| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:39 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Oxford, England
Hello UK PPkers,
I'm a part-time Londoner and for some time now I've been creating a little Google Map with vegan eateries, shops etc that I've visited or want to visit in the capital. I thought some people might find it useful so I'm posting the link here.

I haven't got around to writing descriptions or adding website links to all the places yet but if anyone wants to make any edits or add anywhere they like then please go ahead. I've set it as a public map so it should be accessible to all I think...


http://goo.gl/maps/cHVS2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:46 am 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8150
Location: Philly/London
That's awesome! Thanks this is so useful.

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 am 
Offline
Writes Vegan Haiku

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 26
Location: London
Is it sorbets they do at Scoop & Lick Gelato? I never heard of them before, have you been?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:34 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Oxford, England
Yes sorbets. Including chocolate though. Would recommend Scoop over Lick, much creamier and more flavourful in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
This is amazing! I'm going to London over the holidays (I'm Canadian, and have relatives in France and we're making a stop in London), so this is super helpful!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Oxford, England
Glad it's of use Meredith :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:41 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 72
VeganMeredith wrote:
This is amazing! I'm going to London over the holidays (I'm Canadian, and have relatives in France and we're making a stop in London), so this is super helpful!



In London, vegan food is pretty mainstream here. Pizza Hut will happily make your pizza without the cheese, MacDonalds and Burger King both do salads and will do a veggie burger without the mayo. Most of the snacks in the 99p and poundshops are vegan friendly, and we have Holland and Barrett, which is a healthfood type place, on most high streets. Plus Subway, which my brother swears make the best sandwiches in the world, and 'greasy spoons', cafe type places, they usually have something vegan on the menu, falafel or chips or something like that. They don't to health food even for omnis, so it's not for the calorie conscious.

Though, avoid Greggs the bakers like the plague, whenever I go in there and ask for something without the mayo or cheese or dead animal carcass, I get looked at like I'm insane.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 359
Location: London, UK
how do you add stuff to it?

_________________
"Gee, that's interesting. I guess you can be intellectually gifted and still be morally bankrupt." - Daria Morgendorffer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:38 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4506
Location: Surrey, UK
vegantogepii wrote:
In London, vegan food is pretty mainstream here. Pizza Hut will happily make your pizza without the cheese, MacDonalds and Burger King both do salads and will do a veggie burger without the mayo.

They might leave off the cheese for you in pizza hut but I'm pretty sure their crust isn't vegan! Also, I know that burger king's veggie burger isn't vegan and I didn't think that macdonalds did one, but it's been around 6 years since I ate in one, so that may have changed (not that I'd ever give them my money anyway!)

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:47 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Somerset
'Currently', the deep pan and gluten free ones are, Italian and others aren't.

Each restaurant should have an up to date one of these, http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/assets/restau ... t-0912.pdf - just ask to see it.

Note, the delivery only huts can be different, http://delivery.pizzahut.co.uk/menu/pdf ... livery.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:14 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Oxford, England
Badgermog, it should be open to public editing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 72
baps wrote:
They might leave off the cheese for you in pizza hut but I'm pretty sure their crust isn't vegan! Also, I know that burger king's veggie burger isn't vegan and I didn't think that macdonalds did one, but it's been around 6 years since I ate in one, so that may have changed (not that I'd ever give them my money anyway!)


Their crust is vegan, I promise you, I've done my homework. And my digestive system, which is the reason I'm vegan because I can't actually tolerate anything from an animal, says that the Burger King burger is, and the MacDonalds one is too. If you're really worried though, go for the onion rings and some fries


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4506
Location: Surrey, UK
I would never eat in either burger king or macdonalds so it isn't an issue for me.

But I do remember reading that both BK's veggie burgers and pizza huts crusts are not vegan. In fact I don't even think BK's rolls were vegan because they had milk in. So maybe they've changed their recipe?

