| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: US elections - 2012
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:12 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Vantine wrote:
Don't make me kick your butt, Mumbles. Florida's ballot was completely insane this year. The legislature put through 11 amendments. At 1am, people in Miami-Dade (heavily Democratic) were still voting. Even if you knew exactly what you wanted to do, it was a 10-15 minute process to vote. My understanding is that they are still counting the mail-in ballots. They have to verify that the voter was registered & that they did not vote in person.

There were record numbers of mail-in ballots because the legislature (sense a theme?) decided to cut back on early voting. (Early voting in very popular.) There is also a law limiting the number of early voting sites. In my county, the most densely populated county in the state, there were three sites. The governor refused to add extra days when the lines grew to be several hours long. The solution for many people was to go to their supervisor of elections office, ask for a mail ballot, fill it in on the spot, and turn it in immediately.

Oh, our chief of elections is a former lobbyist for the beer industry because that makes you an expert in election law.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/n ... 260762.ece
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editori ... nt/1260463

Man. That sounds kind of...disorganized?

Ow, my butt!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't know why the video code isn't working for me, so here's a URL instead. Rachel Maddow on the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SVwXA7sHUlE

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mumbles wrote:
Vantine wrote:
Don't make me kick your butt, Mumbles. Florida's ballot was completely insane this year. The legislature put through 11 amendments. At 1am, people in Miami-Dade (heavily Democratic) were still voting. Even if you knew exactly what you wanted to do, it was a 10-15 minute process to vote. My understanding is that they are still counting the mail-in ballots. They have to verify that the voter was registered & that they did not vote in person.

There were record numbers of mail-in ballots because the legislature (sense a theme?) decided to cut back on early voting. (Early voting in very popular.) There is also a law limiting the number of early voting sites. In my county, the most densely populated county in the state, there were three sites. The governor refused to add extra days when the lines grew to be several hours long. The solution for many people was to go to their supervisor of elections office, ask for a mail ballot, fill it in on the spot, and turn it in immediately.

Oh, our chief of elections is a former lobbyist for the beer industry because that makes you an expert in election law.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/n ... 260762.ece
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editori ... nt/1260463

Man. That sounds kind of...disorganized?

Ow, my butt!

Mumbles has to sit in the corner because he's been a naughty, naughty boy.

Plus, all of the above are Republicans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

Washington's gubernatorial race is finally called. The Republican candidate made his concession call this afternoon. Washington hasn't elected a Republican governor since 1980, but I really didn't think anyone had much of a chance of beating Rob McKenna. Guess I was wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Vantine wrote:
Plus, all of the above are Republicans.

That's not fair. Republicans wouldn't have to resort to this if Democrats weren't so good at tricking people into voting for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

alden wrote:
I don't know why the video code isn't working for me, so here's a URL instead. Rachel Maddow on the election.

I <3 Rachel Maddow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:21 am 
Semen Strong

I can't believe that the week that the GOP loses the presidential election, which was rife with voter suppression issues and racism, SCOTUS agrees to hear a challenge to the Voting Rights Act.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

alden wrote:

https needs to be http
you need to remvoe the string feature=player_embedded&

Like so:

Code:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVwXA7sHUlE[/youtube]

Gets you this

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:18 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

beforewisdom wrote:
alden wrote:

https needs to be http
you need to remvoe the string feature=player_embedded&

Like so:

Code:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVwXA7sHUlE[/youtube]

Gets you this

thanks, I was seriously struggling with that one haha.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think laughing at bright orange bad spray tans is fair game. That's not body snarking--that is questioning his dubious judgement. Just like when Kerry tried to cover one up with a wind surfing photo op. But, I'm a bisque.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Whoa! If you go to Romney's Facebook page and refresh after a few seconds, you can watch him lose likes. The opposite is true of Obama.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:57 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Jigglypuff wrote:
Whoa! If you go to Romney's Facebook page and refresh after a few seconds, you can watch him lose likes. The opposite is true of Obama.

that's just weird. he's not a different politician than he was a week ago. are people, like, embarrassed to be seen with him now that he's lost?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

acr wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

that's just weird. he's not a different politician than he was a week ago. are people, like, embarrassed to be seen with him now that he's lost?

Well, some of his "supporters" said awful things about him during the primaries, especially about his Mormonism. So, now they are back to their original positions. I've seen this a lot from the Tea Party and hard core religious voters. Many of them are pointing fingers now saying that if a true conservative had been nominated, Obama wouldn't have run.

Heck, this was even true of Santorum, because he is Catholic.

