| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yes, I just got two boxes of the shelf stable silken tofu. I can find it elsewhere close to me, but for about a dollar more a box, plus it's always nice to be able to get everything you want in one stop. I asked the cashier if it was new, and she said yes, it just came in yesterday. I haven't tried it yet. It doesn't say what firmness it is. My TJ's also had those non-tofurkey roasts with gravy that looked suspiciously like tofurkeys. They were also the exact same price that TJ's usually sells tofurkeys for. Hmmm, could it be re-packaged tofureky? But why, when they've been selling branded tofurkey for the same price for years?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Yes, I just got two boxes of the shelf stable silken tofu. I can find it elsewhere close to me, but for about a dollar more a box, plus it's always nice to be able to get everything you want in one stop. I asked the cashier if it was new, and she said yes, it just came in yesterday. I haven't tried it yet. It doesn't say what firmness it is. My TJ's also had those non-tofurkey roasts with gravy that looked suspiciously like tofurkeys. They were also the exact same price that TJ's usually sells tofurkeys for. Hmmm, could it be re-packaged tofureky? But why, when they've been selling branded tofurkey for the same price for years?

I'm pretty curious. I read something that suggested it might be more like Gardein, in which case it could be really good. I am going to try and find it this weekend though, and I will report back. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Tofurky roast- it seems to have improved the last few years but I still am not crazy for ir.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:46 am 
Tofu Pup

Audrey wrote:
I always mean to mention to this thread the Old-Fashioned Peanuts (they say "Blistered" and are in a blue bag). My partner and toddler are obsessed with them; they're a bit salty so we ration them but very tasty, even more so than just roasted peanuts.

And I'm kinda bummed because I just realized that the orange juice we've been buying from TJs forever is fortified with D3. So most definitely not vegan, right? fork.

i love those peanuts! and i never was the type to willingly eat them. i used to pick out the peanuts in cracker jack and give them to my dad. the tj blister peanuts are so crunchy and salty. i should ration them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think the silken tofu is the "firm" version, from reading the rest of the box and what the name of it means.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Quarantined wrote:

I'm pretty curious. I read something that suggested it might be more like Gardein, in which case it could be really good. I am going to try and find it this weekend though, and I will report back. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Tofurky roast- it seems to have improved the last few years but I still am not crazy for ir.

Seeing a pic of the packaging, I thought it looked more like Gardein for some reason, but that's completely my opinion. I thought I saw it at TJ's, but I was having a panic attack from making the mistake of going on a Sunday afternoon. I kept looking at it and thinking it looked like not turkey, but I kept reading it as turkey. Is there a real turkey stuffed loaf?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:

Seeing a pic of the packaging, I thought it looked more like Gardein for some reason, but that's completely my opinion. I thought I saw it at TJ's, but I was having a panic attack from making the mistake of going on a Sunday afternoon. I kept looking at it and thinking it looked like not turkey, but I kept reading it as turkey. Is there a real turkey stuffed loaf?

I just bought it, at the Boylston store it was in the refrigerated case with meats in the front across from the checkout lines- near the hummus and stuff. The ingredients look like Gardein to me- I saw something about "ancient grains" on there and Gardein always has that in their ingredients.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molasses jane wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Does anyone know if the Speculoos filled dark chocolate bar is vegan?
http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/20 ... -with.html

tragically, it's not vegan.

yet, I find myself checking on most visits, hoping, hoping, hoping it changes...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Quarantined wrote:

If you test it let us know. My husband wants to try it, but it just doesn't look that good on the package. If I have a ppk taste test then we will try it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:48 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

I just bought it, at the Boylston store it was in the refrigerated case with meats in the front across from the checkout lines- near the hummus and stuff. The ingredients look like Gardein to me- I saw something about "ancient grains" on there and Gardein always has that in their ingredients.

DUDE! I was just there. WEIRD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:

bhaha, really?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

bhaha, really?

