| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 275  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "What's for dinner tonight?" thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Holy crepe guys. The butternut Alfredo in the PPK blog is one of the most amazing meals ever. I used a lovely Gewurtztraminer.

So. effing. good.

it really is! it's ridiculously good. One of my favorite meals in a long time.

This was amazing!! My meat and potatoes boyfriend tried to drink the sauce out of the blender. Definitely omi approved!

Definitely going on my must make list!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We had vegan bowls from AFR - brown rice, baked tofu, and kale. Used a chipotle miso-tahini sauce. Pretty delicious. Then lots of peanut butter cookies. So good!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:42 am 
Huffs Nooch

bodhi wrote:
We had vegan bowls from AFR - brown rice, baked tofu, and kale. Used a chipotle miso-tahini sauce. Pretty delicious. Then lots of peanut butter cookies. So good!

Sounds yummy! What recipe do you use for the cookies?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 am 
Chard Martyr

jdfunks wrote:
Cambodian amok-inspired curry soup with cubed red kuri squash, baked tofu, sliced potato, green bell pepper, steamed kale and white rice.

That sounded incredible until you lost me at green bell pepper. But still! jdfunks meals are the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
bodhi wrote:

I used the recipe from Get It Ripe - but I used wheat flour because I'm out of spelt, and 2/3cup agave + 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp water instead of maple syrup. They turned out really well. I can send you the recipe if you don't have the book or can't find it online.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Leftover creamy garlicky cheesy potato and leek 'gratin' - it was delicious last night, looking forward to leftovers tonight.

I parboiled slices of potato, then layered them into a greased baking dish, layer of cheese (melty mozzerella from redwoods), layer of thinly sliced leeks, garlic, salt and pepper, layer of cheese, layer of potatoes, layer of cheese, more garlic and salt and pepper, and poured alpro cream all over the top. Baked for about 30 minutes.

Had it last night with a Fry's schnitzel and some stringless beans with shallots.

Tonight might try it with a Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausage or two, and some cavolo nero.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hmmm... perhaps some baked tofu, rice, and saucy kale. Mom's baking a pineapple upside down cake as I type, so dessert is set :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Flatbread with chana masala hummus (inspired by betit19's pizzas), with roasted cauliflower, red onions, and cilantro. So excited.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:22 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Ethiopian: mixed vegetable stew, spinach, mild green split pea puree, and red lentils in a spicy gravy, plus some shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, all served on and eaten with injera of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
Cambodian amok-inspired curry soup with cubed red kuri squash, baked tofu, sliced potato, green bell pepper, steamed kale and white rice.

That sounded incredible until you lost me at green bell pepper. But still! jdfunks meals are the best.

hahahaha! It was seriously only because green peppers were 3 for $1 at the farmers market.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Udon or ramen noodles with chanterelles and a spicy miso broth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm 

Pumpkin baked ziti from v'con and chocolate pudding pie from VPITS for dessert.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

breakfast for dinner! Fronch Toast from VwaV!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Japchae and some banchan. Radish salad, stir-fried mushrooms, seasoned seaweed, zucchini fritters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

seitan stew with crescent rolls!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

rohai wrote:
A big pan of sour dough and apple sage field roast stuffing.

This is my kind of dinner!

Mine was chickpea cutlets with maple-dijon dressing, lemony roasted potatoes and fresh tomatoes with balsamic. Wonderful!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 pm 
Chip Strong

i bastardized the ppk roasted butternut alfredo and made it with a can of pumpkin because i was lazy. it was meh and i take all the blame. i also made a gf chickpea cutlets recipe and they were even more meh. nothing compares to gluten :( so overall it was disappointing and i have enough leftovers for an army.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 am 

Lentil soup, butternut squash biscuits, and salad. Maybe a third of a bottle of wine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

bodhi wrote:
SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
bodhi wrote:

I used the recipe from Get It Ripe - but I used wheat flour because I'm out of spelt, and 2/3cup agave + 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp water instead of maple syrup. They turned out really well. I can send you the recipe if you don't have the book or can't find it online.

Thanks! I actually have that book. I haven't cooked anything from it yet. What else have you made from it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

erynne936 wrote:
i bastardized the ppk roasted butternut alfredo and made it with a can of pumpkin because i was lazy. it was meh and i take all the blame. i also made a gf chickpea cutlets recipe and they were even more meh. nothing compares to gluten :( so overall it was disappointing and i have enough leftovers for an army.

