| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about water bottles!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Another tap water drinker here!
My klean kanteen has never stunk, but then again I've ONLY ever put water in it, nothing else. I also rinse it with white vinegar every now and again if I remember. No stink!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh, I did have a stinky kleen kanteen at one point. I never figured out why, but I ran it through the dishwasher on super hot and then it was fine.

I'm a tap water drinker. It's good enough here that we don't have to filter it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I drink tap water at my house. But not in my office. Philly water taste horrible to me! We have a Deer Park thingy in the office.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have a safe-t bottle, which seems to be an Australian brand that is pretty similar to the kleen kanteen. Mine is an insulated one with a wide mouth (I had a narrow-mouthed one before, and it was really hard to clean, it eventually got mouldy). I really love it, especially because it keeps my water nice and cold on hot days, or in a hot kitchen. I find that it occasionally starts to get a slightly mildewy smell, maybe because I drink from it whilst eating and it's possible that tiny food particles get in there? Anyway, I always give it a thorough wash, and then let it dry very thoroughly, and that's been pretty successful. I find that the caps are the worst for getting mildewy/mouldy (that was the major problem with my last one), so I'm being very careful to keep the cap on this one clean. It's a lot bigger and easier to clean than the other one I had.

I always drink tap water from it. It's a great water bottle, I really like it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I still love the nalgene wide-mouth bottles because they remind me of so many of my backpacking/backcountry/outdoor adventures. I use a really pretty slim glass bottle while at work and I use this generic sporty bottle with a flip top spout for running workouts or hot yoga.

I have learned I don't really like metal bottles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have a Kleen Kanteen (it's pink) at work that I mostly like but it does make the water taste like metal sometimes. And it leaks, so I leave it at work because it would be a disaster in my bag. I also have a teal Nathan Tritan bottle (BPA free), with a flip straw. I love the thing! It's got a clippy hook on the lid and the straw and straw top cover thing are easily removable so I can get everything clean. It never leaks and it's really light when empty. I also love that I don't have to tip it back to drink from it. I can easily use it at the boxing gym when I have my gloves on!

And I very happily drink tap water. I have this super optimistic (and possibly misguided) belief that it makes me stronger.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, I have no qualms about drinking tap water. It would be different if I lived somewhere with crappy water, but it's fine here (despite some people I work with being super-snobby and complaining about it. . . I've definitely had way worse tap water). Except when I'm visiting my parents' house. . . then I pretty much always drink fancy mineral water because my dad buys it by the case (I kid you not). I mean, my parents really aren't wealthy, my dad just freaking loves mineral water.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We have a remineralizing reverse osmosis filter under the sink that filters our tap water. We got it because our tap water started tasting like sewage, no joke. Previously we just put tap water through a Brita.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I have so many reusable bottles that are in various stages of being lost, broken or annoying. I have a kleen kanteen that I ended up with somehow but the sucky sports bottle top is horrible and the mouth of the bottle is annoying to drink directly from. I have another stainless steel bottle that I got from one of the schools that used to give me co-op kids... I hate that one, the opening is tiny and the body is huge and hard to hold. I also don't seem to like the taste from metal bottles.

I have a variety of plastic bottles of various quality... 3 or 4 anyway. I favourite is probably the huge bright green one I got for free at a trade show and it probably fills me up with loads of chemicals as it's very cheap quality. But I drink copious amounts of water and when I was using that one at work I did not have time to fill up a bottle more than I already did, which was still quite a lot considering the huge size of that thing. I have no idea where it is right now, in some forgotten corner of the kitchen I think. Maybe on top of the fridge behind the tv.

Now that I mostly don't work I hardly use my water bottles anymore since I just drink from cups at work at home. At home I need to use the brita filter since my tap water from home is horrible and my water is from a well and is very hard. At work there's a water filter filter system. At my inlaws' I drink from the tap all the time and I used to fill my bottles from the tap at my old work all the time too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lilyyw wrote:
Yeah, I have no qualms about drinking tap water. It would be different if I lived somewhere with crappy water, but it's fine here (despite some people I work with being super-snobby and complaining about it. . . I've definitely had way worse tap water). Except when I'm visiting my parents' house. . . then I pretty much always drink fancy mineral water because my dad buys it by the case (I kid you not). I mean, my parents really aren't wealthy, my dad just freaking loves mineral water.

Yeah we've got really good water, really actually some of the best. Its actually really hard for them to "clean" the water here because its already so pure, apparently its easier to clean dirtier water!

(sometimes it gets chloriney, but that hasn't happened in a long while...). I'd almost want to blame the pipes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 pm 

I am a water bottle hoarder. I have a few I use on a regular basis, and then I have an archive of Nalgenes that I either only use for backpacking or just can't bear to get rid of because they hold sentimental value (I still have my very first, BPA-laden, and bestickered one).

My favorite right now is a stainless steel one with fancy bamboo on the lid. A close second is a purple camelbak with a built-in filter/straw thingie.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

shanny wrote:
I have a Kleen Kanteen (it's pink).

Me too! Kleen Kanteen twins! I do carry it with me almost everywhere and I love to fill it halfway with ice so it stays nice and cold even though it sweats all over the car. If I remember to push the sport cap all the way down it does not leak, but it does make a funny sound when I drink from it which makes me self conscious in meetings.
Oh well, gotta hydrate!

(I also have a blue KK for my bike that is all scratched up from the holder.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Bottled water in the US is pretty much unregulated, so tap water is generally safer because of regulation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have a red sigg bottle. My ex got it for me for our first x-mas together (5 or 6 years ago) and I've used it SO much since then. It's traveled everywhere I have (15+ countries) and hiked with me (500+ miles) and I use it almost every day. I have a different water cup I keep at my desk at work, but I use my sigg at home. It got a dent in it when I was rock climbing one day and fell on it, but that actually made it better, it's a groove the perfect size for my thumb when I'm holding it!

I don't drink enough water. I try to drink a minimum of 40 oz at work and 20 oz at home. It's definitely more on the days I exercise or drink alcohol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 pm 

brian wrote:
I have a smoky black plastic Camelback 1 liter bottle. It's pretty beat up, and I think it's got a leak in the top now, but I've had it for years. I love it because it's spill-proof, except for the potential leak. It has a built-in straw and a folding bite nozzle, so I can fill it up, put it in my school bag full of books and paperwork, and not worry about it.

Camelbak will replace your leaky top for free! I have a Camelbak Better Bottle which now has a Camelbak Eddy top, as the replacement tops that they send out are a little different than the originals (and so far, better). Make sure you tell them what size bottle you have, as otherwise the straw they send might be too short (and it's a larger diameter straw than the original). I accidentally forgot to tell them that one of our bottles is larger than the other. When I wrote them back about it, they not only sent us a new straw, but another new top, so now we have a spare top.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:26 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

http://shop.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_swb16.asp

best bottle i've owned so far! I love it!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I drink tap water almost everywhere I go (and I have lived in some places with nasty tap water - Orlando comes to mind), but unfortunately the water at my office tastes like sewage. So I drink exclusively from the water cooler there.

Every metal water bottle I've ever bought has started leaking from the top, so I gave up and just bought a cheap plastic bottle from Target. It has a much tighter seal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a Klean Kanteen, with a Built neoprene sleeve. I need to replace the sleeve since it's getting ripped from carrying it around like a security blanket for the last 3 years. The bottle also has a dent in it from dropping it a long time ago. Still works for me though. I use it for water, hot tea, and even a couple of times filled it with a bottle of wine. Always cleaned out well.

I also have a lifefactory, glass one with the silicon sleeve. I like that one too. I've put water and watered down juice in that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have a silver Kleen Kanteen bottle that has a couple of dents but has never leaked unless I didn't tighten the cap enough. I fill it with tap water from my house every morning and bring it with me to work. I actually work for the State agency that enforces drinking water regulations.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ugh, I left my beautiful water bottle on the train and now I have to replace it! Trying to decide whether to get the same one again or just get a cheaper one. I mean, $11 is not that bad, and I don't usually tend to lose things, but, still.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

$11 isn't too bad, as long as you don't lose them monthly or anything. Get the one you like.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

choirqueer wrote:
Ugh, I left my beautiful water bottle on the train...

I left my absolute favorite water bottle somewhere. It's my red sigg I mentioned upthread. I'm going to give it a couple of days to show up and then I'll replace it with an exact replica. Except the new one will be new and won't have the dents, dings, and scrapes that my old one accumulated over 6 years of near daily use and being taken on every trip I've gone on in that time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:41 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I found my sigg! It was in the lost-and-found at the climbing gym. Covered in chalk, but otherwise in fine condition. I was so excited when I found it that the people working there gave me a funny look (they all know me pretty well, so they weren't surprised by my enthusiasm).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i managed to look inside mine today (it was super sunny) and saw all sorts of dark spots inside my steel bottle! i will bleach it tomorrow and see if they go away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:45 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

torque wrote:
i managed to look inside mine today (it was super sunny) and saw all sorts of dark spots inside my steel bottle! i will bleach it tomorrow and see if they go away.

I use denture cleaner for the black mold.

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next