| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

snarkyvegan wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
The Healthy Librarian blog has this kind of cooking. Here's her holiday post from last year. http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/hap ... recap.html

Those vodka potatoes look awesome. Will have to try that. I'm adding them to my T-day menu.

Whoa. Those potatoes! must make!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

The only things I ever know for sure are roasted garlic mashed potatoes and the golden gravy from Real Food Daily. Beyond that, maybe the Field Roast en croute thing (so good!), probably a kale salad (travels well and I don't much like reheated green veggies), and something with squash and/or rice. Something fall harvest-y.

I really really need a kickass dessert though, and I have no clue about that. I think the omnis will have apple and pumpkin pie covered, so I want something different but not "omg weird vegan food". I was thinking some kind of chocolate cupcakes with pumpkin filling and ganache and candied pepitas on top.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I might be alone, but I love Thanksgiving leftovers, so I'm still probably going to cook waaaaaaay more than I should...

A TJ roast (though flavabean's tofu turkey sounds amazing and tempting)
caulipots and punk rock chickpea gravy
garlicky kale and mushrooms
creamed onions (family tradition!)
maple carrots
MAYBE pumpkin risotto, unsure
MAYBE sweet potatoes, unsure
biscuits, probably

And then I will eat leftovers most of the way until Christmas and it'll be great.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

DarthCupcake wrote:
I might be alone, but I love Thanksgiving leftovers, so I'm still probably going to cook waaaaaaay more than I should...

It's awesome, but huge! We cut the recipe down in half, and the two of us (plus a toddler) have enough for Thanksgiving and at least two more meals of leftovers. Just a warning!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:55 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LisaPunk wrote:
im pretty lucky for Thanksgiving. we go to my in-laws and they are pretty veg friendly AND the best part is i dont have to listen to stupid cracks about me not eating turkey or whatever all weekend long. people just leave me alone and dont say anything about me not eating turkey.
huzzah!

I'm lucky that way, too - my omni sweetheart's sister makes sure every dish she makes has a vegan base and then she adds in the meats, if any, for the meat-eaters. Well, unless there's a turkey. No vegan base for that. In which case I bring some tofu to marinate and roast - or some chickpea cutlets! They're actually a very accommodating group of omnis - my sweetheart and I have made Hexmess Eve dinner, all vegan, the last two years, and got nothing but rave reviews.

Last year I made a trio of vegan dessert empanadas (persimmon, pumpkin and sweet potato), and those have been requested again! So I'll be making those plus beet buns and rosemary-thyme bread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:32 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

madeleine.teacup wrote:
I'm lucky that way, too - my omni sweetheart's sister makes sure every dish she makes has a vegan base and then she adds in the meats, if any, for the meat-eaters.

Or the dairies or the eggs, &c. She's not tricksy, I'm just spacey and think it's time for bed!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 am 
Chard Martyr

We celebrate (aka FEAST without tradition) on US Thanksgiving because the Canadian one always comes up so quickly, and my boyfriend is American. I'm having a potluck this year (all Canadians except one, so we are eschewing most traditional foods), so it looks like I only need to make my trademark marmite gravy, roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic, roasted curried squash bisque, and some truffles for dessert. I also need to make something with cider because we all work at a cidery and are having an informal cider-cooking contest, so I think I'll do a Caribbean-inspired marinated/grilled tofu with some jerk spices and our rum cider. And maybe some spiced/mashed yams to go with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:40 am 
WRETCHED

I suppose I should plan for this, I had bought a gardein roast. But we might have 6 people total, so may need 2. If 6, it'd be 4 veganish people and 2 omnis (my BIL has a cheese weakness so he fluctuates between vegan and veg but doesn't matter). The omnis (my inlaws) will eat a vegan meal.

Usually, I buy a pie from WFs and just make all the sides. I'll have to put some thought into it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was going to be ultra lazy and order from the cinnamon snail, but my son is allergic to soy and this year they don't have anything completely soy free. I also got to missing the idea of 2nd thanksgiving - the leftovers on Friday haha. So I decided to go with my good old standards after all:

field roast seitan en croute
golden gravy + tofurkey giblet gravy for my partner (for some odd reason he loves it, I think it is yucky)
roasted brussels & carrots
cauliflower mashed potatoes
stuffing
green bean casserole
maple cranberry sauce
pumpkin pie

