| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 536  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Blueberries wrote:
torque wrote:
Also, in related news, i posted the recipe for a pie i made for this event and someone made a snarky remark about eewww egg replacer. I did not make a nasty remark about chicken periods, even though i really wanted to. but seriously, eew, starch and baking powder, how yucky. eyeroll

A vegetarian friend of mine (who I think secretly feels really defensive about not being vegan) once went off at me in a very strange rant about egg replacer. I tried to explain to her that there are loads of different ways of replacing eggs in baking but she was having none of it, saying that any vegan cake she had ever tried (which I suspect is none) was really dry and that she felt better when she could taste the egg in cake. Same person who says she doesn't like eggs and only eats 'a bit of dairy' *facepalm*.

What makes it worse is that she'll boast about when something she's eating is vegan and says that she eats vegan most of the time! Confusing!!

well looky here-- i responded to her
Quote:
egg replacer sounds so nasty but as you can see above [where i put the recipe for someone else who requested it] it's just starch plus baking powder to match the binding and rising power that egg has. Usually vegan bakers use bananas or flax or something but with the pies i needed something that wouldn't alter the flavor like banana would.

and her response was
Quote:
I know what egg replacer is, I just don't like it too much. I was lucky to live in cohousing in California and cooked for vegans every month, and I was vegan for 3 years! 10 years vegetarian...but that was another life altogether.

So what do you think I should do? Respond with a "sorry to hear that you're a failed vegan"?? ha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 am 
Semen Strong

"Oh vegan food has come a long way since then!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

or, right along my own lines, another person to block!! I need to get in there anyway to block the mechanic whose photos all seem to be clothing optional ^shudder^
you know, it's really funny, I have not blocked *any* PPK vegans *ever*-- any other population has about a 66% chance of being blocked.

ba ba ba
another one bites the dust

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My boss and her best friend are both failed vegans, and foodies at that. She thinks I should get her friend (a chef) to cater my wedding. Is it wrong that I'm SO against the idea of a failed vegan (turned super duper grass-fed carnivore) catering? His attitude is all "been there, done that, what a crazy misguided kid I was".

Speaking of caterers, the ones that come in for events at my work are always trying to feed me, which would be welcome if they had anything vegan. They always make me a plate of vegetarian stuff, and when I re-explain that I can't eat any of it, they are baffled to hear stuff like that spanikopita isn't vegan. It's kind of amazing that the caterers themselves have no idea what's in the food. And I HATE always turning down everything. Everyone gives me this "hmmm, must have an eating disorder" look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:29 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

torque wrote:
Blueberries wrote:
torque wrote:
Also, in related news, i posted the recipe for a pie i made for this event and someone made a snarky remark about eewww egg replacer. I did not make a nasty remark about chicken periods, even though i really wanted to. but seriously, eew, starch and baking powder, how yucky. eyeroll

A vegetarian friend of mine (who I think secretly feels really defensive about not being vegan) once went off at me in a very strange rant about egg replacer. I tried to explain to her that there are loads of different ways of replacing eggs in baking but she was having none of it, saying that any vegan cake she had ever tried (which I suspect is none) was really dry and that she felt better when she could taste the egg in cake. Same person who says she doesn't like eggs and only eats 'a bit of dairy' *facepalm*.

What makes it worse is that she'll boast about when something she's eating is vegan and says that she eats vegan most of the time! Confusing!!

well looky here-- i responded to her
Quote:
egg replacer sounds so nasty but as you can see above [where i put the recipe for someone else who requested it] it's just starch plus baking powder to match the binding and rising power that egg has. Usually vegan bakers use bananas or flax or something but with the pies i needed something that wouldn't alter the flavor like banana would.

and her response was
Quote:
I know what egg replacer is, I just don't like it too much. I was lucky to live in cohousing in California and cooked for vegans every month, and I was vegan for 3 years! 10 years vegetarian...but that was another life altogether.

So what do you think I should do? Respond with a "sorry to hear that you're a failed vegan"?? ha.

Well obviously the way to prove that vegan baked goods are delicious, is to make her some delicious vegan baked goods!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 am 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
linanil wrote:
I say screw them violet.

+1 yummy
+1,000,000,000,000 yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

vijita wrote:
My boss and her best friend are both failed vegans, and foodies at that. She thinks I should get her friend (a chef) to cater my wedding. Is it wrong that I'm SO against the idea of a failed vegan (turned super duper grass-fed carnivore) catering? His attitude is all "been there, done that, what a crazy misguided kid I was".

no.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am 
And you never will.

I just want the recipe for torque's pie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vijita wrote:

Oh, I think you could totally get out of this. I say you should laugh when it gets recommended to use her friend and say "well if she couldn't stay vegan she must not know how to make very good vegan food"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:12 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LazySmurf wrote:
vijita wrote:
Oh, I think you could totally get out of this. I say you should laugh when it gets recommended to use her friend and say "well if she couldn't stay vegan she must not know how to make very good vegan food"
This!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Pet peeve: the expression "failed vegan". Veganism isn't something you can pass or fail, it's something you do because you have a set of beliefs. People have different reasons to do things and different beliefs and you shouldn't go about thinking you're better than someone. (Though it's just an expression and I'm sure you don't think like that). It's like calling someone a failed Christian or a failed organic-food-buyer. Don't be mean.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We went grocery shopping today. They were giving away free turkeys to anyone who spent over 150 dollars. We said no thank you and explained we don't eat meat several times. They threw it into our cart anyways. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm 
And you never will.

