| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: frosting dilemma!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

hello ppk! i need your wise advice. i used to post here a fair amount under the username sokeripupu, i think, but it's been ages.

i am making that raspberry blackout thingie cake from vwv for my husband's birthday, but i am messing with it by cutting each layer into 3 and then alternating raspberry jam and chocolate frosting.

i'd really like to use the tofu mousse recipe (from vctotw i think?) but i am wondering if it will stand up to the weight of the cake. should i just go with a chocolate buttercream instead? keep refrigerated? other?

thanks in advance! i will be frosting this thing probably in about 5-6 hours and i should have thought about this sooner!

Post subject: Re: frosting dilemma!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just made the blackout cake with that mousse filling from vctotw and it was truly the greatest cake I've ever made. The filling held up better than any frosting I've ever made. You just gotta keep it in the fridge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

thanks for the confirmation, you convinced me to try the mousse and it came out awesome!

i will say it's not the easiest cake to cut into thinner layers, and cutting each layer into 3 was impossible, so i cut them into 2 and did jam & mousse on each layer. that worked just fine, except that cutting the first layer in half turned out to be a bit of a practice round. i just reassembled and hid the one mutilated piece in the middle, no harm done!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

did you freeze it? i thought that was the easiest way to cut cake, but maybe i'm crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

chouettes crêpes wrote:
did you freeze it? i thought that was the easiest way to cut cake, but maybe i'm crazy.

whoooooa! I have never thought of that before, but I'm saving this tip for the next birthday that rolls around!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am 
Tofu Pup

i did not freeze it. i bet that would have helped. it would have taken a lot of freezer rearranging though, i am kind of a frozen food hoarder.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yay! i'm glad it worked out for you! when i made it i just did two whole cakes. I'm awful at slicing cakes in half, so i don't even try anymore. I brought the cake to my mom's birthday dinner where only my sister and i were vegan, and everyone loved it and I'm not sure they knew it was vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm looking at half a raspberry blackout cake I made for MY husband's birthday Saturday. I can't imagine cutting those layers in half. Good on you! I've made this cake so many times, but I'll definitely have to try the mousse next time!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

yeah, i was picturing a taller cake when i made this plan! the second one came out better, partly because i'd already done it once and i think it was just an easier layer to cut. the first one was cooked more around the edges which made it REALLY HARD.

my mom cuts cakes into smaller layers all the time but i think it's more of a spongecake and i think she might have a wire to do it or something. regardless, i really should have asked her for tips before i started!