| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Has anyone tried either of the all-nut ricottas? I usually make the tofu-cashew ricotta from vcon, but am trying to avoid soy, hoping to find a good alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've made the almond ricotta. I add a touch of miso to it, but otherwise, I think it like it even better than the kinds that include tofu, especially in things like shells.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've made the macadamia one. On it's own, it just tasted like macadamias to me, but in stuff it was great. I used it for ravioli, and for another pasta dish (I just tossed it through shell pasta with some garlic, lemon zest, white wine, tarragon and sautéed zucchini) and it was delicious in both. I really loved the texture- it was a lot lighter than tofu ricotta, which made it much more realistic to me. The price and calories make it a definite 'sometimes food' though!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

jdfunks wrote:
I put my second attempt at the melty mozzarella in a ice water brine today and I have more...mushes vs. the rounds I had last time : (
I'll still see if it's usable but...boo.

I tried only Mozzarella from Miyoko's blog. After 2 mushes I formed the rest in tiny bowls and they looked good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:27 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

How important d'u think is it to use filtered water in the Rejuvelac?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I never used filtered water, no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My partner James has made the camembert and the monterey jack in the last couple of days - both have been INCREDIBLE. INCREDIBLE, INCREDIBLE, INCREDIBLE. Best cheeses, ever. Incredible depth of flavour, incredible texture, soft, melt in your mouth, unlike anything else I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:23 pm 

I made the almond ricotta to use in lasagne last night. It didn't have much flavor, added some garlic and herbs. Great texture though and it worked really well in the lasagne.
I have cashews soaking to try the cream cheese and wheat berries soaking to start rejuvelac!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cgvegan wrote:
How mouldy is too mouldy? We went away for two weeks and the cheddar became white and fluffy! I cut away the whole if the outside and brined it... There isn't a whole lot left but I'd like to keep trying- proof of concept! It was tasting a not of hairspray before we left and hasn't improved... Should I ditch it?

I'm actually a little discouraged on the cheddar front. The initial mixes have been delicious but I didn't like the melty cheddar at all, the sharp cheddar tastes if chemicals (possible contamination?) and the air-dried is ok but not very cheddary... It tastes of cashews to me...

I was conservative about cheese BV (before Vegan) so I may me a difficult customer but I would love to nail the cheddar- should I get back on the horse..?

I'm very happy with the air-dried Parmesan (I have it on all sorts of stuff and it goes wonderfully crispy when cooked (try it on a Shepard's Pie), and the melty mozzarella is pretty good on pizza. Otherwise I'd be throwing in the towel, so talk to me! Should I chuck my cheddar? Should I try again and if so which one?

Reading through this thread, it seems like people still struggle with the cheddars. That's disappointing. Having served a range of cheeses at multiple functions to hundreds of people (vegans and omnivores), the cheddars are always among the favorite. But I've discovered that it is the hardest ones for people to replicate successfully. Recently, I converted an old refrigerator so that it stays around 50 degrees F for aging the cheeses. They dry and age slower but more successfully. This provides a stable environment. I am wondering if the range of success/failure for some of the cheeses (cracks, molding, funny flavors) has to do with differences in ambient temperature, much more so than I had originally thought. Another thought is to get a large plastic container and put your cheese in there with a wet wad of paper towels next to it to provide a bit of humidity. Put a lid on it and put it in the warmest spot in your fridge. Age it there instead of on your counter -- it will take twice as long due to the lower temperature. But it will possibly ward off mold, cracking, and other issues. AI need to write a sequel!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for this- I'll give that a try. Do you think the air dried is the one to try then..?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm 
Tofu Pup

I was having trouble finding a soy-free miso and couldn't make so many of the recipes, but then found a chickpea miso by Miso Master Organics. It's a sweet miso, so it's very mild and has worked really well in my cheeses. I've also not had much success with rejuvelac, so I've just substituted home-made cashew yogurt and that's worked really well too. I'm sure the taste is different than the original, but still delicious. This week I made the air-dried cheddar and air-dried gouda. I was aging them in my fridge, but it was so cold out last night that I just I left them out overnight. This morning there were puddles of oil on my table. It was 65 degrees, so I know it wasn't too warm for the cheeses. Is is normal for the cheeses to drip oil as they age and dry? They also cracked quite a bit, but seems like everyone has had this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:23 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

gimmedanegatives wrote:
I was having trouble finding a soy-free miso and couldn't make so many of the recipes, but then found a chickpea miso by Miso Master Organics. It's a sweet miso, so it's very mild and has worked really well in my cheeses. I've also not had much success with rejuvelac, so I've just substituted home-made cashew yogurt and that's worked really well too. I'm sure the taste is different than the original, but still delicious. This week I made the air-dried cheddar and air-dried gouda. I was aging them in my fridge, but it was so cold out last night that I just I left them out overnight. This morning there were puddles of oil on my table. It was 65 degrees, so I know it wasn't too warm for the cheeses. Is is normal for the cheeses to drip oil as they age and dry? They also cracked quite a bit, but seems like everyone has had this issue.

