| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gluten-Free & Vegan Bread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This book is great! Julie and I just posted reviews and giveaways, so if you're interested, please check them out!

Julie's: http://www.juliehasson.com/2012/11/glut ... -giveaway/
Mine: http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2012/11/ ... ecker.html

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Post subject: Re: Gluten-Free & Vegan Bread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:15 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

are you not having trouble with excessively long baking times/extremely high temperatures? I'm baking bricks! I love the book, but I have to rely on my own instincts for time/temps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

MoniDew wrote:
are you not having trouble with excessively long baking times/extremely high temperatures? I'm baking bricks! I love the book, but I have to rely on my own instincts for time/temps.

not really, no! i overbaked the kalamata loaf a bit, but it still came out great. have you tried using an instant read thermometer?

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm 

I'll have to pick one up. And, review the book for the optimum internal temp. Baked the basic sourdough today, took it out 20+ minutes early, still looks too done. And I really think these breads need to rise!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

maybe try one that's not a sourdough? i've stuck with the sandwich loaves, quick breads and round european style loaves with great success. they're not overbaked and they rise plenty.

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 am 

kittee wrote:
maybe try one that's not a sourdough? i've stuck with the sandwich loaves, quick breads and round european style loaves with great success. they're not overbaked and they rise plenty.

Yes, I'm doing better with the sandwich breads now. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Do all of these breads use xanthan gum or guar gum? I'm interested in the book but don't want to purchase online and then not be able to use the recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 am 

most, but not all of the recipes include xanthan gum. the sourdough recipes, generally speaking, do not.

but I have found a couple of tricks on my own to eliminate it = that aren't in the books!

First is, gf oat flour seems to not need any xanthan gum. it's a bit gelatinous, like flaxseed meal or chiaseed meal, it holds itself together. So, if a portion of your flour is oat, and you include flax and chia in the mix, you may be able to skip the xanthan.

The second is, throw about 1/2 c of large lima beans, butterbeans, in your blender (canned is fine, drained). Add that to your baking or flour processes, whatever they are. Breads, cookies, sauces. I haven't found anything it's bad in. You don't taste beaniness. It just adds a nice soft texture. Legit! It works shockingly well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 am 
Naked Under Apron

Honestly, IMHO the recipes without xantham don't turn out. SOOoooo.
There's also an errata for the book, which you can see here (for those with the book).
http://jenniferkatzinger.files.wordpres ... errata.pdf

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 am 

kittee wrote:
Honestly, IMHO the recipes without xantham don't turn out. SOOoooo.
There's also an errata for the book, which you can see here (for those with the book).
http://jenniferkatzinger.files.wordpres ... errata.pdf

xo
kittee

OMG! And it all becomes so clear! Thank you for the errata. Just as I suspected, every one of those times/temps was wrong! They must have released that book way too soon or something... but now it makes perfect sense. I was just about to throw the book out. I'm going to give it one more chance with the time/temp corrections and see how it goes. thank you, kittee!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

MoniDew wrote:
Thank you for the errata. J

I was just about to throw the book out. I'm going to give it one more chance with the time/temp corrections and see how it goes. thank you, kittee!

Hi! I evidently have a 2nd edition, as I printed the errata and compared, and my Fougasse recipe matches the printout.

It is delicious and has a lovely, chewy interior - but MAN, is the top crust SUPER hard. And I even took it out 9 minutes early, because it appeared to be (and had begun) scorching. The inside was nearly done, but seemed like it needed those last 9 minutes...

I have a digital oven, and I always cook and bake with great success, so this was a bit of a bummer. I definitely followed each step carefully. I'm gonna try another and hope for better results.

One question: her glossary of the different flours somewhat likens sorghum to millet (at least the plants that produce the grain). Has anyone sub'd sorghum for millet? I don't have millet, so thought I'd give it a try - although I'm less enthusiastic and more wary after my rock-hard/super-crunchy crust Fougasse. =(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

VeganVamp, all of the recipes I've tried from this book have had a super-hard, burnt crust. I too have a corrected edition but those cooking times are bonkers. I'm really disappointed with it. I do want to try the sandwich bread still, but that will be my last if it doesn't work!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kiddo wrote:
VeganVamp, all of the recipes I've tried from this book have had a super-hard, burnt crust. I too have a corrected edition but those cooking times are bonkers. I'm really disappointed with it. I do want to try the sandwich bread still, but that will be my last if it doesn't work!

Blah... Such a bummer to hear. I've Googled reviews/recipes from the book, and bloggers have given it SUCH flying colors.

I just whipped up the Apple Walnut Bread. It's supposed to bake @ 350ยบ for 90 min. With the scorching of the Fougasse, I set the timer for 60min (too wet), then another 15min - and it's perfectly done, although the top was just beginning to scorch... So I'll be watching the timer on any of these breads.

That said, the Apple Walnut Bread is SO YUMMY. Omni husband can't believe it's vegan AND GF... It's just that hint of sweetness, but moreover a wholesome, comforting, moist bread. Delicious with homemade butter.

I really love the information and science behind it, so I'm going to keep plugging away with hope!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay, glad something turned out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi, Kiddo! I made the Soft Millet Sandwich Bread this morning. I followed the errata sheet (which, so far, matches my version of the book).

No one would mistake this for Wonder-white style soft sandwich bread... HOWEVER, it is MOST delicious, and the texture is fabulous. I am enjoying it hot out of the oven, so I don't know if that will change as it cools and possibly hardens.

It's a tad on the dense side, but still fluffy and moist, and incredibly yummy smeared with homemade vegan butter. The quinoa flour, it seems, adds a hint of bitterness that goes just great with the overall flavor profile - but was a bit TOO bitter when I tried it with orange marmalade (bitter/tart in its own right).

All this said, SUCCESS in a nice, soft, delicious loaf that is not tooth-breaking - hooray! Inspired to try more.