| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Went to a Halloween party on Sunday afternoon, and there was a plethora of vegan candy. Skittles, twizzlers, laffy taffy, bunch of stuff.

Don't think it was on purpose, but still awesome.

Oh, the hostess did set aside a special dish for me (it was indian and polish catered food) that was vegan. A nice chickpea masala. Definitely on purpose, and definitely awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love the way my next door neighbour is so interested in what I eat. It's not the "OH MY GAAAAAAAWD, WHAT DOOOO YOU EAT?" but genuine interest. She nearly always asks me what I am cooking for the week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Cheap food! My fiance and I usually spend, at most, £20 a week on food. We buy in bulk once every few months...big bags of pasta, rice, etc, other than that, everything is so cheap! Since we don't do meat subs or anything anyway... we mostly make food from beans and veg etc. Now if we were buying cheese..that'd be much more expensive. If we were buying meat too, well, that'd be an aaawful lot more expensive! Tomorrows dinner costs 48p each...and it's a filling wintery soup!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Awareness!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

When I'm travelling, especially where I don't speak the local language, I always seek out the local vegetarian/vegan restaurants, which are invariably outside of the beaten tourist path. I tend to find interesting things to do and see once I'm in those neighborhoods, and I usually end up seeing much more of a city or place than I would have otherwise. In recent memory, this has led me to some of the most fun experiences I had in Tokyo, Singapore, Montreal, Italy, Paris, and plenty of other places.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I know this has been said a million times over but the POOPS. Sometimes I stop and think how grateful I am for them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The dramatic decrease in asthma attacks. It's over a month since I have had to use my reliever medication. Not bad considering I used to have about 4 attacks a week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I don't need as much sleep anymore. I used to be useless without eight hours of sleep, but now I'm fine with six.

Unless I'm drunk. Then I still need eight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Avocatom wrote:
I don't need as much sleep anymore. I used to be useless without eight hours of sleep, but now I'm fine with six.

Unless I'm drunk. Then I still need eight.

Interesting! I still get like 10 most nights.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I took a batch of the VWAV pumpkin muffins (in mini muffin form) to a work meeting, and a.) my pumpkin-resistent coworker loved them, b.) another coworker said it was better than any of the baked goods our store (coffee shop) sells, and c.) someone else said, "Your veganism has earned my respect!"

The only other person who brought food to this work meeting brought an awesome tomato rice soup in a crock pot. Said she wanted to make sure there was something everyone could eat.

So I guess my pet awesomes are impressing people with vegan food, and people who impress us with vegan food.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I was last-minute invited to a pie party on Saturday night and whipped up one from VPITS. At the party I was randomly talking to someone who I noticed had been there for a while but not eaten any pie. She said, "Well, I'm vegan..." and that was the first time I've ever met another vegan randomly like that. That was the awesome part - then there was a not awesome part when she told me she didn't like chocolate! It was a chocolate pie. But she tried it anyway because she was excited to meet me too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made a big dinner for a bunch of omni friends this weekend. Everything turned out awesome and people raved. At the end of the meal one guy (who had commented a few times on how tasty things were) made some light joke about vegetarians and I said, "um, you do realize that everything you just ate was vegan, right?" The look on his face was PRICELESS, in an awesome "holy crepe I didn't realize vegan food could taste this good!" way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

People being super impressed with my cooking. "Wow! This is VEGAN???"

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I thought this thread was about "vegan pet" awesomes and my pets are not vegan so I hadn't come in.

1. I cook so much more and more interesting food now!
2. Indian buffet!
3. I have eaten so many new and delicious vegetables!
4. It turns out I was lactose intolerant all that time and now my digestion is fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Had an advertiser take me to lunch today (one of the very few perks of my job) and it came up that I was vegan. Well, when I have to modify my order for egg-free pasta, no meat, no cheese, it is pretty obvious.