Maybe you can jazz up the leftovers to make them more tasty? Sauteee a lot of garlic in olive oil and stir it into the alfredo with some herbs perhaps? Or sir chili garlic sauce into it?
GF chickpea cutlets sound dangerous to me. I'm guessing your problem is texture. I'd cut them into smaller pieces, deep fry, and serve with bbq sauce for dipping. Or cut into strips, brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and any other seasoning you want and broil or bake at high heat to make "chickpea fries". Or, mush them back up, and mix with rehydrated small TVP and form into balls and bake. I know, I'm basically suggesting adding more fat and salt to everything, but that does make most foods more appealing!
Or, find a less picky species to feed it too. (not calling you personally picky, just most humans who have plenty to eat will complain if they don't find their food tasty.) The squirrels in my back yard usually love eating the food I don't want to eat that I eave out for them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm 
Chip Strong

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
erynne936 wrote:

Maybe you can jazz up the leftovers to make them more tasty? Sauteee a lot of garlic in olive oil and stir it into the alfredo with some herbs perhaps? Or sir chili garlic sauce into it?
GF chickpea cutlets sound dangerous to me. I'm guessing your problem is texture. I'd cut them into smaller pieces, deep fry, and serve with bbq sauce for dipping. Or cut into strips, brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and any other seasoning you want and broil or bake at high heat to make "chickpea fries". Or, mush them back up, and mix with rehydrated small TVP and form into balls and bake. I know, I'm basically suggesting adding more fat and salt to everything, but that does make most foods more appealing!
Or, find a less picky species to feed it too. (not calling you personally picky, just most humans who have plenty to eat will complain if they don't find their food tasty.) The squirrels in my back yard usually love eating the food I don't want to eat that I eave out for them.

Don't worry, I've been thinking all morning about what to do with those chickpea cutlets to make them a new and improved food item and adding more fat and salt sounds like the best idea to me too. The cutlets are a little spicy or I would have let my dogs each have one! ;) They might be a good addition crumbled onto salads.

LOL one of the picky species I was feeding this food to was omni husband who gave kind remarks to the pasta but only was able to force down one small cutlet. I ate mine with bbq sauce which I found to be an improvement.

The pasta is really not bad, just not as good as it could have been, I think. Thanks for the ideas! I really hate wasting food!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ziti with tomato sauce and garlic bread. I'm tired and Mom was awesome enough to make a me-friendly dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tempeh meatballs! With pasta and sauteed zucchini for me, and on a sub for Boyfriend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
Thanks! I actually have that book. I haven't cooked anything from it yet. What else have you made from it?

I've made the Molasses Cornbread, Ginger Sesame Pasta Salad, Chickpea Salad, Fresh Cilantro Pesto, Moroccan Garbanzo Bean Soup, Portobello Soup, Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Soup, Andrew's Butternut Risotto, Barbecue Baked Tofu, Pesto White Bean Bowl, Sesame Kale Soba, Flax Maple Cookies, Cowgirl Cookies, and Stevia 'n Spice Cookies. Everything was good except the Portobello Soup and the Stevia cookies. I hate stevia. Haha. Anyway, I really like the Butternut Risotto and the BBQ Tofu.

Tonight - Was going to be Mushroom Hot Pot off the PPK blog, but somehow I have SO MUCH FOOD in my fridge, so it's gonna be leftovers to help clear out the fridge a bit before I make anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 pm 
Huffs Nooch

bodhi wrote:
SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:

I've made the Molasses Cornbread, Ginger Sesame Pasta Salad, Chickpea Salad, Fresh Cilantro Pesto, Moroccan Garbanzo Bean Soup, Portobello Soup, Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Soup, Andrew's Butternut Risotto, Barbecue Baked Tofu, Pesto White Bean Bowl, Sesame Kale Soba, Flax Maple Cookies, Cowgirl Cookies, and Stevia 'n Spice Cookies. Everything was good except the Portobello Soup and the Stevia cookies. I hate stevia. Haha. Anyway, I really like the Butternut Risotto and the BBQ Tofu.

Tonight - Was going to be Mushroom Hot Pot off the PPK blog, but somehow I have SO MUCH FOOD in my fridge, so it's gonna be leftovers to help clear out the fridge a bit before I make anything else.

Thanks so much!! That gives me a great jumping off point!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 275  Next