| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I am so vegan...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:55 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I love when I just don't understand how people are able to eat meat... and then they do. It feels physically impossible but obviously it's not.
And then I realize that I am the one that belongs to a minority!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

paprikapapaya wrote:
I'm so vegan, sometimes people introduce me as "This is __paprikapapaya__! She's vegan!"

I hate this! It's like saying "This is rhelune, she's my token vegan friend."

Quote:
I'm also so vegan that I crave greens.

Me, too :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm sometimes taken by surprise by food commercials on TV or grocery store sales papers when I realize what I'm actually looking at. Then I feel weird that no one else sees pictures of meat as disturbing.

I also have forgotten how to answer people who ask me what I use in place of eggs for baking (a common question for me). People use eggs to bake?? I usually just look confused for a minute before formulating some sort of (unsatisfying) answer consisting of "it depends."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I always accidentally assume everything in the health food store, the Whole Foods, or Trader Joes is vegan! I can stand there considering buying chicken salad for a minute assuming it's made of fake chicken and then realize omg wait, that has meat in it! Weird!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:30 am 

I do that a lot- I just grab something. I did this a couple weeks ago when I was buying chocolate chips, ending up with Ghiradeli baking chips- which are not vegan. Mom loved them, at least.

I'm so vegan I leave the store without bread a lot because I'm lazy and don't want to read ingredients.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know this has been mentioned already, but it's annoying I accidentally buy non-vegan products from companies (Amy's et. al. . . ) that make an effort to make a lot of vegan products and clearly label them as vegan. I accidentally bought some Peace brand granola because they have a lot of vegan offerings, but I was dumb and didn't check to see whether or not it was vegan. . .after I came home, I decided to double-check, and it contains honey. Really, why can't they just make all of their cereals/granolas honey-free?

eta: For some reason I thought I was in the vegan pet-peeve thread (the posts before mine were pretty vegan-pet-peeve-thread-ish). So just pretend that I posted this in the peeve thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:26 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Have any of you read The Year of the Flood? The secret burgers made me crave veggie burgers. Maybe even secret veggie burgers with always changing mystery ingredients. I even think it could be a concept for a vegan restaurant. I'm pretty sure no omnivore read about Secret Burger and thought "mmm, yeah, I could really go for a hamburger right about now."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Have any of you read The Year of the Flood? The secret burgers made me crave veggie burgers. Maybe even secret veggie burgers with always changing mystery ingredients. I even think it could be a concept for a vegan restaurant. I'm pretty sure no omnivore read about Secret Burger and thought "mmm, yeah, I could really go for a hamburger right about now."

I've just read that! I saw it in a bookshop in an airport a few years ago and wanted to buy it but couldn't then forgot about it, and I found it in the library recently.
The secret burger did not make me crave any kind of food- the thought of the free burger in the lunch break made me feel a bit ill. But mystery veggie burgers is an amazing idea for a restaurant!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

zensquiggle wrote:
I am so vegan that I was sitting in the breakroom at work the other day eating plain shredded lettuce out of a bag like it was potato chips.

I do that sometimes when I cant be arsed to whip up a dressing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

...that I never understand why places offer vegetarian options. Just make them all vegan options for crying out loud, and then all the veg-heads could eat and be merry. I also get a bit indignant (still peacefully, of course compassion still rules) with the addition of honey to "vegan (except for the honey ;)" products.

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I am so vegan that the cafe around the corner from me knows never to put cheese, butter, honey, milk, or meat in any of my food. the owner knows exactly what I mean when I say I want the falafel (the regular one comes with feta cheese and honey dressing on the salad, mine comes with chips and pitta bread).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

you guys, i think i might finally be too vegan. i dropped some fresh broccoli into a pot of boiling water tonight and it made a hissing, squealing sound, and my eyes teared up and i started to fish it back out of the pot. then i realized what i was doing and felt really weird and took a step back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:55 pm 

I wish I wasn't grinning so much at that, acr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

acr wrote:
you guys, i think i might finally be too vegan. i dropped some fresh broccoli into a pot of boiling water tonight and it made a hissing, squealing sound, and my eyes teared up and i started to fish it back out of the pot. then i realized what i was doing and felt really weird and took a step back.

I can relate. When I start plants from seed, it breaks my heart to have to kill some of the little seedlings to thin things out so there is enough room for the plants to grow properly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:46 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm so vegan that I had a nightmare that they stopped making my favourite houmous! As with the rest of you I also live in a vegan bubble where I think eating animals & their products is weird/disturbing. I'm also everyone's token vegan friend :/

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
acr wrote:

I can relate. When I start plants from seed, it breaks my heart to have to kill some of the little seedlings to thin things out so there is enough room for the plants to grow properly.

i have that problem, too. cherry tomatoes always start springing up wild in my plot about halfway through the summer, and sometimes i can yank them, but sometimes i'm too touched by their will to thrive, and then everything is tomatoes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

annamal wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
Garrick wrote:
Looking at something in a grocery store and being like, "weird, how do they/why would they make vegan turkey meatloaf balls" and then remembering that not everything is vegan.

I do this way too often. I once almost put bacon in my shopping basket because I thought it was a new brand of vegan bacon, then I realised that wait, no, meat is a thing that some people eat.

I thought I was the only one! This especially happens to me on the rare occasion that I go to a restaurant that doesn't really have anything vegan unless you modify, and then I get really wigged out when I realize that everyone around me is eating animal products.

I have the opposite problem. On the rare occasion when I do go to an actual vegan restaurant, I have embarassed myself for asking for my food to be prepared without dairy or eggs.

Derp.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I almost did that one too Chiki. I went The Sweet Hereafter, an all vegan restaurant/bar on a trip to Portland Or. As the bartender was mixing my drink I had a moment of panic because I hadn't checked to make sure there weren't any egg whites or other animal products in the drink. Then when I sat down to eat I started worrying that maybe the roll my sandwich was on had been brushed with egg or milk to give it the lovely crust it had.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I pissed off my vegan friend when I asked him if the food was vegan one too many times.

In vegan restaurants I ask "Is everything vegan?", and when they answer it is, I ask "Also no honey?"