| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: crispy waffles!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I seem to have trouble getting a crisp outside on vegan waffles. I think it's because we have a shitty cheap waffle iron. It takes like 7-8 minutes to cook a waffle, and it's still not crispy. My husband, however, thinks it's because they don't contain eggs.

Are your vegan waffles crispy? Do I need a less shitty waffle iron?

Post subject: Re: crispy waffles!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 am 
Semen Strong

Ours are crispy and we use the Oatmeal banana raisin recipe from Vwav. I would assume its your waffle iron (maybe you need to oil it more?), but maybe try that recipe and see if it helps?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i made vegan waffles with my mom the last time i visited my parents, and they were crispy and good enough that my dad ate seconds (he looks at all vegan food with a narrowed, skeptical eye). i just found some random recipe on the internet; it wasn't very different from a standard pancake-batter recipe. your iron needs to get really super hot; maybe you aren't letting it warm up enough? or, if it's electric, it just might not be working very well anymore. but i really doubt that it's an egglessness problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Ours are crispy and we use the Oatmeal banana raisin recipe from Vwav. I would assume its your waffle iron (maybe you need to oil it more?), but maybe try that recipe and see if it helps?

I'll try that one next. I've made most of the waffles from Vegan Brunch, and the peanut butter ones are the only ones that even get close to crispy, but they're also the driest ones.

acr wrote:
i made vegan waffles with my mom the last time i visited my parents, and they were crispy and good enough that my dad ate seconds (he looks at all vegan food with a narrowed, skeptical eye). i just found some random recipe on the internet; it wasn't very different from a standard pancake-batter recipe. your iron needs to get really super hot; maybe you aren't letting it warm up enough? or, if it's electric, it just might not be working very well anymore. but i really doubt that it's an egglessness problem.

I feel like I'm letting it adequately preheat. I turn it on before I start the recipe, and the preheat light turns on, so I guess it should be hot enough?

It's kind of always sucked though. I think it's just a cheap piece of crepe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The raised waffles from vegan brunch get really crispy - I think it has to do with the amount of oil (they have a fair amount). You can try leaving them in for longer, at a lower setting if you can adjust the temperature. Or, you can try baking them in the oven for a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We have been putting them in the toaster oven after cooking them, but I want my waffle iron to do its job!

Soooo let's move this thread in another direction. Waffle iron recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have a Waring Pro Double Belgian Waffle Maker and it totally makes crispy waffles. I love it! Then again, not every recipe makes for crispy waffles...But my two favorite crispies are the chelsea and raised from VB. There's also a single waffle maker in the same brand/model for a little cheaper, but I like being able to make two at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Garrick wrote:
I have a Waring Pro Double Belgian Waffle Maker and it totally makes crispy waffles. I love it! Then again, not every recipe makes for crispy waffles...But my two favorite crispies are the chelsea and raised from VB. There's also a single waffle maker in the same brand/model for a little cheaper, but I like being able to make two at a time.

That looks hardcore! I think mine was probably a quarter that price, which may be why it sucks. Good thing it's almost exmas.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Um, that is an amazing waffle iron.

I have this one and the waffles turn out great. http://www.amazon.com/Oster-3874-Nonsti ... B0012S8OWA

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

I use these Nordic ware stove top waffle irons for just that reason: I could never find one outside the restaurant that I could adequately control the crust texture.