Basically, the GOP is two distinct halves that hate each other but air kiss and shake hands in public.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey, Mumbly! Lookie:
And ... it's official: Barack Obama wins Florida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:51 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

aw, come on, let's not kick him while he's down. maybe if we're nice, his heart will grow three sizes and he'll donate his christmas dividends to the dnc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

monkeytoes wrote:
With 78% of the ballots counted, Ref 74's lead is now insurmountable! Washington joins Maine and Maryland as the first states to grant marriage equality at the ballot box! Whee!! Let the weddings begin!

This has affected me emotionally much more strongly than I thought it would. The other night, darling girl said to me, "More and more people are accepting us," and I started bawling like a baby. I always said I don't care what people think and we don't need anybody's approval, and that's true, but ... it sure feels nice. Kind of overwhelming.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Pyewacket wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
With 78% of the ballots counted, Ref 74's lead is now insurmountable! Washington joins Maine and Maryland as the first states to grant marriage equality at the ballot box! Whee!! Let the weddings begin!

This has affected me emotionally much more strongly than I thought it would. The other night, darling girl said to me, "More and more people are accepting us," and I started bawling like a baby. I always said I don't care what people think and we don't need anybody's approval, and that's true, but ... it sure feels nice. Kind of overwhelming.

I know what you mean. I have issues with the emphasis on marriage equality because there are so many other issues affecting queer people, but shiitake, I get so emotional about it too! When Obama specifically mentioned gay people in his victory speech, I was in a bar and I almost cried and said to the two friends I was with (both also queer), THE PRESIDENT JUST MENTIONED US. LIKE WE'RE PART OF AMERICA. shiitake is just changing so fast all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:33 pm 
Semen Strong

strawberryrock wrote:
When Obama specifically mentioned gay people in his victory speech, I was in a bar and I almost cried and said to the two friends I was with (both also queer), THE PRESIDENT JUST MENTIONED US. LIKE WE'RE PART OF AMERICA. shiitake is just changing so fast all the time.

Wow, that really brought home to me how hard it is to be marginalized. ::tearing up:: I hope that we can keep the attention and focus on moving this country to being more accepting and tolerant and transparent.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
When Obama specifically mentioned gay people in his victory speech, I was in a bar and I almost cried and said to the two friends I was with (both also queer), THE PRESIDENT JUST MENTIONED US. LIKE WE'RE PART OF AMERICA. shiitake is just changing so fast all the time.

::tearing up::

Totally. I feel like the ball is rolling now and things are changing. Of course there will be setbacks but thinking of how much has changed since I was a teenager, in this country and within my own life, it gives me hope - which is lot considering my usual pessimism about the human species.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

strawberryrock wrote:
I know what you mean. I have issues with the emphasis on marriage equality because there are so many other issues affecting queer people, but shiitake, I get so emotional about it too! When Obama specifically mentioned gay people in his victory speech, I was in a bar and I almost cried and said to the two friends I was with (both also queer), THE PRESIDENT JUST MENTIONED US. LIKE WE'RE PART OF AMERICA. shiitake is just changing so fast all the time.

Aw, you gave me cold chills! I have a tendency to tear up about marriage equality, too...which is funny because I'm totally not a romantic by any stretch of the imagination. I know there are so many issues out there, but my hope is that once that one is worked out, others will begin to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

strawberryrock wrote:

I heard that speech and went, "OH HELLS YEAH!" Earlier in the year, when the President and Vice President came out in favor of marriage equality, I was stunned. These guys are savvy politicians. They're on top of the polls, and they know how to read the electorate. I knew the demographics were shifting in our favor, but for them to voice unequivocal support in an election year meant that the demographics had shifted enough that it was now politically safe to do so. VERY kewl.

As far as the importance of marriage equality as an issue, I guess you don't get to pick where the battle lines will be drawn. It seems to be the front line in the civil rights war. That's where the enemy camp positioned their troops, so that's where we have to break through. Putting them to rout there may not end the war, but it will be a decisive defeat for them, and one they will never recover from.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Vantine wrote:

Sure, but have you seen the latest number from Rasmussen?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Did you guys see that Mitt ended up with 47% of the vote?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

acr wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

So weird story: My neighbors (who are first generation immigrants -- relevant here because maybe that colors their perception of the electoral process) had Romney/Ryan signs up for a couple of weeks, maybe, before the election. When I went for a run the day after the election, I noticed they had an Onama sign.

I thought that probably said something ........ Interesting? about a US elections. Not sure what, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

LazySmurf wrote:
Did you guys see that Mitt ended up with 47% of the vote?

did he really?!?!?!??! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

people around me still have their stoopid policitical signs up. both winners and losers. take that shiitake down!
it's all for the senate too. it's like people wont let this one die.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next