| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's talk about water bottles!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:35 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I left my water bottle in my friend's car, so I am without it until Sunday when I see my friend again. I miss my water bottle! I carry it with me everywhere. I just got a new one, too, because the old one was gross and impossible to clean. My new one is shiny and purple and has a little dial on the neck to keep track of how much water I've consumed.

So, while I'm missing my water bottle...tell me about yours! Is it awesome? Do you carry it with you all the time? Do you have more than one? Do you have a story about yours? Or a photo? How much water do you drink each day? Tell me!

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about water bottles!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 am 
WELFARIST!

My water bottle is stainless steel with a black screw on cap and says "Word On The Street" on it which is the name of the literary festival I bought it at. It's cap has a convenient hook on it, which I never hook to anything, but the option is there. I am an ice water fiend and my regular ice cubes won't fit in the opening but luckily, I have a tray that makes little cubes and so I fill my water bottle with this entire tray of cubes and then top it off with water. Sort of like 'would you like some water with that ice?' The ice makes the exterior of my stainless steel bottle very cold after a few minutes and I start passing it from hand to hand as I can't stand the icy cold of holding it. Then, I have to stop holding it in my bare hands and wedge it between my sleeve and my side so my clothed parts can take the cold. Luckily, I only use my water bottle when I'm going downstairs to the fitness room in my condo so the elevator ride is short.

My water bottle tends to taste and smell of whatever lipstick or balm I'm wearing to the fitness room so whenever I take a swig, all I smell and taste is lipstick and metallic, wet stainless steel. People say water doesn't taste like anything--but I don't agree with that at all. I always wondered what other people were drinking when they said water tastes like nothing. I've also heard people say that vodka has no taste and I really what the fizzle then, like all in CAPS what the fizzle because vodka most definitely tastes like something. I mean, it's strong like sucking on a lemon and that's not tasting of nothing. Air tastes like nothing I would say. Water tastes like something, but I don't know what. Water tastes like an entity unto itself. My water, when I swig it from my bottle tastes like lipstick, wet stainless steel and...water.

My water bottle has it's flaws but I think it's all right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 am 
Married to the wolfman

Let's talk about bottles, baby
Let's talk about you and me
Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things
That can be
Let's talk about water bottllllessss

I have a couple of stainless steel ones I like. One's a kleen kanteen and the others are brands I don't recall. They make water taste better! Nalgenes just remind me of rugby practice.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I have a blue SIGG 1 liter bottle. It's dented, the cap is not so clean and I can't get it clean, but nevertheless it's my first and favourite water bottle. It lives on my desk at work, because I drink about 2 liters per day while sitting here, sometimes more. I miss it on long weekends when I forget to take it with me and so I drink much less and am thirsty. I bought it online 4 years ago, not realizing I could actually find it in stores all over the city.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:38 am 
Impressive boner

I re-use the 1 liter bottles of whatever mineral water I've bought until it looks like the bottle is about to develop a crack. I think I've been using my current Buxton bottle for at least 6 months. It's looking a little shabby but still usable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have two stainless bottles, both now LEAK from the lid after 5 years!! I am so disappointed, and I can't find lids that will fit them.
I can get nalgene but hate it.
So not sure what to do. People keep giving me stainless with the little sippy cup top but they only hold about a soda can's worth, i can drink 3L a day, so it don't help me much.
My current less-leaky bottle was once kelly green with an argyle pattern on it. the paint has mostly worn off, so it looks like maybe a float from the side of a fishing boat driven by an aging pirate who can't find his glasses when it's time to turn to port.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Anek Sigg sell replacement lids on their website.

I have two water bottles a 1 ltr silver Sigg bottle with both regular & sports caps. I pretty much only ever use the sports cap because it's my gym water bottle.

I also have a pink plastic My Melody bottle with a flip up straw! I take this one with me whenever I go out for the day because it's adorable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I like glass bottles. I had a gorgeous large glass bottle with a beautiful elephant etched on it that I bought at a craft fair, and a cleaner at a hotel I was staying at chucked it (didn't even recycle it, because I checked the hotel's recycling!). I still mourn its loss. Now I usually just use 1-litre mason jars, because we have millions of them sitting around at work.

I've never really liked the stainless ones because the good ones are so expensive, and the cheaper ones bend and leak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:19 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I like Kleen Kanteens. I have one with a sport top for water and an insulated one for hot drinks. They both have Herbivore's "Eat Like You Give a Damn" stickers on them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 am 
protein lump

i have one of the 22 oz. life factory glass bottles. mine is orange, which i'm not sure they make anymore. i just recently got a blue flip top for it. i luuuuuurve it. i probably drink 2 or 3 bottles a day. i should probably make sure i get a solid 3 in, but for some reason since i started working from home i drink a lot less than when i used to work in an office.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 am 

this is my all time favorite. I don't like metal water bottles because they seem to smell mildewy really fast and also I can taste the metal, which really bothers me. This BPA free plastic one is so good. It never leaks or opens in my bag, holds a good amount of water and I don't have to unscrew it to take a drink. it's the best and they are $10 at target.

http://www.thermos.com/products/intak-g ... ottle.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

ijustdiedinside wrote:
this is my all time favorite. I don't like metal water bottles because they seem to smell mildewy really fast and also I can taste the metal, which really bothers me. This BPA free plastic one is so good. It never leaks or opens in my bag, holds a good amount of water and I don't have to unscrew it to take a drink. it's the best and they are $10 at target.

http://www.thermos.com/products/intak-g ... ottle.aspx

That's the exact same one I have! What color is yours?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am 

Mine is grey because I'm boring!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Mine is grey because I'm dignified!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

sooo,... you fill your water bottles with tap water? I remember that tap water in the US didnt taste too great from all that chlorine? or is it different in some areas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 am 

it varies a lot from city to city. I drink New York tap water. However, I was born in San Diego and the tap water there is the worst!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, tap water varies HUGELY across the US. Seattle's is drinkable. The worst I've had was maybe Palm Springs.

I have a couple of cheap aluminum bottles with screw caps. They're both purple and I hardly ever use them. For workouts I have a dozen or so plastic ones of the type that fit in bike bottle cages. I am not attached to any of those really.

I probably don't drink enough water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have an insulated blue kleen kanteen. Its dented and scratched but i love it. I use it for my coffee first then for water the rest of the day. Its multipurpose! Fits in my water bottle cage on my bike too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:28 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have an orange kleen kanteen that I've had for 4 years. It works great! If I needed to replace it, I'd buy another kleen kanteen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a blue bpa free plastic Camelback. It's pretty easy to clean and I can put it in the dishwasher to get it really clean! It's on my desk at work. But I don't nearly drink enough water. I used to be really great at drinking at least three bottles worth of water a day at work. Which would be 72 oz. But I suck now, plus I had to get up and pee like every 5 minutes and that was annoying.

This isn't my exact one, but close enough.
http://shop.camelbak.com/bottles/water- ... 206_cl_207

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a green 32-ounce Nalgene (one of the newer-ish ones, so BPA-free), which has been serving me well for the past 4ish years. It is somewhat inconveniently large, so I don't really take it places. I also haveone of those plastic ones that fold flat when empty, which is pretty cool and portable.

Also, if I'm going to be at work or someplace for a while, I'll fill up my thermos with coffee or tea, and then just rinse it out and use it for water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I've never had a problem drinking tap water in the US. I drink it everywhere I go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Drinking water not from the tap weirds me out. I had this really pretty green metal bottle, but I lost the cap...now I have a plastic Oxo one I got for free that I like, but I'm not sure if it's actually BPA-free or not and I keep meaning to check. But it was free!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I am a terrible person. I lose water bottles all the time, so I gave up using a nice re-usable one.

About once a week I buy a bottle of water from the machine at work for .25, and use it and keep refilling it with water until I lose it (4-7 days). I carry water with me everywhere, and drink at least 3 20oz bottles a day.

At least I recycle them when I find a pile of them in the back of my car, or under the bed or whatever.

Also, I hate the way re-usable ones smell. I have not found one that is not stinky, no matter how often I clean it. I do use one for when I go hiking/trail running since I can put ice in it and it stays colder, but it always smells funny.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 pm 
A Bad Person

I have a smoky black plastic Camelback 1 liter bottle. It's pretty beat up, and I think it's got a leak in the top now, but I've had it for years. I love it because it's spill-proof, except for the potential leak. It has a built-in straw and a folding bite nozzle, so I can fill it up, put it in my school bag full of books and paperwork, and not worry about it.

I only drink tap water. I got over concerns about clean water and plastic containers when I was enlisted. In basic, I was drinking out of a used (by that I mean, I was not the first owner) canteen filled with water from a giant barrel on wheels. Clean water from the tap is an underappreciated luxury.