Edit: according to this, from BK's website the veggie burger has milk in!
http://www.bk.com/cms/en/us/cms_out/dig ... 2013_1.pdf

Seems like Pizza hut's pan dough is ok but not the italian. So that's good to know!
http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/assets/restau ... t-0912.pdf

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3836
Location: Edinburgh
OMG, the pan crust was my favourite pregan! I might have to go to Pizza Hut! Would that be as bad as going to McDonalds?

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 72
baps wrote:
I would never eat in either burger king or macdonalds so it isn't an issue for me.


If it's not an issue for you, why is it so damn important for you to go out of your way to prove me wrong? Surely it's my problem if I'm wrong and not yours.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3836
Location: Edinburgh
vegantogepii wrote:
baps wrote:
I would never eat in either burger king or macdonalds so it isn't an issue for me.


If it's not an issue for you, why is it so damn important for you to go out of your way to prove me wrong? Surely it's my problem if I'm wrong and not yours.

I don't think it was a matter of proving you wrong but making sure that incorrect information didn't get passed on to others who might be reading but not responding. If you look at the link baps posted, the BK veggie burger has milk in it. Most people don't investigate things once they've been told it's OK, so someone could've seen your post, thought that burger was OK, and continued to order it for years (or until someone else pointed out that it's not vegan).

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:17 pm 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4506
Location: Surrey, UK
I didn't go out of my way i did a quick Google. And some others might want to rely on company info over your stomach. We're all here to help each other. There's really no need for the attitude!!

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm
Posts: 522
Location: Your Mom, UK
I just want to double check: McD's regular burgers are vegan, right?

_________________
The Messy Vegetarian Cook
London Vegan Beer Fest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 72
baps wrote:
I didn't go out of my way i did a quick Google. And some others might want to rely on company info over your stomach. We're all here to help each other. There's really no need for the attitude!!


I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I had attitude. It appeared to me that you were talking to me in a superior tone which I didn't appreciate. I know we're here to help each other, but it seemed to me that you went about it in a very confrontational way, as if you were too good to eat in a MacDonalds. Excuse me for taking offence when it seemed that you were looking down your nose at me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2584
Location: England
vegantogepii wrote:
baps wrote:
They might leave off the cheese for you in pizza hut but I'm pretty sure their crust isn't vegan! Also, I know that burger king's veggie burger isn't vegan and I didn't think that macdonalds did one, but it's been around 6 years since I ate in one, so that may have changed (not that I'd ever give them my money anyway!)


Their crust is vegan, I promise you, I've done my homework. And my digestive system, which is the reason I'm vegan because I can't actually tolerate anything from an animal, says that the Burger King burger is, and the MacDonalds one is too. If you're really worried though, go for the onion rings and some fries


Which onion rings?

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 72
I go for the regular ones


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2584
Location: England
No sorry, where? BK?

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm
Posts: 72
Oh, the Burger King ones, yeah. Not the best ones in the world, but when you gotta eat, sometimes options are limited.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2584
Location: England
I love onion rings and I'd totally eat them at Burger King if they didn't fry them in the same fat as the chicken and fish.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan London Map
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4506
Location: Surrey, UK
vegantogepii wrote:
baps wrote:
I didn't go out of my way i did a quick Google. And some others might want to rely on company info over your stomach. We're all here to help each other. There's really no need for the attitude!!


I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I had attitude. It appeared to me that you were talking to me in a superior tone which I didn't appreciate. I know we're here to help each other, but it seemed to me that you went about it in a very confrontational way, as if you were too good to eat in a MacDonalds. Excuse me for taking offence when it seemed that you were looking down your nose at me.

I guess I misread "...so damn important ..." as attitude, as you misread my post as confrontational and superior. My bad.

Sigh. Honestly, I don't care where you buy your lunch. I'm not gonna pretend I'm perfect and I'm not one for judging other peoples choices. I was just trying to help my fellow awesome vegans reading the thread by checking what I'd been told previously.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer