the winners when they only have 4% of the freaking votes in? I've always wondered.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
A Bad Person

Live NBC News election coverage is on Xbox Live right now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I don't know about you guys, but I am super nervous about the elections. I asked my boss (who is Canadian) if I can go work in Montreal if Mittens wins.

Also, there some very important propositions up in California! Dealth penalty and revising the 3 strikes law. Funny how serious and important those are but they have not gotten hardly ANY media attention.

Additionally we have a couple of really really confusing opposing props about education, and a terrible law on auto insurance (a TOTAL scam, but it will pass) and a prop on labeling all GMO food in the state of california. A total of 11 props on the ballot this time around for us!

To top it off, my partner has a gig tonight, and is leaving at like 930, so he won't be able to watch the results with me. Luckily, I have my other partner, red wine, to keep me company.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Wow Obama is leading in VA (I'm surprised) and Romney is leading in FL (not really surprised).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

The super-liberal New York Times has Romney leading by five electors! I think I'm ready to call it: Romney wins. Don't bother watching the rest of the coverage, or reading the news for the next four years. Romney wins!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 pm 
WRETCHED

How are you going to celebrate mumbles?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm 
WRETCHED

And I think I need an hour before I start watching compulsively. Huffington just flipped FL to Obama and is showing Obama leading in SC (what?). I know, I know, we we'll get a better idea with more areas reporting in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
Wow Obama is leading in VA (I'm surprised) and Romney is leading in FL (not really surprised).

Obama will probably lead most of the night. The bigger areas that are solid blue are usually quicker getting their returns in than all the redder, more rural parts of the state.

If you do a returns breakdown, as long as most in are Norfolk, Richmond, Fairfax, Prince William, and Montgomery, it's not really accurate. We just have to hope those carry the state.

I'm really praying to Zeus (as good as anybody, and he has those thunderbolts handy) that Kaine wins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Want to watch The Daily Show's live election show AND brag about not owning a TV? You're in luck. Watch the live stream at 11 p.m. EST. http://on.cc.com/TGENIT

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Venomous Head of Veganism

Did anyone else not know what POTUS meant until yesterday?

Semen Strong

President Obama of the United States is POOTUS :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:34 pm 
Semen Strong

The dog just shat all over my floor. I'm calling it for Romney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mumbles wrote:
The super-liberal New York Times has Romney leading by five electors! I think I'm ready to call it: Romney wins. Don't bother watching the rest of the coverage, or reading the news for the next four years. Romney wins!

I almost took this seriously. I should know better by now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
A Bad Person

Tofulish wrote:
Want to watch The Daily Show's live election show AND brag about not owning a TV? You're in luck. Watch the live stream at 11 p.m. EST. http://on.cc.com/TGENIT

This coverage will also be available on Xbox Live!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
Semen Strong

If you don't have a tv: http://www.youtube.com/politics?feature ... 3bff3fd3f0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next