| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barcelona?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

Obviously I'm aware that this is the UK forum but I figured UK people are more likely to travel in Europe than US folk.

I'm off to Barcelona in 2 weeks time and staying for 6 MONTHS! Yikes! It's the first half of my uni year abroad. Very excited and I'm sure I'll figure out my vegan life without too much trouble but I wondered if anyone knows any good vegan places ou there or has any recommendations for general vegan eating in Spain? Happy Cow looks pretty well-informed but I trust PPkers more!
Thank you everyone :)

Post subject: Re: Barcelona?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Well, Sesamo used to be one of my favourite restaurants in the world but it's changed hands a few times since then and reports aren't good. I had planned to go there for my 40th this year so it makes me too sad to think about! In general though, I've found there to be plenty of places to eat but since it's a few years since I've been HappyCow will probably be more accurate than me now. How great that we'll have an expert here in a few months though! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:09 am 
Saggy Butt

Thank you :) I'll try Sesamo anyway I guess and see what I make of it. I'm glad you say there's plenty of places to eat. I was wondering about grocery shopping too..wonder how good vegan supplies are.
I'm going to Paris in the New Year for 6 months so will be seeking more recs then!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The first time we went together we didn't stay right in the centre but were coincidentally very close to a big health food supermarket, sort of a Spanish Wholefoods. And one of the cafes we went to sold all its own tempeh, seitan etc. And the veg/fruit on the "normal" markets were amazing. I think you'll be fine and am very jealous. The 2 places I remember that aren't Sesamo were Organic, which had an amazing buffet with nooch for sprinkling, and Juicy Jones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

There was a Maoz outside my hostel when I was there. So that's a good thing to know about!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 am 
Saggy Butt

Maoz looks insanely good! Can't believe they've had one in London and I didn't know all this time...1 week to go until the off! I've been doing some investigations and the city seems pretty darn good for vegans actually.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:58 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Juicy Jones! Really colourful vegan cafes (there are two of them on different sides of the Ramblas). They do lots of different sandwiches and daily specials. We had an amazing Thali there one lunchtime. They also do lots of lovely juices. We liked them a lot! The staff were really friendly too and happy to give advice about their menus etc.

The other places we loved (which was also all vegan) was Gopal (can't remember precise address but it's on happy cow), which is amazing! I would describe it as a fast food place, as it does a range of different veggie burgers/hot dogs/nachos etc, but it also does loads of absolutely amazing sandwiches. There was one that was something like Seitan with deep fried green peppers and avocado, which was FANTASTIC. The menus there are in Catalan, but you can ask for an English one (the staff were really lovely and happy to help). They also do some great cakes there, like passion fruit mousse cake! There's not lots of room to sit (just a few stools), but we got take away sandwiches whenever we went on daytrips etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:01 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

oh, meant to say the only place that wasn't that great, was a restaurant that was all veggie but had very plain food - almost the stereotype of vegan food! For my main course I had brown rice (unseasoned), grilled tofu (again unseasoned), lettuce (no dressing) and some sweetcorn!! I can't remember what it was called, unfortunately... but it was somewhere near Passig de Gracia...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

Muchas gracias! I'm actually going to try and get a part-time job in a vegan restaurant out there (I do speak Spanish). Thought it could be fun..
Read reviews of Gopal and Juicy Jones on QuarryGirl and they look epic. Barca here I come!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

One of my best friends lives there and when we went to stay with her we ate in a lot too, and it seemed pretty easy to get nice fresh ingredients to cook with too - if you're doing a lot of self catering. We're planning to go again over the summer, as we loved it so much the last time we visited. I found it pretty easy to be vegan too - there are lots of middle-eastern restaurants that serve vegan food, as well as specifically vegan places.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm just back from an Erasmus year in Barcelona, I loved it, it's so vegan-friendly!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Blueberries wrote:
I'm just back from an Erasmus year in Barcelona, I loved it, it's so vegan-friendly!

This is half of my uni year abroad too. I got here a couple of days ago and am loving it so far :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I was in Barcelona years ago, but I remember many amazing falafel places with pickled green tomatoes and even an Indian place with vegetarian options.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 pm 
Ninja Master

I should be going in September. Excited!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm back living in Barcelona, if anyone's out my direction, sent me a message :D

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 am 
Saggy Butt

Not there unfortunately Blueberries :( Sounds as if you know the city pretty well but there's another Barcelona topic here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16172 with more vegan places to visit. Are you involved at all with animanaturalis? there a great animal rights group who have a branch in BCN.