| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you get from lunch to dinner?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I eat between 1230-130 (depending on appointments, etc), then am done work at 5 and have an hour long commute to contend with. By the time I get home I'm generally too hungry to actually make a solid dinner and end up eating crepe. Ideally I'd like to be able to do a dinnertime yoga a couple times a week but at this point I worry I'd eat the teacher.

How do you contend with that looooong break between lunch and dinner? Snacks? Extra-filling lunch? My issue is further compounded by the fact that I can eat almost zero fat, which means meals don't have as much staying power.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: How do you get from lunch to dinner?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I always have a snack around 3:30-4, about 200 calories. Generally it's nuts and a fruit (though if your diet is low in fat that might not be the best suggestion). A Clif bar?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

I try to keep semi-healthy snacks at my desk, and on days that I know that I'm going to be getting home late for some reason that doesn't involve going out to dinner I basically pack two lunches and eat at 11-11:30ish and again at 3:30-4ish. I do a strength training class immediately after work on Mondays which means (a) I need fuel and (b) I won't get home until 7ish, so Mondays are definitely a two lunch day (then I usally eat something small afterwards.) It definitely takes a lot of planning ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i would eat a snack somewhere between 3pm - 5pm maybe even in the car... whenever i got hungry ... enough to stave off the hunger pangs... some nuts or trail mix is good because if you are going to yoga its a nice small amt that packs a lot of calories to keep you going. or, if i went straight home and was famished and know i have to walk the dogs before i can eat dinner a few crackers with hummus or a spoonful or 2 of peanut butter seems to do the trick and keep me from crashing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I push my lunchtime up to about 3:00 by eating a bunch of vegetables at around 11:00 (no dressing, just cut up celery, carrots, green peppers, broccoli, and whatever else). You may not think veggies are filling, but on the days I forget to eat them or don't get to eat them I get hungry!
Then, I eat lunch around 3, then have an apple between 4:00 and 5:00. Then I eat plain pretzels if I'm hungry before dinner. I guess I'm a grazer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:30 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I basically just eat constantly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need protein in my lunch. When I've made my wraps with only veggies and no chickpeas, I am so hungry all day. I also split my lunch in two parts. I'm just not hungry at 10am, so I eat some at 10 and the rest on my way home at 2:30. I'm starving by then, but in class, so nothing I can do except hope not to get too dizzy. Tamari roasted sunflower seeds help with that. Are those too high in fat?

What about roasted chickpeas or edamame?

Basically, my answer is chickpeas. Chickpeas are always the answer. I buy my chickpeas at Costco in a giant can that takes 3 people to carry out to my car. (I'm only exaggerating a little)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I eat lunch late-ish or have a snack planned. I absolutely need to have the snack planned ahead of time or I just eat random crepe.

Also, I find that having dinner planned ahead of time (early in the day, before I'm starving in the moment) helps me a lot, even if it's not made yet. Brain work (making a decision) just isn't going to happen when I'm that hungry.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I just realized how forked up my eating routines are. I'm usually not that hungry by lunch time, since I eat a giant breakfast, so I just eat fruit and maybe some hummus + veggies or roasted chickpeas or something, and maybe soy milk with protein powder. Then I feel like dying around 3:00-4:00 which is when I eat a huuuuge dinner. And then I don't eat anything else. That is not good and I don't recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Wait, does anyone really go from like 12:00 to 6:00 without eating?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I usually work a snack in around 3pm but I'm just so bad at snacking that it's either something that doesn't carry me past about 4 or else I'm not hungry for dinner. And it's something I have to pack otherwise my options near work are potato chips or cookies.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The top shelf of my filing cabinet at work is just a snack shelf. I try to keep it stocked with fruit, nuts and museli bars. They usually keep me going, but sometimes when I have a long gym session after work I'll come home and snack on something dumb like cookies while I'm making dinner. I'm kind of thinking about maybe packing two half-lunches and spreading them out during the day, instead of having one big one all at once. But I'm also pretty lazy sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 am 
Nailed to the V

almiratanner wrote:

I do almost daily lately. I only generally eat out of boredom in the afternoon, or if I have a 6pm strength workout (2x a week) I have to have a little something in my stomach so I have half of a protein bar or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I eat breakfast early, a snack at 10, a light-ish lunch at noon, another snack at 3, and then dinner as soon as I get home from work at 6 or 7. If I have a bigger lunch, sometimes I can skip the afternoon snack, but usually not. Messing with this schedule too much makes me SO IRRITABLE.

I usually try to keep my snacks fairly healthy (fruit, nuts, granola, dry cereal, etc.), but I also keep a stash of clif/luna bars in my desk drawer for emergency situations or for days I fail to plan ahead. They're nice to have when I feel like I need a protein boost or I'm going to die.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

almiratanner wrote:

We usually have dinner around 7:30 or 8 and I don't snack before then. I just have big lunches - like, 3 course-meal big. Dinner is also several courses, usually a soup, a main dish with veggies, carbs and proteins, and dessert.

I do drink a lot of tea in the afternoon, which keeps me from eating out of boredom I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Snack! Have you tried the Simply Bar? They are low sugar, fairly low fat and 16 grams protein. They are not as sweet and delicious as Clif Builders but they are not as much of a sugar bomb either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:14 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

A planned snack. I bring lunch and two snacks with me to college every day. Usually a sandwich for a mid-morning snack (around ten), and some fruit and nuts for the afternoon (around 2-3 pm). We usually have dinner at 6. I'm one of those people who have trouble eating enough to last until the next meal - I often have to remind myself to keep eating a little past full or I'll be hungry again in an hour.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:21 am 
Impressive boner

I usually have a lunch that combines a protein with a starch (but not bread as sandwiches make my tummy growl for more shortly after eating). Something like a chickpea curry and rice or seitan stew keeps me going until it's time to go home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

on my workdays i'm in my car all day, and so i bring a lunchbox. it's usually got two [leftover] dishes, and i also bring maybe 4 apples with me. I often have to eat as i drive, so apples are perfect. i also eat a lot of sprouted lentils, which are easy snacks and yummy (especially with lemon pepper on them).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i snack all day long. we have free snacks at work but most of them are not vegan so if i get really desperate i end up having to eat pretzels which i dont even like.
i try and bring snacks with me.
hummus and cucumber slices is a good one for me. i think the hummus is filling. i eat like a lot of hummus though. the serving sizes on a container of hummus make me laugh cause ill eat like a cup at a time.
i try to keep granola bars at my desk. NuGo are my favorite and they say vegan right on the packaging. they are a little pricey though and i have to go to WF to get them now because my local grocery store only carries the mocha flavored ones which for some reason i dont like.
i also try and eat a big lunch to get me through the afternoon. depending on what i do with my actually lunch break i may eat at 1 or i may wait until after my lunch break is over and eat at 2 while im doing work.

fruit and veggies are good snacks but i find that they dont fill me up and sometimes just make me more hungry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I usually have a snack at 10 or 11 and a small lunch around 1 and then another snack around 3:30 or 4 (sometimes earlier if I'm ravenous). Recently my snacks have been sliced carrots but other times its been soup or curry or something. Lunch is usually a bigger serving of something similar-curry/stew/etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:58 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I normally eat at 12:30 and then again at 6:30pm or as late as 8pm. I noticed that if I eat a salad with lots of raw veggies and ideally some beans and a piece of seed bread I am completely full until dinner. When I eat cooked vegetables and no proteins, and the carbs from potatoes, I get hungry at 3:30. In which case I eat a piece of fruit or a nuts bar, but it's not satisfying.

I second the chickpeas for snack. You could make lower-fat cauliflower hummus and bring some crackers and apple slices and eat that before you leave toward home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am 
Ninja Master

snacks definitely. I eat lunch at 12 most days and I'm usually starving again by 4. So I try to remember to bring a yoghurt or a piece of fruit, otherwise I will snack on junky crepe.

when I go to the gym straight from work I try to have a snack right before the class, something like a banana. Otherwise I get dizzy.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I divide my lunch in half and have half around ten and half around two. I always get hungry mid-morning and mid-afternoon so I've stopped eating at noon altogether.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I love that you asked this because this has been driving me nuts. For some reason I've completely run out of snack ideas, so I keep buying cookies, which seem to make me more hungry. I'm going to get some hummus, because that would make snacking on raw veggies more pleasant and filling. I usually eat carrots with my lunch, but maybe I'll postpone them. I was also checking Oh She Glows. I might try making the Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats or No Bake Protein Energy Bars. http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/22/22-ways-to-get-your-vegan-snack-attack-on/. They both have some fat though, j-dub, not sure how you do with nutbutters. Or maybe the roasted chickpeas, but I hate salt and vinegar chips, so I'm pretty sure I would need to find another flavor.

ETA: Those Simply Bars look good!