| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MEETUP NOTICE - November 15th
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:33 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I think Champs at 7:00PM sounds like a solid plan. But no reservations, hmm? For such a big group, too. Those who have been there, what do you think of that?

Yeah, rachell37, tofulish and I are getting together earlier in the day. T. and I are unavailable between morning and dinner because we are going exploring Brooklyn and plan to meet up with some folks from Ontario. COME, RandiJM! And everyone else!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm in! Yayy excited to meet/see you guys! Tlish you are bringing the baby right? Must! Only thing is I have a 1pm bus back to Philly. :(

I've seen on fachay that the Cinnamon Snail guys are proving themselves even more awesome than we think and doing donation days in Rockaway and NJ areas hurt by Sandy. <3 them. But any ideas for a backup breakfast place in case they continue doing this next week?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 pm 
Semen Strong

The Cinnamon Snail would be awesome, but I think they may be in the Rockaways feeding the Sandy survivors. Those guys are amazing people. So much love.

We can definitely meet you at 10 am and hang out until 1ish. I am going to have Leela with me, so I'm going to play the day by ear. I have her on my back so I can walk anywhere no probs.

I wonder if any PlaygroundPPKers like Sashi and Ada would be up for joining....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:31 am 

Yay! Next Thursday is going to RULE. Two meetups in one day! <3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know! I'm so excited!

Does anyone have a breakfast suggestion if The Cinnamon Snail folks aren't back to their regular schedule? I'm getting bagels and knishes when I get to town on Tuesday, so I'd prefer something else, but I'm sure I'd be able to eat another real NY bagel again if we can't come up with anything else (just please not a raw place, mostly because I don't think I could actually eat anything there).

ETA - I don't know why I just thought of this, but I'd be more than happy to do breakfast at Dun-Well if we can't go to the Snail.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Whoa.

We fly in to JFK at 4pm on the 15th, and I just saw this thread! Fred has band practice as soon as we get in, so I have some time to kill anyway. I'm gonna try really, really hard to meet you guys at Champs. Yay!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:35 pm 
Hip Goiter

Would you rather go somewhere with a more varied menu than just donuts? There's so much to eat in NYC! What about 'snice or Sacred Chow? Orrr well there has to be more I can't think of.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Well, I'll be able to get breakfast food everywhere I go, but I can only get that donuts like that at Dun-Well (of all the cities I'm visiting). I'm gonna go there at some point, so if no one else is keen, it's not a huge deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OK, I had a look through Happy Cow, and I'd be happy with any of the following restaurants: Bliss Cafe (Brooklyn), Harmony Kitchen (Manhattan, near LES), Green Bean Cafe (Upper East Side). Or I could eat pizza for breakfast is there's a pizza place open that early. Or I could do bagels because it looks like I won't have time to get bagels my first day there (*sadface*).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm 
We So Excited

Oooh, I think I can make it too!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:33 pm 
Hip Goiter

I don't want to decide since this is your vacation! But it would probably be easier for me to stay in Manhattan since I have a bus. I've never heard of Green Bean or Harmony Cafe. Crazy! I like the idea of patronizing LES places since they suffered so much.

Also do you guys know about supervegan? You can search for places to eat close to whatever things you might be planning to see. http://supervegan.com/results.php?rq=6

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 pm 

For the AM meetup, we (T. and I) are cool with anywhere in the LES or Brooklyn since we're headed there for the day after the AM meetup anyway.

For the PM meetup, Champs it is! 7:00pm. It seems like there's 12 of us from what I can count, I hope they can accommodate us!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RJM - Thank you so much! Between an 8-hour flight and another 2-3 hours before I'm at my grandma's, I have 30 minutes to get from Penn Station to Grand Central *and* get lunch, so that link is super helpful (apart from a lot of places listed being closed).

Re: breakfast - Are we saying Cinnamon Snail is the first choice if they're doing regular service and are in the Manhattan/Brooklyn area? I definitely won't make it to Yonah Schimmel before then, so I'm up for that if anyone else is. Otherwise, it looks like the consensus is LES (since the only people with location preferences both agreed on it), so I think Harmony Kitchen is the only place that does breakfast/is open that early.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 pm 
Hip Goiter

Sounds good to me! So #1 is Cinnamon Snail, #2 Harmony Kitchen (which looks decent!) or Yonah Schimmel. Ooooh it looks like Harmony Kitchen and Yonah Schimmel are like 2 blocks from each other, so we could eat at Harmony and stock up on knishes after!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 am 
Tofu Pup

I actually can't do dinner anymore either :-( Are people interested in meeting at Cinnamon Snail for b'fast or lunch? I think that the truck had some problems, but they were up and running last week after the storm. Thursday just got crazy on me, so don't change plans on my account, but something might work out with my schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:09 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I don't think it's clear if Cinnamon Snail will be working on a regular schedule later this week, just in case. I've been following them on Facebook, and they've had some truck troubles and such, plus with the relief efforts they're doing, it's not looking good for that. Buuuut, is there another way to contact people if it happens to improve and they go out for a thurs morning service? Looking forward to Thurs night, though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aw man, I wish I could meet up, but I won't be in town 'til 8 o'clock. Just an fyi, though...Champ's is not the greatest for a huge group. The seating is mostly 4-person booths, so you might have to get three separate booths.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:50 pm 

Yes for us to the idea of Yonah Schimmel for breakfast. We had knishes there this morning and we really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Rachel, Paprikapapaya and RJM, when and where are we meeting? I am cool with knishes and then we could go to a park or whatever. I also love Sacred Chow, so am up for that too. Cinnamon Snail is fine but doing service out of Rockaway as their contribution to Sandy relief :). You can donate to help fund their free food through paypal (go to their FB for details).

Leela and I are psyched to meet everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh yay Snail is back at 21st and 5th Ave Flatiron tomorrow!

Is that going to work even if its not LES? We don't have our std train service and are without internet, BUT I can figure out how ton make it. Just need to know where we're going to meet etc. I don't want to come in without a plan, bc I'm juggling a small person and all her stuf....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It says they're in Flatiron for lunch - do you know what time that means? Or should we just say Yonah Schimmel? And what time are we meeting? I'm getting the 7.32 train from Poughkeepsie, so I should be in NYC shortly before 9.30am.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 pm 

Morning would be better for us, we'll (T. and I) need to get started on cramming in the rest of our day as early as we can. Yonah works great for us! Anytime in the AM, whatever works best. 9:30 sounds good, or 10.

And Champs, shall we all just meet inside? I've never been there, so I'm not sure about booths/reservations/etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Awesome! I am going to try and get an 8 am train to be in by 9:18 am. Let's meet at Yonas at 10, so I'm not crazy rushing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Just fyi, to Rachell37, Cinnamon Snail starts service at 11, and they're right by Madison Sq Pk which is a pretty place to eat and has a playground.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

Exciting! I'll see you at 10am at Yonah Schimmel. And then maybe I'll try to hit Cinnamon Snail before I leave.

Laughfrodisiac