| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am going to an omni Thanksgiving and have been asked to bring a side - I want it to fill the role of a vegetable side dish for the whole group, but be substantial enough to be the main dish for me, my husband, and a couple vegetarians. Ideas?

I'll be bringing a vegan pie also, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:38 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

LisaPunk wrote:
this is probably a silly question but if i buy the Field Roast Hazlenut en croute thing today i can keep that in my freezer for the next two weeks and it will be fine right?

It'll be fine, the ones they put out now in stores are probably the same ones they'll have come Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
I am going to an omni Thanksgiving and have been asked to bring a side - I want it to fill the role of a vegetable side dish for the whole group, but be substantial enough to be the main dish for me, my husband, and a couple vegetarians. Ideas?

I'll be bringing a vegan pie also, of course.

The holiday casserole with chestnuts in the veganomicon is perfect for this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

LisaPunk wrote:
how many people are you folks cooking for that have super long menus?
im kinda drooling over all your food and want to sneak into your celebrations.

I think we're at 5 + me. My boyfriend will be out of town, so it's just family and old-school family friends. I am the only person who is even remotely vegan. Maybe by the end of the night the South Africans will cave and rate the seitan higher than the turkey?!

I love reading everyone's menus! I'm excited to see what Amey comes up with for the SOS people. I get SOS if you do it like 75% of the time, but all the time seems like a HUGE sacrifice unless you have major health problems that make it a necessity. Then again, people say this to me all the time about being vegan...So I let the SOS'ers SOS in peace.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Fee wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
this is probably a silly question but if i buy the Field Roast Hazlenut en croute thing today i can keep that in my freezer for the next two weeks and it will be fine right?

It'll be fine, the ones they put out now in stores are probably the same ones they'll have come Thanksgiving.

i bought one today at WF. it claims to be good for a year in the frig

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm still deciding on the main. I might do sauteed veggies in puff pastry. I'm in love with the sage gravy from vegnews, and I want to make something that goes with that. Then we always have mashed potatoes, maple glazed carrots, simple green beans, a pretty traditional stuffing, cranberry sauce (fresh and canned), and sweet potato pecan casserole. Dessert will be apple pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, and gingerbread cookies.

There will be 5 adults and 4 little kiddos. I always make excessive amounts of food, but that's what Thanksgiving is for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
redhairrising wrote:
Oh! And for desserts, I'd try chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Will they do natural sweeteners like stevia, or brown rice syrup? I know lots of people on this board hate stevia but I bake with it all the time (just use less than the amount of sugar called for because it's so uber sweet) and I've never had anyone notice.

My personal opinion regarding artificial sweeteners such as stevia is that I use them, I'm ok with them but I'd hesitate to use them for other people. People often have reactions to various sweeteners so I'd avoid them. I use pure white sugar if I'm baking for someone else.

I would definitely notice if a dessert was made with stevia or an artificial sweetener. The author of the CCK blog has mentioned that while she likes stevia, her friends have hated some of the things she's made with it.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

happyfaced wrote:
we vary up our menu just a smidge every year, but it kinda stays the same:

walnut crusted tempeh
stuffing-stuffed vidalia onions

These two items interest me and I would like the recipes...pretty please? We're still planning Thanksgiving, and I am contemplating a seitan roast -- maybe. I suspect my kids are going to want to eat meat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm doing thanksgiving for 9 or 10, I'm the only vegan.

apps
lentil & chestnut pate (vcon) with crackers
pickled okra
crudite

mains
cornbread & sausage stuffing w/apple
green bean casserole (fatfreevegan recipe)
corn pudding (vcon)
roasted brussel sprouts
roasted squash (w/maple syrup and eb)
mashed potatoes
mushroom gravy
cranberry sauce (homemade with orange)

dessert
pumpkin pie + rad whip
birthday cake for my dad

My mother in law usually brings turkey for the meat eaters, so I'm not sure whether to do a centerpiece dish or not. Maybe I'll try one of the field roasts? All of the centerpiece dishes I can think of are starchy (like wellingtons and such) and I don't think that's necessary with all the stuffing and potatoes. Does anyone have suggestions for a good seitan roast or other main dish?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm so excited. Once again we're hosting a vegan potluck (year 5 of vegan thanksgiving, holy crepe), and so far 20 dishes have been called out. Going to be ridic.

My partner and I are making:

Kale stuffing from VegNews
Cornmeal crusted seitan cutlets (cross between Veg News and Veganomicon)
Mushroom Gravy
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Cranberry Sauce
Rad Whip

Gonna keep it way simple compared to previous years and let my guests do all the work. ;) Some highlights of dishes folks are bringing include squash rissoto, pot pie, and challah bread w/ beer cheez spread.

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

rainbowbrownie, your potluck sounds phenomenal! I want to crash it. Please tell us everything else that your guests are bringing. I'm getting over full just thinking about 20 vegan dishes for thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think i finished coming up with what im going to make.
as i said before we are going to the inlaws. i am the only veg but it's a very friendly veg household. if my sister in law and her boyfriend come (i dont not think they will be able to make it) then there will be 3 vegs.
so most of this food will be for myself though usually everyone eats the brussel sprout dish.

field roast en croute thingy
pumpkin pie and rad whip from VPITS
roasted brussel sprouts with apples and onions from Vegan Table
punk rock chik pea gravy from VWAV (ive never made it but it seems to be a favorite on everyone's list in this thread)
cranberry sauce (canned, i cant help it i LOVE it)

i also usually pick a cupcake recipe from VCTOTW and make it later in the weekend for everyone.