Yea! I got an intense craving for cookies, so I got some soft-baked snickerdoodles. So random. I even checked this again, because I was like, why would I think that was real turkey? I might get it, but I didn't want to have to carry it back to work and then to the gym.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

bhaha, really?

Yea! I got an intense craving for cookies, so I got some soft-baked snickerdoodles. So random. I even checked this again, because I was like, why would I think that was real turkey? I might get it, but I didn't want to have to carry it back to work and then to the gym.

weird coincidence! It is strange that they have it by the meats. I looked all around before I could find it.

I've decided to make this tonight, will report back!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 pm 

Cool! Yes, I was kind of freaked out by the actual turkeys now in store. Carcass!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:55 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Is the vegan roast a repackaged Gardein? I saw on the ad it features 'ancient grains'...if so I am out on cheap faux-turkey due to allergies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jdfunks wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Does anyone know if the Speculoos filled dark chocolate bar is vegan?
http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/20 ... -with.html

tragically, it's not vegan.

yet, I find myself checking on most visits, hoping, hoping, hoping it changes...

Confession: I'm not fully vegan. I'm vegetarian, and consume very small amounts of dairy/eggs, and would like to get there eventually - but I'm just not there yet.

That being said, I tried the Speculoos bar, and I was disappointed. I didn't really taste the Speculoos - just the chocolate. So you're not missing out on anything!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

what's in the falafel wrap that it's only marked vegetarian? i read through the ingerdients every visit and i can't figure it out!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The Turkey-less Roast was good, but mushy in the way that refrigerated (not frozen) Gardein products are. Personally I liked the taste, and the stuffing was good. Definitely preferred it taste-wise over Tofurky, but I daresay Tofurky has a slightly better texture.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
The Turkey-less Roast was good, but mushy in the way that refrigerated (not frozen) Gardein products are. Personally I liked the taste, and the stuffing was good. Definitely preferred it taste-wise over Tofurky, but I daresay Tofurky has a slightly better texture.

Thank you for the report. My husband went and got one last night and he is making it tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 pm 
Semen Strong

The Soycutash is disappointing. Its just frozen edamame with frozen corn. Yawn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have been watching my food budget lately and making my own brown rice from dried. I found a good method, or I thought it was good.

Then I broke down and bought the frozen kind at TJ's again. That is one convenience food that is totally worth the price. It is PERFECT. Going to stock up on that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Last night I bought a 6 pack of Hansen's root beer with the rest of my food...On the way to the car a lady stopped me and told me something was leaking. Well, one of the can exploded in my bag. I went back and the manager gave me a new cloth bag and replaced the soda - he even offered to replace the food but I assured him the Luna bars and spices were OK! Great customer service!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:01 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Trader Joe's is the master of the universe when it comes to customer service. Sometimes I feel like I have to fight them off. No, really, that's very kind of you, but I would totally feel like I was robbing you, I can't let you do that! Stop trying to give me free stuff, I already love you and am a customer for life!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:59 am 

My husband made the roast tonight and he thought it was okay. He ate most of it, so I am guessing that means it was good. The texture was a little weird for me, but it seemed like something that would be really good in a pot pie.

We also bought a bag of the 17 bean soup (dry bag of beans). I mostly followed the directions and the soup ended up really good. I will be picking up more of that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Zoey wrote:
My husband made the roast tonight and he thought it was okay. He ate most of it, so I am guessing that means it was good. The texture was a little weird for me, but it seemed like something that would be really good in a pot pie.

We also bought a bag of the 17 bean soup (dry bag of beans). I mostly followed the directions and the soup ended up really good. I will be picking up more of that.

My bf is an omni and he really liked the roast. He actually asked if I'm making for Thanksgiving but I'm planning on doing a homemade roast from the fat free vegan blog.

I love that 17 bean soup, I need to buy that again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:19 am 
Semen Strong

I love the 17 bean too. Must make! And I need that roast. Nommers!

How the heck is Thanksliving just a few weeks away?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 116  Next