Ugh, that's annoying, Amajorrecords. Did you end up taking it with you? I know any food bank would love to have it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

poopiebitch wrote:
Ugh, that's annoying, Amajorrecords. Did you end up taking it with you? I know any food bank would love to have it.

Our four year old daughter offered it to a sweet old man in the parking lot. He was very confused but very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 pm 
And you never will.

At least you made someone happy with it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:14 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

People who turn discussions about veganism into a rant about how crazy all vegans are. They will usually tell you about "all" the crazy raw-foodists and fruitarians they know. (Usually just one. Or someone they heard about from a friend.) And then they will go on telling you that veganism just cannot be healthy if all you ever eat is fruit.

People, I don't eat fruit. All I ever eat is Oreos!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Amajorrecords wrote:
We went grocery shopping today. They were giving away free turkeys to anyone who spent over 150 dollars. We said no thank you and explained we don't eat meat several times. They threw it into our cart anyways. Ugh.

Not gonna lie, I would probably talk to management about this, and I don't think I've ever asked to talk to the manager before. "I don't eat meat" means "I don't eat meat!"

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kilgore trout wrote:
Amajorrecords wrote:

Not gonna lie, I would probably talk to management about this, and I don't think I've ever asked to talk to the manager before. "I don't eat meat" means "I don't eat meat!"

This. Although your four year old sounds awesome!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

@gulliver, i also rankle at "failed vegan", and it only passed my lips (fingers?) because of how mad she made me. i do think it's a very judgmental and unfair thing, and in the best third-grade tit-for-tat snit i was in, it seemed appropriate.

@poopiebitch--- the PIE!!! cut to the chase, right? it's the impossible vegan pie from FatFreeVegan blog. I usually tweak the spices depending on what i have [i RAN OUT OF GINGER this thanksgiving so it wasn't as spicy as i usually like it]

We used to always get free thanksgiving turkeys (one year we got one from the parent resource group, another from the Head Start program, another from somewhere else, it was RIDICULOUS)- luckily our town had a Turkey Bank where you could bring your extra turkeys and they gave it to Meals on Wheels or direct food assistance. Thank goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Amajorrecords wrote:

this is like the holiday ham my company has given employees the last two years for Xmas. the first year i had no idea we were getting it (usually we get like a jacket) but i brought it to my parents house for Xmas eve and then the leftovers to friends for New Years so i think it all got eaten.
normally they dont do the same gift two years in a row so i didnt expect another one last year and then ended up with another one. ugh. only problem with last year is that a lot of family members' food habits changed for the better. my mom stopped eating meat, my husband stopped eating pork products, and my sister in law figured out she is allergic to pork products. i gave it to my brother anyways hoping between him and my nephews it wouldnt go to waste.

this year i asked to be taken off the dead pig list but it sounds like they arent doing it this year (YAY!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

it would be so easy and so good for PR if they had an option that they could donate it to the food bank, and it would save you problems. This would work for the grocery store too. But sadly the onus is on you to actually set up this kind of scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

LisaPunk wrote:
Amajorrecords wrote:

this is like the holiday ham my company has given employees the last two years for Xmas. the first year i had no idea we were getting it (usually we get like a jacket) but i brought it to my parents house for Xmas eve and then the leftovers to friends for New Years so i think it all got eaten.
normally they dont do the same gift two years in a row so i didnt expect another one last year and then ended up with another one. ugh. only problem with last year is that a lot of family members' food habits changed for the better. my mom stopped eating meat, my husband stopped eating pork products, and my sister in law figured out she is allergic to pork products. i gave it to my brother anyways hoping between him and my nephews it wouldnt go to waste.

this year i asked to be taken off the dead pig list but it sounds like they arent doing it this year (YAY!)

We typically get a Honeybaked Ham gift certificate from hubby's employer -- last year we gave it to some friends who were going through a hard time. If we get one this year, we will give it away again. They do have some frozen soups but I have no idea if any are vegan.

There are lots of people who don't use or want the certificates, even people who eat meat. I wish they'd give us a Kroger gift card instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

chouettes crêpes wrote:
creep wrote:
.... I got to spend the entire day hearing her talk about all the meat she likes and killing farm animals and "vaygun."....

has mispronouncing the word "vegan" already been mentioned in this thread? if so, i think it could stand a second mentioning. what on earth in the english language makes you think vegan has a soft "g" when people say, "vee-jun"???? and then there's "vee-ghan"! this may well not be true, but i feel like they're doing it on purpose to undermine my beliefs.

What's amazing is that there is another vegan at work, and we'll pronounce it correctly, and she will IMMEDIATELY say "vaygun" again. Does she think we're mispronouncing it, or does she really not notice the difference, or does she just not care?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gulliver wrote:
Pet peeve: the expression "failed vegan". Veganism isn't something you can pass or fail, it's something you do because you have a set of beliefs. People have different reasons to do things and different beliefs and you shouldn't go about thinking you're better than someone. (Though it's just an expression and I'm sure you don't think like that). It's like calling someone a failed Christian or a failed organic-food-buyer. Don't be mean.

I was just going with the flow of the conversation here. I would never call anyone that to their face. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

My neighbor offered us lemons off her tree when it is ready. She was like "well, they are not organic do you still want them"...I told her "since I do not see your husband out there with a hazmat suit on spraying the tree with chemicals I think we will be fine"...

Seriously dude - your husband picked about $150 worth of pomegranates from our tree can't you kick us down a few lemons????

My boyfriend's manager is asking him about going gluten free for conception based on the fact of our vegan front. Um, first off we are not GF and second we are child free so we do not know anything about avoiding wheat to have babies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 536  Next