She was quite the foodie, and her husband is a really good home chef. We had a great lunch talking about food. There was no tone of judgement, or 'oops sorry I ordered fish', or 'you need more protien' or any of the things that come up as a 'vegan pet peeve'. We just talked about FOOD and COOKING. All kinds. Meat, veg, etc.

Like, I am cool to talk about food. I don't mind discussing any kind of food. I hate it when people assume the worst of vegans, think it is always ethical. Sometimes it is just food you know?

It was a nice lunch :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

GymClassZero wrote:
I know this has been said a million times over but the POOPS. Sometimes I stop and think how grateful I am for them.

This! If I go at home (where I don't have to disinfect the seat or layer toilet paper on it; I'm just easily disgusted, I know it's hard to catch something from a toilet seat) it takes 1 minute, including wiping and washing hands. 1 minute. I have more time for important things in life. On the down-side, I never get to experience the joy of reading on the toilet...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Not having to wash two cutting boards! Or have to worry about getting salmonella all over the place. And I definitely eat better than all my omnivore friends. And not just in taste, but in variety. Before I went vegan I would eat those microwavable meals like 4 nights out of the week. If I was feeling adventurous I'd make something out of a box. Or put an animal on the grill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Maybe TMI but... the vegan guys I have slept with taste and smell so much better (vs. boys that are omni). It's incredible.

EDIT: spelling correction

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The PPK.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

I feel better. I smell better. My tummy doesn't hurt all the time. I don't spend long, anguished moments deciding whether or not to eat the nutritionally empty treats a coworker brought in; I just know I can't eat them and that's that. I don't spend even more anguished moments wondering what kind of tortured life my dinner led. If I don't feel like cooking I can often just select something to eat raw and it won't kill me. Dishes are, yes, much easier to wash. I no longer feel compelled to wander down every aisle in the grocery store (not having to fight my way through the crowd in the dairy aisle is reason enough to be vegan...).

And the people in my life have almost all been super supportive. My coworkers ask me, with genuine interest, about what I'm eating. My family is devoting conversation to making sure there will be plenty of yummy stuff for me to eat at Thanksgiving. My room mate and I are having a potluck next weekend and at least a few friends are planning to bring things that I can eat. It's very nice.

But the food-stuck-in-teeth thing? I kind of feel like I've always got kale between my teeth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm probably the opposite to some people but I'm loving the decrease in pooping. Because of my lactose intolerance I was going up to 6 times a day. Now I go once maybe twice. It is fantastic. I can go places without having to worry about where the nearest toilet is and will there be toilet roll or stinking out a place.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:29 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

My spice rack is ridiculously well stocked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I cook all the time now & am a lot more confident in my cooking.
My tummy is mostly better, especially without dairy. More regular & less painful poops as well.
I don't feel as guilty and conflicted about the food I eat (just the amount).
Eating out is actually easier because now I just think about what is vegan rather than the calories, fat, etc.
I've gained weight but I feel better about myself than I did before and am more confident in my choices.
Most of my friends and family are pretty supportive and curious in a good way about it. I used to get flak from where I used to work about it but now that I don't work there it's almost all positive (not that I even mention it much).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Opening my friends' and my partner's minds to rad vegan food continues to be the most fun ever; I love the "whaaa? this is vegan?!" face. So priceless.
I fell deep in love with preparing homecooked meals. Cooking rules so much.
My energy levels are way higher, I feel more clear-headed and I find it waaay easier to cope with my lame health probs, which is beyond awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

something awesome happened over the weekend...went to a friends house to watch an MMA fight and see a new baby (yay! so cute). They come over often, and I usually make food. The dad is the cook of the family, and he said he wanted to make an animal free meal so I could eat.

This is a mexican family, and the idea of not having meat in meal was so odd to them, but man, those were some AWESOME potato tacos, cilantro rice, guac and beans! It was very sweet of them to do that. Especially since my food experiences with family and some friends has been less than steller. Well horrible to be honest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next