Like every year, seeing everyone else's fantastic menus makes me want to break out and try something different and fancy, but most like I'll still be lazy and do the usual.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

vijita wrote:
my trademark marmite gravy,

I am intrigued! Can you tell me more? Is it a recipe I can find somewhere or your own, and if your own will you share?
The Caribbean marinated grilled tofu with jerk spices and rum cider served with spiced mashed yams also sounds like an outstandingly spectacular idea.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 pm 
Chard Martyr

I just saute minced onions and garlic in olive oil while I brown a bit of chickpea flour/ touch of nooch in a separate dry skillet. I deglaze the garlic/onions with wine, then add a bit of stock/water/more wine, then whisk in the browned flour. I then add a huge blob of marmite and whisk like crazy, adding pepper and thyme or rosemary to taste. It's usually quite salty and needs a lot more wine/water/stock, but it's all about just tasting it. Sorry I can't be more specific!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

That's plenty specific vijita! I don't need exact measurements or times. Thanks so much; it sounds really good and I am going to have to make some!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Chicki wrote:
Oh yeah, I can't forget my raw cranberry sauce! My brother of all people started a version of this when he was a teenager (not exactly much of a cook) and I have changed it over the years.

It is raw, and pretty tart, but I LOOOOVE it. I am allergic to pineapple and I still make and eat this every year!

1 bag fresh raw cranberries
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/2-3/4 cup raw pineapple
1/2-1 cup sugar (or other sweetener)
Water, if necessary (depends on how smooth you want it, and also how much water is in the cranberries)

Just put in the food processor and chop it up! Chunky or smooth, whatevs.

I always do

1 bag cranberries
1 orange (with peel)
1 cup sugar

! Yours sounds yummy too . . .

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:15 pm 

My husband said he'll make it this year and he never cooks, so hurray!

Tofurky (I love them so much)
Cran/Orange relish
Gravy (V'con mushroom)
Mashed potatoes
stuffing (don't have one picked yet)
Green beans (no specific recipe yet)
pumpkin pie or cheesecake (the VPITS one, of course)

For a week before and after I will drink lots of kombucha and kefir and eat fermented foods and take probiotics. I can't give up Tofurky - I love it too much. Stuffing too! And leftover sandwiches.

DarthCupcake wrote:

caulipots and punk rock chickpea gravy
garlicky kale and mushrooms
creamed onions (family tradition!)
maple carrots
MAYBE pumpkin risotto, unsure
MAYBE sweet potatoes, unsure
biscuits, probably

And then I will eat leftovers most of the way until Christmas and it'll be great.

That is awesome. I would probably do the same thing! Nothing better than a leftover sandwich.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Help! I'm assisting with Thanksgiving dinner at an omni friend's house. So they'll have their whole turkey thing goin' on, but I'm in charge of cooking for the vegetarian folks and the meat-eating, lactose-intolerant folks (i.e. I'll be cooking vegan). My problem is I don't want to just make a bunch of side dishes. But I also don't want to compete with the turkey. I just want to make a kick-asparagus vegan centerpiece that will be central enough for the vegetarians and not too overpowering for the omnis (since they will also be eating turkey).

Any suggestions? I will be cooking in an omni kitchen, so I won't have VW gluten or nooch or some other vegan staples. I would rather not buy some just for the five days I'm there. I will, however, have access to a food processor. Help! And thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:05 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

ok, i am working on my menu. so far i am making homemade yeast bread in my breadmaker (king arhtur recipe), mac and cheeze, cornbread stuffing, and sage gravy from qucik and easy vegan celebrations, massaged kale salad, garlic mashed potatoes, pecan pumpkin pie from party vegan, and isa's seitan roast http://www.theppk.com/2011/11/seitan-ro ... and-leeks/ my question is if anyone has made this roast before, can i make this a few days in advance and leave it in the fridge to bake on thanksgiving? i work overnight the day before t-day and i don't think i can manage making everything if i have to do the roast that day too. thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

sambarfan wrote:
Help! I'm assisting with Thanksgiving dinner at an omni friend's house. So they'll have their whole turkey thing goin' on, but I'm in charge of cooking for the vegetarian folks and the meat-eating, lactose-intolerant folks (i.e. I'll be cooking vegan). My problem is I don't want to just make a bunch of side dishes. But I also don't want to compete with the turkey. I just want to make a kick-asparagus vegan centerpiece that will be central enough for the vegetarians and not too overpowering for the omnis (since they will also be eating turkey).

Any suggestions? I will be cooking in an omni kitchen, so I won't have VW gluten or nooch or some other vegan staples. I would rather not buy some just for the five days I'm there. I will, however, have access to a food processor. Help! And thank you!

