| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 220  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
molly wrote:
I'm reading Shadows by Ilsa Bick, the second in the Ashes trilogy.

Do you like that series? I've read mixed things. Also, did you end up enjoying Code Name Verity?

I loved Code Name Verity, although I thought it took a bit to get into. I am so used to my YA fiction being based around teen romance that I wasn't sure it was going to work for me at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I liked the first Ilsa Bicks book but not the second, so much. I've read a lot of reviews that say it suffers from middle-book-of-trilogy syndrome, where the writer is trying to bring together a lot of different things, which I guess is true. But I also felt like she veered away from the single person perspective that made the first book work for me, so I'm not sure I like where the series is going in general.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

FootFace wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I'm blaming this on Footface. After reading The Riverman, I was curious about Ann Rule's book on Bundy. So creepy! She knew him really well before any of the murders became big news. She knew him during the investigation when she was a fledgling crime writer and got a contract to write a book on the investigation. Such a serious of coincidences--if it were a moving, I'd be rolling my eyes at the implausibility of it all.

Now you have to watch The Deliberate Stranger starring Mark Harmon. It's not very good, but it's really "fun." You know what I mean.

Sadly, it isn't on Netflix.

Oddly though, I remember seeing bits as a kid.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got two on the go. Midnight's Children, which is great as expected, and Room, which I'm not really loving despite all the hype around it. Admittedly, I'm not very far into it (about 120 pages or so), but I kind of feel like the subject matter could have been tackled more sensitively than it has been. It this point it almost feels like all the accolades just came on the back of it being topical and capitalising on people's feelings about the cases that influenced it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cold Days chapter 2 is up! :D

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresde ... -chapter-2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just finished Dexter is Delicious and I am starting Double Dexter tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Finished Ape House by Sara Gruen. It was OK. Same author as Water For Elephants. Strange commentary on 'eco-feminist vegans.' Not necessarily negative, but mostly negative. I'm sorry that doesn't make much sense. I did like the seen where one kid throws someone's food on the floor and says, "Meat is murder." Just because it's something that would be ridiculous to see.

The book overall was entertaining, but not a literary masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination. I've moved on to Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union, mostly because I've owned it for a while and haven't read it. Any Chabon fans?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The new Leonard Cohen biography. I'm iffy on biographies, but this one seems better than most, and Cohen is fascinating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ndpittman wrote:
I've moved on to Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union, mostly because I've owned it for a while and haven't read it. Any Chabon fans?

That's the only Chabon I've read so far actually. It was a few years ago, but it was OK? I didn't love it but I did find it interesting. Good, but not excellent.

I'm taking a break reading Black Butler Volume Three. Why is there no Swedish translation for this series? I've ran out of manga to recommend at work and the kids won't read English. Same goes for a lot of good fiction, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fruitbat wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I've moved on to Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union, mostly because I've owned it for a while and haven't read it. Any Chabon fans?

That's the only Chabon I've read so far actually. It was a few years ago, but it was OK? I didn't love it but I did find it interesting. Good, but not excellent.

I've felt pretty wishy washy about all of Chabon's books except Wonder Boys and Kavalier and Clay. I just tried to read the new one (Telegraph Avenue) and realized, "hmm, I don't think I actually like this guy as an author. I just happened to have liked a couple of books he wrote a long time ago." I came to the same realization a few years ago about John Irving & A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I'm just starting Blood Red Road by Moira Young.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm 

That's kind of why I asked, molly. I LOVED Kavalier and Clay, but haven't been able to get in to any of his other work. I heard a poor review of Telegraph Avenue from someone who considers Chabon her favorite author, so I thought that was telling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am embarrassed to admit that I am reading Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris. Sometimes you need some junk food for your brain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm excited about the new Michael Connelly Harry Bosch book.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LW - Ooh, good to hear! I haven't read any crime fic in months

Now reading Reached by Ally Condie - looking forward to seeing how this series ends.

molly wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
molly wrote:
I'm reading Shadows by Ilsa Bick, the second in the Ashes trilogy.

Do you like that series? I've read mixed things. Also, did you end up enjoying Code Name Verity?

I loved Code Name Verity, although I thought it took a bit to get into. I am so used to my YA fiction being based around teen romance that I wasn't sure it was going to work for me at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I liked the first Ilsa Bicks book but not the second, so much. I've read a lot of reviews that say it suffers from middle-book-of-trilogy syndrome, where the writer is trying to bring together a lot of different things, which I guess is true. But I also felt like she veered away from the single person perspective that made the first book work for me, so I'm not sure I like where the series is going in general.

Re. Code Name Verity - awesome! It's my fave book of 2012. Whenever I rec it, I tell people to keep going, even if the beginning is slow and confusing. KISS ME, HARDY!!!

Re. Shadows - cool, I might give it a go. These days sooo many sequels seem to be just a filler book, although I can think of 2 this year that have been just as good or better than the first book in the series.

molly wrote:
I'm just starting Blood Red Road by Moira Young.

I've heard good things, hoping to read it this year... or next. I have too many books to read right now.

Moon wrote:
I am embarrassed to admit that I am reading Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris. Sometimes you need some junk food for your brain

Don't be embarrassed, you're reading and reading is good :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am reading Open City by Teju Cole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:

Nothing to be embarrassed about - you're in good company.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I love Charlaine Harris' books. I'm sad that the series is winding to a close. I think she said one more book? But, the characters are getting a little stale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

I borrowed The Time Traveler's Wife from the liberry just this morning as folks seem to like this book and I don't read a lot of today's fiction so I need to see what's out there from time to time.

Also, I have borrowed Live From New York: An Uncensored History of SNL which looks like it could be good and gossipy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:
Moon wrote:

Nothing to be embarrassed about - you're in good company.

Absolutely!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
I love Charlaine Harris' books. I'm sad that the series is winding to a close. I think she said one more book? But, the characters are getting a little stale.

Yep, the one coming out next year (I assume) is the last for Sookie et al. I probably said this in the thread, but the last one felt like she was phoning it in, so I'm happy for her to finish this up and move on to something new. Or go back to Aurora Teagarden.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:02 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I've just finished The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst. It was the sort of book that makes me want to run out and force everyone I know to read it immediately. Best novel I've read all year.

(edited for grammar)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

Adding it to my goodreads list!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

eight wrote:
I am reading Open City by Teju Cole

How is it? I've got it from the library right now, but I've got several books ahead of it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm extremely antsy for the next Stephen King book- Dr. Sleep, I think. I need more King.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I finished The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean a week ago and loved it. It's all about the sordid past of the elements on the periodic table. I have always enjoyed science but never really studied it in school. This was fascinating and made me interested in physics and chemistry, which I never thought possible. Now I'm reading his second book The Violinist's Thumb which is about the history and stories surrounding DNA.

Our library is closing for a month to relocate while they refurbish the building so I've started compiling a list of books to go get today before they close up shop. So I presume I'll be reading a lot in the next month.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Moon wrote:

I've read a couple of books in the series and loved them. When I checked them out the librarian was like, "Are these for YOU?" Apparently dudes aren't supposed to read them.

I just finished Fugitive Days by Bill Ayers, which chronicles his time in the Weather Underground. His writing sucks, but his story is fascinating. Reading it makes you wish there were people running around bombing the Pentagon today. I think having extremists like that is a sign of the health of the left.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 220  Next