Should I buy a Roomba?
Yes! You'll never have to vacuum again! 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
No! Haven't you seen "I, Robot?!?!" 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Ralph Nader 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Should I buy a Roomba?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

There's one on an awesome sale and I'm considering it. What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Should I buy a Roomba?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I want one because it would terrorize the macaw and the results would be hysterically funny. He has a thing with vacuum cleaners where he simultaneously pretends to be afraid of them but gets happy/excited at the same time. He used to be genuinely afraid, but over the years it's evolved into a game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

they are pretty cool! unless you have a cat that is going to jump on it in the middle of the night, turning it on and scaring the crepe out of you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

They really do help! My mom used to have one and she was anal and still vacuumed after the roomba once a week but you couldn't even tell we had indoor pets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm 
Chip Strong

I have thought about getting one to try to help keep up with the animal hair. But... Does it have a brush? Does it get clogged up with large dog hairballs?

The Sheltie might chase it, bark at it nonstop, and try to herd it, though. Which would be cute and amusing for about the first two minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:31 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

We had one, but I always felt like I needed to watch it which kind of defeated the point. Plus after about a year it up and died. It would spin around in a tiny circle. Tried to fix it, called the hotline, etc etc. But it was kaput. So, I wouldn't recommend it just based on that alone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:04 pm 
WRETCHED

ijustdiedinside wrote:
they are pretty cool! unless you have a cat that is going to jump on it in the middle of the night, turning it on and scaring the crepe out of you.

This is exactly why we stopped using ours. She loved to play with it so she would turn it on in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:17 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I love ours. I have three dogs--two akitas and an aussie mix. I have to pick up the big hair balls. Actually, I usually go around with a broom and sweep as much hair as I can without trying very hard because it means I have to clean out the roomba less often. It is still worth it. That thing picks up so much small stuff that I never was able to get otherwise. It makes walking around barefoot a totally different experience. And it lets me do laundry/dishes/computing while I'm vacuuming. It goes under my bed/couch! I have wood/tile floors btw, I can't really vouch for it's effectiveness on carpet.

Some other miscellaneous things you might be wondering about/interested in. It does have brushes. It comes with a tool to clean the hair off of them. I have to empty mine/clean the brushes after each room usually because of the dogs, but it's not hard. We bought ours used, the year warranty was transferable. It is helpful to clean the sensors with alcohol periodically. I used a broom before. Maybe I am just so excited about this thing because I've never had a good, quick vacuum for hard floors. We left ours running once and a dog had diarrhea in the room it was in. A horrible experience. But we were able to take the whole thing apart and clean it with alcohol. I will never run it when I'm not home again. It works better in small to medium size rooms than big open floor plans. You can get the doorway blocker things to prevent it from escaping. The battery does wear out over time. I think we need a new one. But it might be because of the dog poop disaster, who knows. Don't watch it. Too much. It takes a long time and seems like it's going in circles or deliberately missing some spots. But it's not. It's smarter than you.

In sum, I love my roomba. I want to get a scuba (mopping robot). But you might not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 am 

We had one and I felt bad for it, having to do all that painstaking vacuuming. Then the battery died and the roomba has been sitting uselessly in its wall holder for 8 years (seriously) because we've never gotten around to getting a new battery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really like ours, but something stopped working when we moved (you're supposed to remove the battery and we didn't). We actually just recently contacted them and our warranty is still good, so they're sending us another part. BUT! When it's working, it rules. I end up only vacuuming with a regular vacuum like once a month.

We do have to clean it after it does like one or two rooms though. We have two cats and a border collie mix, so there's lots of hair.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Looks like I missed the sale (sold out), but me and my gf are still thinking about one if we can find another good sale in the future.

The PPK has spoken, though, and I think I'm gonna have to go with Ralph Nader.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 pm 

I got a Roomba at a yard sale for $10 this last summer. (Find of the century!!!) It works so much better than I expected and picks up tons of dust and debris. I love it so much I'd seriously consider paying a lot for a new one if ours broke. We use it on carpet and have a cat that doesn't shed excessively.

But Ralph Nader is a close second... assuming he's willing to crawl around on my floor and pick up cat food bits and lint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love mine, but with four cats I still do a normal vacuum once a week at least. I like that it vacuums while I make dinner. Also, I use it every day whereas I did not used to vacuum that much, so my house just generally stays tidier.

I kind of like cleaning it (which I need to do about twice a week). I clean it and exclaim at my cats how damned hairy they are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We own a Neato, which is like a roomba but by a different company and some people say it works better. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison so I can't confirm or deny that, but we use ours everyday and it dramatically reduces the amount of cat hair we have on the floor. I have two cats, one that has long white fur, and it seems to be able to take care of things. We do vacuum with the regular vacuum once every two weeks, though, because the couches also collect fur and we just give everything a once over. Not sure if the floors really need it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I want one because I think it would be like having a pet who can vacuum. I have no real pets, and I hate vacuuming, so I think I need a Roomba.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:37 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You guys are making me want one of these! I know people who have them and love them but I never really wanted one before now. We hard floors throughout the whole house and I hate it when stuff gets stuck to my feet. It would be awesome if the floors were always clean!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ours is called Florian, and fills the tripping-you-up-if-you-don't-watch-your-step role left when our little dog passed away. It's not great at corners, and it's just the wrong height to cope with Ikea Billy bookcase doors without getting jammed, but it's pretty good for a relatively effortless way of keeping the dust down. We'd buy another one if it broke.