| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can second hand pierced earrings be safe?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Erinnerung wrote:
My lobes are stretched and I've given my old plugs to friends when I upsize and have never thought it was weird. But for some reason the idea of secondhand 'normal' earrings kind of grosses me out. This makes no sense!

This. I've bought and sold old plugs before, it's generally understood that you shouldn't trade things that can't be properly sterilized, like porous materials and I think acrylic (but acrylic is so cheap there's no need to buy it second hand). And it's not so much a blood issue as it is dead skin tissue, anyone with plugs knows about the joys of ear cheese. Someone sent me a pair of plugs without cleaning them first and I put them on blast in the trading community because that is NOT cool, even though I always clean plugs I trade no matter what they look like, because that is forking gross.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

smoothie wrote:
that would also be a very very unlikely scenario, as HIV virus only stays alive for about 60 seconds in contact with air.

Yep. That is why it's fine to reuse surgical instruments or needles from HIV-infected individuals, as long as you air dry for 60 seconds.

Oh wait. That's not true at all. Others have posted links to authoritative sources on how to properly clean items to inactivate HIV.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Beanitarian wrote:
smoothie wrote:
that would also be a very very unlikely scenario, as HIV virus only stays alive for about 60 seconds in contact with air.

Yep. That is why it's fine to reuse surgical instruments or needles from HIV-infected individuals, as long as you air dry for 60 seconds.

Oh wait. That's not true at all. Others have posted links to authoritative sources on how to properly clean items to inactivate HIV.

So do you have some references for the existence of HIV transmission through second hand earrings then?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My piercing shop will autoclave anything for me for free (they charge a small fee to people less awesome than me lol) but they will only put items of specific quality (I can't remember exactly, but low quality stuff wouldn't survive)... I have multiple piercings and a ton of jewelry, they way I clean it is antibiotic denture cleaner. There is a little tub that I put the jewelry in with warm water and drop in a little blue tablet that effervesces and after 15 minutes they are sanitized. I have had plugs fall into all sorts of nastiness and just put them in the tub and they were fine. But when my friends dog ate a pair and I got them back the next day I had them autoclaved, lol. I have worked in the emergency services industry so I am very wary of bodily fluids. But that certainly doesn't mean everyone should be as paranoid as me. The short version of this would be if it is high quality jewelry (gold/silver and precious stones) you can have it autoclaved, it its costume jewelry/handmade then any sanitizing cleaner will work, whatever you are comfortable with, just make sure you don't use cleaner that will ruin the jewelry....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Veg_Eric wrote:
Rowan wrote:
There's never been a reported case of HIV from a cold needle....I'm going to guess the same is true for earrings.

What's a cold needel? (assuming it is not a reference to temperature)

I think I've read about Hepatitis C transmitted through sterilized hospital equipment....and because I am not a doctor or trained in the medical field in any way, I'd say that if you want to be sure you should at least boil earrings or piercings in water for a while if you want to be sure that it is free from contamination.

A needle that hasn't been used recently. The jury is out about how long that is, and I've heard as short as 30 seconds to as long as 30 minutes. So if you're sharing equipment with someone and they inject first and then you inject shortly after that's when it spreads.

Needles should obviously never be shared- and hepatitis lasts a whole lot longer. However, I want to ensure folks know that HIV infected folks aren't spreading the virus through things like second hand earrings.

Personally, I have second hand earrings and just wiped 'em off and put them in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

smoothie wrote:
also, i am definitely in the "don't worry too much about it". i've never even considered that used earrings could be dangerous. if the holes are well healed, there will be no blood contact, and thus, no way of you getting infected.

You'd have no way of knowing if the holes were well healed if you bought 2nd hand. Sometimes I'd go a bit without wearing any and then just jam a pair in and there would be blood occasionally.

eta: i dont donate my jewellry though

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have nothing to contribute to this thread except to say that this is awesome!

SpiceMiner wrote:
Everyone knows there is only one way to really get them clean...

You must take them into the mountains, all the way to the Kri'stak Volcano. Thrust them into the river of molten rock, which pours from the summit. Then as they began to burn, plunge them into the lake of Lusor and twist them into a sword... err, I mean, wear them confidently! Knowing that they are completely sterile....

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Why wouldn't alcohol be enough? And.....couldn't someone have tried on new earrings at a store or returned them? I don't generally buy expensive jewelery and I'm pretty sure people try stuff on in stores sometimes. Wouldn't that carry the same risk?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

There IS no risk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I probably wouldn't even think about cleaning them. I'd just pop them straight in. I'm not really understanding why earrings are so different from any other second hand
jewellry?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

duh, read the thread - they're the number one AIDS transmitter in the world. Bats are #2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have my bats autoclaved, and I never leave them at room temperature.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Bats will be fine as long as you let them rest for 30 seconds between injections.