I would think that a casserole of some sort would not upstage the omnis' beast and yet still work as a main for the veggies who are dining. Now, WHICH casserole is the question.

You may also be able to make a stuffing, freeze it, then take it frozen and reheat the day of. Sides for the veggie folks would be easy: those vodka potatoes someone posted earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

appifanie wrote:
Chicki wrote:
Oh yeah, I can't forget my raw cranberry sauce! My brother of all people started a version of this when he was a teenager (not exactly much of a cook) and I have changed it over the years.

It is raw, and pretty tart, but I LOOOOVE it. I am allergic to pineapple and I still make and eat this every year!

1 bag fresh raw cranberries
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/2-3/4 cup raw pineapple
1/2-1 cup sugar (or other sweetener)
Water, if necessary (depends on how smooth you want it, and also how much water is in the cranberries)

Just put in the food processor and chop it up! Chunky or smooth, whatevs.

I always do

1 bag cranberries
1 orange (with peel)
1 cup sugar

! Yours sounds yummy too . . .

The raw cranberry/orange mixture is one I do as well but I also throw in chopped pecans. Very nice texture.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Julialegume and I were throwing out ideas yesterday and Ethiopian feast was mentioned on a whim, and it may actually happen!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:59 am 
WRETCHED

We tried out the gardein roast last night. Although both my husband and I prefer Tofurkey, my husband thinks that his parents will like the gardein because it is pretty flavorless. I was thinking about making a gardein and tofurkey roast but my MIL has a small oven. We'll see. It would basically mean me not roasting everything I'd like to roast.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
rainbowbrownie, your potluck sounds phenomenal! I want to crash it. Please tell us everything else that your guests are bringing. I'm getting over full just thinking about 20 vegan dishes for thanksgiving!

Thanks! Yah I'm so excited. This year is more people, some family, a living/dining room that actually has furniture and a better understanding of our kitchen (we had just moved into our place last year). Okay, so the full menu looks something like this:

Field Roast (a friend of mine just loves these, brings one every year)
Cornmeal crusted seitan cutlets
Garlic mashed potatoes
Squash risotto
Roasted brussel sprouts and romanesco
Green bean casserole (my partners mom is using the veganomicon to make it!)
Kale Stuffing
Posole (friend from new mexico always brings some spicy mexican dish, should be great!)
Seitan Pot Pie (a friend that rarely cooks is making even the crust and seitan from scratch!)
Challa bread
Beer Cheez Spread
Mushroom Gravy
Dinner rolls from Sweet Pea
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Chocolate Pie
Pumpkin Bread
Cranberry Sauce
Rad Whip

Gonna be awesome.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 pm 

here's last year's tgiving - this years will be the same-ish.

http://imnotstarving.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -food.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Thank you rainbowwine! Reading the full menu was the next best thing to being there to eat it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:59 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I was just thinking about Thanksgiving dinner and I'm glad there's already a thread going. Guys... I have none of my cookbooks because they are all in transition from Japan because I just PCS'd (moved). All that is certain for me right now is pumpkin pie from scratch. I have the sugar pumpkins in my kitchen just waiting for me. I can wing mashed potatoes obviously, and I think those always go over really well.

Last year I made the seitan roast Isa posted at the last minute, and we really liked it.

Another problem, now that I think of it is we hardly have any cookware or utensils due to the move. I'm working with 2 pans... 1 large and 1 small. No pots, and a few Pyrex casserole dishes and bowls we picked up at the store.

The two cookbooks I brought with me are Vegan Diner and Vegan Brunch. Vegan Diner has several good gravy recipes that I could choose from and a loaf recipe that I have never tried. I think I'm going to keep it simple and do the loaf in that book, and a simple veggie side and maybe an appetizer if I'm feeling fancy.

I don't have much choice! Anyone else dealing with serious limitations or have any suggestions/recipes for me?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I got a fake ham from Whole Foods as well as a gardein turkey, may make both or just the ham. I couldn't decide. That marmite gravy looks amazing, I may make that for mashed potatoes.
The sides will be corn on the cob and green beans, something with sweet potatoes I haven't decided on yet, and crescent rolls. Dessert may be some cupcakes from one of the vegan bakeries in town. I think the drinks will be sparkling apple cider and maybe some hard cider as well. Fall is for cider as far as I am concerned.
There will only be 3 of us, 4 at the most, but I love leftovers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next