everything else i will eat my MIL will make and keep me some aside with either no butter, milk, or stuffing otu of the bird.

im a little worried about wrangling the oven with different things that need to go in a different temps at different times and all be ready at once.
the good thing is i will have my own oven to use in the downstairs of my inlaws house. so really it will just be my own fault if i screw it up.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ermagherd! i totally forgot one item.
i was wracking my brain for snacky foods to make and i decided to make the muhammara recipe from Vegan Table.
it will be something new and different and i think fun.
yum!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My little family of three are the only vegans in our group - we go over to my husband's family's house where we eat with about twelve other family members. We pretty much mirror the menu that's being cooked already (his aunt cooks everything for the omnis), so it's not the most exciting menu, but it's traditional and tasty. I'd love to bring something new and exciting, but the few times i have, it's been shunned and laughed at as the weird food. Sad vegan.

This tofu turkey: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tofu-Turkey-I/ (we've been making it every year since we've been together - 11 years! - and it's amazing. I highly recommend it. It comes together a lot easier than it looks.)

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Cornbread and sage stuffing
Glazed carrots
Roasted squash
Peas
VWAV mushroom gravy
Yeast rolls

I make the pies for the family, so at least those are all vegan! We do an apple (I highly recommend the recipe in The Voluptuous Vegan), pumpkin, and squash.

Christmas is our real time to shine. We stay at home, gorge out on pumpkin cinnamon rolls, and cook a ridiculous amount of vegan food just for us. I'm already planning that menu!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Found this recipe for stuffed onions: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/11/ ... ed-onions/ (It's easily veganized) A definite possibility.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So far there is just the two of us, which is a little sad but it will mean more leftovers! Looking over my blogs of years past this is what I'm thinking

For the Main I am either going to do Isa's Seitan Roastor the Gardien Roast
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Miso Glazed Brussels Sprouts
Diner Dressing (Vegan Diner)
Sage Gravy (Vegan Diner)
Cranberry Orange Almond relish (from Wheatsville)
and then either a Chocolate Cream Pie or a Pumpkin Pie for dessert from Capital City. I can't decide which one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:12 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

LazySmurf wrote:
So far there is just the two of us, which is a little sad but it will mean more leftovers! Looking over my blogs of years past this is what I'm thinking

For the Main I am either going to do Isa's Seitan Roastor the Gardien Roast
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Miso Glazed Brussels Sprouts
Diner Dressing (Vegan Diner)
Sage Gravy (Vegan Diner)
Cranberry Orange Almond relish (from Wheatsville)
and then either a Chocolate Cream Pie or a Pumpkin Pie for dessert from Capital City. I can't decide which one.

pumpkin for Thanksgiving and then Chocolate Cream for whatever winter holiday you celebrate or New Years?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'll be laying low for T-day.

My husband goes to his parents house (NOT a vegan friendly environment). For myself, I picked up a Field Roast en croute (best thing ever!) and plan on roasting Brussels sprouts and trying to veganize my mom's corn bread stuffing that we grew up with. My husband hates the smell of Brussels sprouts so I only roast them when he's gone ;-P

My mother-in-law is mean so I quit going to family gatherings a couple years back. Not worth the rise in blood pressure. Very jealous of you folks with kind and understanding families.

May also use the opportunity to go to IKEA and buy a new cheap sofa. Plotting....

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Decided NOT to go to vegas this year, so can devote some time and money to cooking a nice dinner.

Usually I make my own faux turkey (like a seitan roast or something) But I am wondering if maybe I should splurge and buy a field roast en croute. I have never tried it, and everyone seems to love it. Then I could spend some more time on sides and drinking champagne

sigh. It's just me and my omni fiance. He tries to be nice, and never says anything bad, but I know he misses turkey and stuff. It makes it hard for me to get excited about thanksgiving. I refuse to eat with my family after the incident where I found out they had been sneaking meat into my food and I got really sick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LisaPunk wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

pumpkin for Thanksgiving and then Chocolate Cream for whatever winter holiday you celebrate or New Years?

I don't know, we'll be out of town for Xmas. I'm leaning towards both, a pie each?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i see nothing wrong with that.
leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving and you'll have pie for weeks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ameyfm wrote:
i am super excited about thanksgiving, but it looks like we're going to have a pretty small gathering this year. Plus, all the other vegans in my family are all no-salt,no-oil,no-sugar vegans... which is fine but means that it's not really that exciting for me to cook for them. I am unsure how to proceed. Do I make something super special and fancy that I (and the omnis) will love? Or do I make something more simple that the no-sos folks will love and I will find edible? Or do I do it all?? It will probably just come down to my energy level as the date gets closer.

but I love reading all your menus!

The Healthy Librarian blog has this kind of cooking. Here's her holiday post from last year. http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/hap ... recap.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:47 pm 

Chicki wrote:
I refuse to eat with my family after the incident where I found out they had been sneaking meat into my food and I got really sick.

OMG! That's just mean! If we lived closer we could do something fun for T-day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:59 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
The Healthy Librarian blog has this kind of cooking. Here's her holiday post from last year. http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/hap ... recap.html

Those vodka potatoes look awesome. Will have to try that. I'm adding them to my T-day menu.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:26 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I keep it simple for the boyfriend, the cat and I!

-Field Roast
-mashed potatoes & gravy (or maybe twice baked potatoes this year)
-red rice (boyfriend's family tradition)
-dinner rolls or a simple bread
-pumpkin wontons or pastry pouches with coconut whip cream on top!

Simple and easy because it is me who cooks & cleans up the kitchen! :)

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next