| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: teeth grinding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Has anyone tried Botox to stop teeth grinding? I'm supposed to get it done this Friday and I'm a little freaked out at the thought of needles in my face (masseter and possibly temporalis) and Botox in general. It's kind of a last resort and I've found a bunch of good antecdotal results in my online research. And yes, I've seen a doctor about it and everything they suggested I've already done. Going to a dermatologist for the Botox. It will have no effect on my skin (won't tighten it), just the jaw.

A little background -- I've been grinding my teeth at night for about 8 years. No tooth damage luckily, since I wear a night guard every night. I've tried meditating, yoga, drinking chamomile tea, using an acupressure mat, cbt for anxiety, and a few other things I can't remember now but I still wake up every morning with a giant headache all over my head.

I hope this works! It's supposed to weaken the muscles a little and make it harder to brux forcefully and hopefully break the cycle. Anyway, if anyone has done this and has any feedback that would be great, or even if you've tried something else that helped you I'd love to hear about it.

Post subject: Re: teeth grinding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Hey bluestars, I'm also a lifelong teeth grinder so I feel your pain. Very literally. Drug store mouthguards and one mouthguard professionally made for me at the dentist haven't done much to help me. I've never heard of botox as a treatment for it but I guess I can see the logic in it. I work with two people that use Botox for cosmetic reasons and they've told me that if they miss an appointment their face starts looking really weird. But you mentioned they'll be focusing on the jaw, not your face, so it sounds like you won't have to deal with that. Anywho, good luck and I hope it goes well!
On a funny note, when I asked my dentist for other suggestions on how to stop the bruxism, he said "Drink some wine and relax a little!" Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I know botox is often used to help alleviate severe migraines; maybe you'll kill two birds with one stone, if you're one of those who gets migraines from the teeth grinding?

I've no experience with botox but as for the needles in the face--will it be much different than getting shots in your mouth at the dentist?

Hopefully I've just said something helpful instead of completely ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

dakini -- yeah, the mouthguard protects my teeth but it doesn't do anything for the grinding. The dermatologist has used it on a bunch of tooth grinders with good results, plus he's a family friend (dad's friend) so I feel better going to him than a doctor I don't know. It would be awesome if your dentist's advice worked, that would be a quick solution.

tinglepants --I think it's different than getting dental shots, just because I'm pretty sure the dermatologist would inject the skin over the masseter rather than inside the mouth as a dentist would. I've also heard it can help with migraines and also excessive sweating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

maybe you can get the same result from dipping your jaw into a severely dented canned good.
(gahh! the idea of injecting botulism into yourself is a terrifying concept.)
p.s. don't dip your jaw into a dented canned good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't have any experience with teeth grinding botox injections, but my dad had botox in his hands for clenching and the results were amazing. He was quadriplegic and they had struggled for years to work with his muscles (daily physio, special grips) but after 20+ years he was getting worse. The botox relaxed his hands so he wasn't in pain or cutting his skin with his fingernails.

The idea of the needles in the face freaks me out a little too but if you really think it is worth the discomfort then I hope it goes well - I just looked at your original message and I guess you have already had it done. How did it go? I am interested to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:40 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi bluestars, how did it go?
I'm also going to get botox to stop my teeth clenching at night this week. My online research on botox and bruxism has been very positive. This page gives a good overview: http://www.cureyourbruxism.com/botox-bruxism/
Hopefully, it can reassure you and others (me lol) who are also suffering from teeth grinding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Wow, I've never heard of this before. I'm looking forward to hearing about your treatment. I would love to wake up one morning and feel like my face wasn't getting punched in all night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have TMJ, and it keeps getting worse (clenching my jaw in my sleep). Similar to bruxism

Went to the dentist yesterday, and she did mention Botox as an option. She did also mention that is would NOT be covered on most insurance.

personally, imma skurred of botox. I might try acupuncture though. Something besides massive amounts of drugs has to help this stupid problem I have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Chicki wrote:
I have TMJ, and it keeps getting worse (clenching my jaw in my sleep). Similar to bruxism

Went to the dentist yesterday, and she did mention Botox as an option. She did also mention that is would NOT be covered on most insurance.

personally, imma skurred of botox. I might try acupuncture though. Something besides massive amounts of drugs has to help this stupid problem I have.

