| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Joliepolie wrote:
I haven't read through this entire thread yet..but can someone tell me where I might find non dairy yogurt that doesn't contain added sugar? I don't seem to be having any luck.

Is it really that bad if the yogurt has added sugar? It seems like you're using such a small amount in starting the yogurt that it wouldn't matter. But I don't even have the book yet, so what do I know?!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:41 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have used both the stong dark and the lighter more mellow miso. If you have the stong dark stuff, use a little less (taste for preference) and you'll be fine.

I order my cashews online, along with my VWG and some other supplies. It's still expensive, but a little less so than if I buy them at the health food store. My favorite online miller shop has a kilo of cashews of about €16. They have been getting more expensive recently, I remember it used to be €14 for a kilo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've had a block of air dried cheddar drying for 48 hours now, and the outside is full of cracks. I think maybe I over salted the outside of the cheese. I tasted a tiny chunk, and the cheese is sharp and tangy. I'm worried that if I let it keep drying, the cheese will crumble. Is it too soon to refrigerate? I do plan to let it ripen for a few weeks before slicing.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Try doing the salt brine/wine brush someone else recommended a few pages back, from Miyoko's blog!

I'm excited to jump back into the book this week after not making anything in a month while I've been away. Probably starting with some mozzarella, first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

okay, I'll try the wine and see if that helps. The outer texture is kind of crumbly, but it's hard to tell if the cheese is firm enough to slice yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:20 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

pickledtreats wrote:
PoesiePie wrote:
Don't forget some quinoa for your rejuvelac!

Got it! I still have some in the pantry.

My only "concern" is the cashews. I can't really tell if they're raw or not. They look raw and don't "taste" roasted, so I'm assuming they are. Is it really bad if the cashews aren't raw? Anyone tried the cheeses with cashews like this?

Apparently, "raw cashews" aren't really raw. They're always heat treated or they'd be toxic. So when most recipes ask for raw cashews, they're really "raw cashews" and it sounds like what you've got there are "raw cashews", if you know what I mean.

Can I just say I follow this thread closely out of fascination, even though I don't see myself having the patience/wherewithall to try any of the recipes any time soon. I bow to all you folks who are diving into the cheesemaking head first!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lepelaar wrote:
Apparently, "raw cashews" aren't really raw. They're always heat treated or they'd be toxic. So when most recipes ask for raw cashews, they're really "raw cashews" and it sounds like what you've got there are "raw cashews", if you know what I mean.

Can I just say I follow this thread closely out of fascination, even though I don't see myself having the patience/wherewithall to try any of the recipes any time soon. I bow to all you folks who are diving into the cheesemaking head first!

I was very skeptical and didn't think I was going to get into cheese making. I downloaded a sample of the book to try out first and was pleasantly surprised when I found myself able to make rejuvelac and a batch of soft Gruyere successfully.

Tom Petty wrote:
The waiting is the hardest part.

I'm not all that patient, but I am a procrastinator so I try to look at the culturing time as putting things off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Just tried the air dried cheddar after four days of drying. It is soo good! I only used 1 Tablespoon of the optional canola oil but the texture is fantastic. Reminds me of the punk rawk labs stuff but possibly better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm a little too intimidated to buy this book, but I'm crossing my fingers for Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So I made the basic raw cashew cheese a week ago and left it in the fridge while I was away... and it's gone from good to amazingly, astoundingly, I'd-pay-good-money-for-this delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Gulliver wrote:
So I made the basic raw cashew cheese a week ago and left it in the fridge while I was away... and it's gone from good to amazingly, astoundingly, I'd-pay-good-money-for-this delicious.

Love it! I did the same with the cream cheese. Thought it was a bit bland and then tasted it again a few days later and was amazing. Just made the smoked provolone (with water not rejuvelac) and it tasted amazing straight from the pot, so looking forward to being able to slice it up once its cooled.

On a side note, i sprouted my quinoa like normal, and put in a clean jar, added water etc and its been sitting there for 27 hours and still not getting any fermenting smell from it. Its been cold here so should i just keep leaving it? Whats the longest i can leave it before it goes rancid and wont work...?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Started culturing both the fresh (a sunflower seed version) and melty mozzarella (second time for this one) tonight ! I'm having strawberryrock over for pizza later this week !!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:22 am 
Tofu Pup

My copy of this book should be coming tomorrow, so excited guys! Got to start a quinoa rejuvelac tomorrow. Any tips from those of you who use quinoa? Do any of the varieties work or do any of you have preferences? Never made a rejuvelac before!

So excited! Yeeeehah!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:00 am 
Naked Under Apron

veganfazool wrote:
Any tips from those of you who use quinoa? Do any of the varieties work or do any of you have preferences? Never made a rejuvelac before!

any regular quinoa will do, just don't buy anything that's been pre-sprouted.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm making the basic cashew cheese, and had trouble getting the mixture smooth enough even in my Vitamix. It's kind of gritty but I didn't want to add more rejuvelac and have the cheese end up being too runny. I soaked the cashews for 3 hours, which probably wasn't enough time.

I'll try making the brie recipe after the cheese has cultured, since that calls for additional blending with oil and should smooth things out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

How mouldy is too mouldy? We went away for two weeks and the cheddar became white and fluffy! I cut away the whole if the outside and brined it... There isn't a whole lot left but I'd like to keep trying- proof of concept! It was tasting a not of hairspray before we left and hasn't improved... Should I ditch it?