I wish I were a chemist! The cheeses have never dripped oil for me even as they age and dry. Oil separation occurs when the cheeses are cooked too long. Carrageenan sets at around 140 degrees, so the cheeses need to be cooked only long enough for them to get shiny (to make sure the tapioca has cooked). If it's overcooked, it can leak oil.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm 

Hi Miyoko - we've never had issues with mold, cracking, etc, but we've had issues with the oil dripping - it's tough to cook it long enough to cook the starch out, but not to make it separate it. But that will come with techniques and time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:04 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

the meltable mozzarella i made with my home-made coconut yogurt was a success! i didn't like the one the taste of the one i made out of the soy yogurt, though the texture and meltableness was good. but this - this is divine! the taste! the texture! i'm going to make pizza!

lululuv wrote:
hi Kiwi,

i pretty much stuck to the recipe (maybe not quite as many cashews as i was a bit low on them) and admittedly it's a bit thin. but since i'm using it to make the mozzarella, i'm hoping it'll thicken up in the cooking phase. i'll post how it goes.

i just used the unsweetened store-bought stuff for the almond milk yogurt - didn't like it at all until i used it for parm and aged it awhile, but then i've never liked almond milk to begin with. on the other hand i like soy milk but not soy yogurt. also, i like the parm made from soy yogurt at least as much as the one from almond milk, so i'm not motivated to work with almond milk (except, it is great for baking, better in my experience than soy milk).

hope that helps and good luck!

Kiwi wrote:
lululuv wrote:
just made yogurt from coconut milk (i also added some coconut cream in honor of the season) and IT IS SO GOOD! i haven't liked the meltable mozzarella made with yogurts made from almond milk or soymilk, so hopefully the coconut milk yogurt will be a winner.

btw, the parm made with both the almond milk AND the soymilk is a great success!

Oh did you just do the recipe the same but switch for coconut milk? I make my own coconut milk (different recipe), but have to add agar for it to get any sort of thickness. Also when you make your yog with almond milk do you use bought stuff, or do you use soaked almonds, or use almond butter and wizz it up like she suggests in the book? Thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:14 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

lululuv wrote:
the meltable mozzarella i made with my home-made coconut yogurt was a success! i didn't like the one the taste of the one i made out of the soy yogurt, though the texture and meltableness was good. but this - this is divine! the taste! the texture! i'm going to make pizza!

Oh wow! exciting, i think i will have to give that a go!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone made the brie and the camembert yet?? If so, would you say that the cam is more or less buttery than the brie? I made the brie from the VegNews issue and loved it. I am wanting to make the camembert too, but was wondering if its as rich as the brie.

Im working on a vegan version of La Tur (a triple cream w/ a mousse like texture) as well as a white stilton w/candied lemon or ginger...I need a really buttery tasting cheese as a base. Any info?

Thanks!

D.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 am 

We have made the cam, Daphne, and it is incredibly buttery, rich, melt-in-your mouth, soft, amazing. It's very, very rich.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

very nice. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:07 pm 

My cream cheese has been culturing for 24 hours now and I don't detect anything different in the way it tasted yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow.
Has anyone made the cream cheese? I used storebought coconut yogurt as I haven't yet made any.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I am prepping. I ordered kappa carrageenan, the book, and powdered agar agar. Anyone want to tip me off if there are any other unusual ingredients I am going to need for the pub cheese? I think I am going to start with that one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

kasiakoz wrote:
My cream cheese has been culturing for 24 hours now and I don't detect anything different in the way it tasted yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow.
Has anyone made the cream cheese? I used storebought coconut yogurt as I haven't yet made any.

There are a number of bloggers who have made it. Here's an interesting one you might want to check out. http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_vegan_ ... heese.html
You are having the same experience as her - not much change in the first 24 hours. At this time of year, it might take 48 -72 hours before you experience that change. And then all of a sudden, it's cream cheese. Patience, my dear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've recently learned something that could be very significant for people who have had issues with mold. This tip will be included in the 3rd printing, which is happening now. In doing more research on cheese (of the dairy kind), I have learned that IODIZED SALT can kill lactic acid and destroy the culturing process, leading to mold and unwanted bacteria. Therefore, do not use iodized salt, either for the cheese itself or for salting. I use Celtic sea salt, but Kosher salt, or plain table salt without iodine is fine. I have also been having great success using an old refrigerator that maintains a temperature of 50 degrees. I think this is the main issue - my kitchen in NorCal is very cool, and thus the air-dried cheeses have time to mature, ripen, and dry out. Try to find the coolest place possible in air-drying, and your air-dried cheeses will be great (especially as the weeks go by).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Miyoko,

Thank you for all your information and continued watching of this thread. I am very excited to finally have my first batch of rejuvelac going right now....I was looking through the recipes and noticed that the brie calls for one pound of cashew cheese. Does the recipe of cashew cheese make one pound or do I need to make more than one batch of the cashew cheese to equal a pound?

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

she2dancer wrote:
Miyoko,

Thank you for all your information and continued watching of this thread. I am very excited to finally have my first batch of rejuvelac going right now....I was looking through the recipes and noticed that the brie calls for one pound of cashew cheese. Does the recipe of cashew cheese make one pound or do I need to make more than one batch of the cashew cheese to equal a pound?

thanks!

It makes 1 pound.

BTW, I check the thread every couple of weeks when I get a notification of a post (not sure why I only get them every once in awhile). Actually, the thread has been very helpful for me in pinpointing what areas people are struggling with. Each reprint of the book will have some simple updates that will make the cheesemaking process easier for folks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 62  Next