I've done acupuncture for my mild TMJ/bruxing... worked really well for me. If your city has a community acupuncture clinic, that's a great way to get both affordable and routine treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I got it done about a week and a half ago and I'm happy with the results so far. I now wake up either with no temporal pain or with just a small headache. My jaw muscles were abnormally strong from 8 years of nighttime teeth grinding and the Botox relaxed them a bit. No issues with eating/chewing anything. I have more energy and feel better from not having constant pain and am sleeping better as well.

The effects are supposed to be cumulative so hopefully after next time or the time after I'll have no head pain whatsoever and maybe even stop grinding. Also, at first I'm supposed to go every 3 or 4 months but after a couple of treatments it might be every 6 months, then every 9 months and so on. I'm going to try something nonmedical as well to help with the grinding, maybe CBT again.

Oh, and it was 4 shots total, 2 on each side. The doctor put some numbing gel on my skin and I didn't feel the shots go into my skin but I felt them a little in the muscles, not too painful though. It was definitely worth it and it probably took only about 30 seconds. If anyone has questions I'll try to answer them.

Arisaig -- it's great that Botox helped your dad too. Sounds like it helps a few painful conditions by relaxing muscles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

good for you!!
my daughter (also quadruplegic) used to get botox shots for her clenching. they really helped her a lot, just as they did Arisaig's dad. After the first time to see how she would tolerate it, she had them every few months and they used the absolute maximum for her weight every time- you can use a surprising amount [more than you'd like to pay for, put it that way]....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

How much did they charged you bluestars?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have TMJ, I got treated for it a few years back and still wear a mouth guard at night, but I am having major issues this week. I don't know if my neck/shoulder pain is causing my TMJ pain or if my neck/shoulder pain is because I'm clenching my jaw at night again. Or it could be something I'm eating *sigh*

Botox was never suggested to me, and I don't think I could do it, but it's great it made a difference for you! I'm going to the physio today and visiting my dentist tomorrow for the first time in years because my clenching is putting holes in my mouth guard :/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

p.s Has anyone done yoga specifically for TMJ? Back when I was getting treated, I found that I got better results at my appt if I had been to yoga the night before (I was doing Bikram at the time). But that yoga place was really expensive and then I heard about what Bikram is like, so I quit. Now I think I should do some form of yoga again so if you have tried something, please let me know - ta :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I am really happy to see that acupuncture is working for people! I think it is partially covered by insurance for me, so once it kicks in (new job - 60 days!) I will give it a try. My mouth guard is getting worn out, and at $400 a pop (yes, I get the custom made kind) I need another treatment

Too bad I am scared of needles. Like a lot. Ill have to take xanax before going in there or something

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

acupuncture needles are nothing like syringe needles, tattoo needles, or blood donation needles. they are so, so, so thin that you barely feel them go in. i know with my knee the results were almost miraculous, and then i had some for relaxation when i was having anxiety issues (and he put them in my face and hands). it's really no big deal and you will be fine. go for it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm with torque, acu needles aren't too bad, but I don't have a fear of needles. Why not get them to just try putting one needle in and then have them wait to see if you can stand it? I'm sure they've had to treat people who don't like needles, they'll understand.

Chicki wrote:
I am really happy to see that acupuncture is working for people! I think it is partially covered by insurance for me, so once it kicks in (new job - 60 days!) I will give it a try. My mouth guard is getting worn out, and at $400 a pop (yes, I get the custom made kind) I need another treatment

I just paid $900 for my new mouth guard :/

And my dentist suggested prolotherapy for my back and jaw, but I don't like the sound of it, I don't know anyone who has had it done and it's not covered by health funds here. Apparently it's more well known in the USA - has anyone heard of it/had it done?