I'm actually a little discouraged on the cheddar front. The initial mixes have been delicious but I didn't like the melty cheddar at all, the sharp cheddar tastes if chemicals (possible contamination?) and the air-dried is ok but not very cheddary... It tastes of cashews to me...

I was conservative about cheese BV (before Vegan) so I may me a difficult customer but I would love to nail the cheddar- should I get back on the horse..?

I'm very happy with the air-dried Parmesan (I have it on all sorts of stuff and it goes wonderfully crispy when cooked (try it on a Shepard's Pie), and the melty mozzarella is pretty good on pizza. Otherwise I'd be throwing in the towel, so talk to me! Should I chuck my cheddar? Should I try again and if so which one?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If it makes you feel any better, I wasnt crazy about the cheddar I made either (air dried)...I did add it to chipotles and butternut to make the cheese dip (also added some rotel)--it made a great cheese dip, but I did not like it on its own. All the other cheeses I have tried, I like a lot. My personal opinion is that, 1. the cheddar doesnt really taste like cheddar, and 2. I think some people expect it to taste just like cheddar--so they find it disappointing perhaps...just my opinion...

The brie, gruyere, piquant brown and cream cheeses are all wonderful! The Gruyere makes a fantastic fondue- I loved it!!!

If you make/keep the cheddar, you might try to make a cheese dip or something. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I put my second attempt at the melty mozzarella in a ice water brine today and I have more...mushes vs. the rounds I had last time : (
I'll still see if it's usable but...boo.

In happier news, I made a batch of a jalapeno-take on the muenster that's also chilling, and looks great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Daphne wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I wasnt crazy about the cheddar I made either (air dried)...I did add it to chipotles and butternut to make the cheese dip (also added some rotel)--it made a great cheese dip, but I did not like it on its own. All the other cheeses I have tried, I like a lot. My personal opinion is that, 1. the cheddar doesnt really taste like cheddar, and 2. I think some people expect it to taste just like cheddar--so they find it disappointing perhaps...just my opinion...

The brie, gruyere, piquant brown and cream cheeses are all wonderful! The Gruyere makes a fantastic fondue- I loved it!!!

If you make/keep the cheddar, you might try to make a cheese dip or something. :)

I loved the soft Gruyere but i don't even remember what the dairy version tastes like. I haven't tasted my air dried cheddar yet but I'm going to try and let go of any expectation that it will be like moo cow cheddar.

I'm going to make brie tomorrow, really looking forward to that! I have vague memories of what brie tastes like, mostly I hope it is rich & creamy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Let us know how your cheddar comes out--I want to make it again, but am a little hesitant. you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the brie! Im going to make it again this week for Thanksgiving weekend. Going to see if I can get my die hard omni cousin to try it! (will tart it up with cranberries and toasted hazelnuts).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bunniee wrote:
I'm making the basic cashew cheese, and had trouble getting the mixture smooth enough even in my Vitamix. It's kind of gritty but I didn't want to add more rejuvelac and have the cheese end up being too runny. I soaked the cashews for 3 hours, which probably wasn't enough time.
It thickens up a lot, so adding some more liquid may help. Soaking your cashews over night might help things along, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

just made yogurt from coconut milk (i also added some coconut cream in honor of the season) and IT IS SO GOOD! i haven't liked the meltable mozzarella made with yogurts made from almond milk or soymilk, so hopefully the coconut milk yogurt will be a winner.

btw, the parm made with both the almond milk AND the soymilk is a great success!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:43 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

lululuv wrote:
just made yogurt from coconut milk (i also added some coconut cream in honor of the season) and IT IS SO GOOD! i haven't liked the meltable mozzarella made with yogurts made from almond milk or soymilk, so hopefully the coconut milk yogurt will be a winner.

btw, the parm made with both the almond milk AND the soymilk is a great success!

Oh did you just do the recipe the same but switch for coconut milk? I make my own coconut milk (different recipe), but have to add agar for it to get any sort of thickness. Also when you make your yog with almond milk do you use bought stuff, or do you use soaked almonds, or use almond butter and wizz it up like she suggests in the book? Thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I sampled the brie I made this morning, and it's good but still tastes mainly of cashews. I'll let it hang out in the fridge another day or two before eating some. I also tried a bit of the air dried cheddar - it's sharp but doesn't taste quite done yet, if that makes any sense.

So far the soft Gruyere is the stand out winner for me, and one I'll definitely make again. I also made the cheese sauce a few days ago, but only used a half cup of cashews (trying to economize) and added a tablespoon of cornstarch. It's great on vegetables, macaroni, and tortilla chips.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

hi Kiwi,

i pretty much stuck to the recipe (maybe not quite as many cashews as i was a bit low on them) and admittedly it's a bit thin. but since i'm using it to make the mozzarella, i'm hoping it'll thicken up in the cooking phase. i'll post how it goes.

i just used the unsweetened store-bought stuff for the almond milk yogurt - didn't like it at all until i used it for parm and aged it awhile, but then i've never liked almond milk to begin with. on the other hand i like soy milk but not soy yogurt. also, i like the parm made from soy yogurt at least as much as the one from almond milk, so i'm not motivated to work with almond milk (except, it is great for baking, better in my experience than soy milk).

hope that helps and good luck!

Kiwi wrote:
lululuv wrote:

Oh did you just do the recipe the same but switch for coconut milk? I make my own coconut milk (different recipe), but have to add agar for it to get any sort of thickness. Also when you make your yog with almond milk do you use bought stuff, or do you use soaked almonds, or use almond butter and wizz it up like she suggests in the book? Thanks :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 63  Next