| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do you get from lunch to dinner?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I usually eat 12:30-1:30, too...don't get dinner till like 7. Usually have a bag of pretzels around 3. Don't judge! Sometimes I'll do fruit or a slice of ezekiel bread and hummus, but the pretzels are just so convenient.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:03 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm someone who eats all day, but if you need a low-fat snack that will keep you full maybe try a soy yogurt and a piece of fruit?! I like the unsweetened plain whole soy with apples and cinnamon...It has enough protein to keep me full for a while and enough sugar to perk me up a little bit.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I eat lunch at noon, then leave work and get to the gym around 5pm, not home until almost 7. There is NO WAY i could go 7 hours without eating.

A snack at my desk around 2-3 (fruit usually, or hummus). Then a snack in the car on the way to the gym (banana or a luna bar or something)

If I am super hungry after the gym (usually am) grab a quick snack before I cook dinner, like hummus in a bit of pita, or a few bites of leftovers, or a half of a protein shake or something.

It's true what they say...eat thoughout the day and you will eat less, have more energy, and be hungry less often.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I eat lunch at 12, have a medium-sized snack at 3, and then a small snack around 5:30. (We tend to eat around 8-8:30, so I need it to tide me over.) I try to make sure the 3pm snack has some protein to help me stay full. Soy yogurt is a pretty small snack!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I used to be able to eat lunch and then be all set until I got home but now that I'm in classes after work I need something to hold me over until I get home to eat dinner. I usually eat something around 3-4 and then get home and eat dinner around 8, lately I have been packing fruit but I really should start packing something more substantial. I've been thinking of making a big batch of hummus at the beginning of the week and then have that on hand at work, also been thinking of making big batches of roasted chickpeas and popcorn to snack on or homemade granola bars. Anyone have any good recipes for granola bars and dips?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I've had more snacks today than the rest of you have in a whole day, and it's not even 11 am.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't live without my yogurt at 3pm. About 1/3c. of wildwood plain yogurt mixed with some berries (i just toss in a few frozen ones in the morning and they're good to go by the afternoon.

Sometimes sliced apple. Sometimes a small second lunch. Like today I'm having a little leftover ziti (about 1c. or so) for lunch and a bit of leftover pumpkin curry and rice (also about 1c.) for snack.

Small meals all day long keeps your metabolism running and your health high!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Do you put lemon juice or anything on the apples or just check them in the yogurt? I think yogurt and fruit would be a good snack for me. I like flavored yogurts better than the plain unsweetened, but I think getting plain unsweetened and adding a little fruit would be much better for my sugar intake (and inevitable crashes).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what kind of yogurt do you guys eat?
ive never found a vegan yogurt that doesnt taste like fake sweetener.
i think ive tried soy and coconut.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

...also, I find that having vegan yogurt every day tends to get somewhat expensive...? Or is that just Canada?

But it's quite comforting to read that I'm not the only one who has a lot of snacks! I always felt sort of bad about my snacking, but even if I have a large lunch that won't get me over to dinner (neither will a large breakfast get me to lunch, but I rarely have lunch before 1pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The only vegan yogurt I like is the WholeSoy brand (or trader joe's, which I think is rebranded wholesoy). It IS expensive. Usually over $1 each. But I think they taste pretty yum.

I try to wait until they go on sale for like .79 each, then buy a lot. The expiration date for soy yogurt is pretty long.

The coconut is ok. The almond kind is NASTY. Ugh. tried it the other day, the Almonde (sp?) kind. FOUL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I like WholeSoy unsweetened. I buy my yogurt at Grocery Outlet though (usually $.99-1.50 for a 3-cup tub), so I just have to buy what they have or nothing at all. Sometimes I will buy plain (sweetened) or vanilla, and then blend in a block or two of silken tofu to cut the sweetness. Maybe that's weird but I like it. I can't eat the sweetened/flavored ones straight. It's like eating dessert, and if I'm going to have that much sugar I'd rather eat a piece of cake or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

void wrote:
...also, I find that having vegan yogurt every day tends to get somewhat expensive...? Or is that just Canada?

But it's quite comforting to read that I'm not the only one who has a lot of snacks! I always felt sort of bad about my snacking, but even if I have a large lunch that won't get me over to dinner (neither will a large breakfast get me to lunch, but I rarely have lunch before 1pm)

I totally hear you on this one! I have always been known to eat more than the average person my size and now that I'm vegan I find I'm hungrier more often than not. Makes sense since the density of food is much lower than an omni diet. Either way good to know I'm not the only one out there (I say this whilst digging into my snack).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I find the WholeSoy unsweetened way too sugary for my taste.

The only true plain, beany yogurt I've tried and like is Wilwood. Great in indian food, great mixed with some berries. Add a squirt of maple syrup if you think it's too sour.

I get about one quart-ish size tub a week and between my bf and I, were able to have yogurt about three times a week (six servings I guess?). Probably our most packaged/expensive habit, but I'm still working on learning how to make decent yogurt at home. But at $4/week or so, this is way cheaper than us going out and buying chips every day from the vending machine.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I snack constantly. I try to bring fruit, granola bars, etc. with me to school on long days so I can avoid the vending machines--it's the least vegan friendly campus ever, so my options are pretty much limited to potato chips or an overpriced fruit cup. On weeks when I'm really on top of things, I have muffins or oatmeal squares on hand to bring with me.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 pm 

rainbowwine wrote:

The only true plain, beany yogurt I've tried and like is Wilwood. Great in indian food, great mixed with some berries. Add a squirt of maple syrup if you think it's too sour.

I get about one quart-ish size tub a week and between my bf and I, were able to have yogurt about three times a week (six servings I guess?). Probably our most packaged/expensive habit, but I'm still working on learning how to make decent yogurt at home. But at $4/week or so, this is way cheaper than us going out and buying chips every day from the vending machine.

Do you mean the plain WholeSoy? The unsweetened has no sugar in it at all. The plain is VERY sweet, though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ashley wrote:
rainbowwine wrote:

Do you mean the plain WholeSoy? The unsweetened has no sugar in it at all. The plain is VERY sweet, though.

Hmmm, this might be the problem. I don't know that I've seen the unsweetened, only the plain. Will have to give it a try if I find it...but still love Wildwood :)

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 pm 

Yeah, it's hard to find. It ends up at grocery outlet a lot so I guess maybe it doesn't sell well, which works out in my favor! But I do wish it were more widely available.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I generally end up eating constantly! I might have a salad for lunch, but then I'll have tons of snacks throughout the day before dinner - a fruit salad, veggies and hummus, an apple, a banana, a clif bar, stuff like that! I had some cereal for breakfast and I will probably end up eating all of those things before dinner time around 7pm tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i just eat all of the time. or, i make sure to eat at least every 3 hours. usually my days are either early or late, and then i eat like this:

6.45: big-ish breakfast
9-10ish: snack (usually about 2-300 calories worth)
13ish: lunch
15ish: snack
18-19ish: dinner
21-22ish: snack

or

10-11ish: breakfast
13-14ish: snack
16-17ish: a big lunch comparable to dinner
19-20-ish: snack
22-23ish: snack

if i only get two full meals, i snack on heavier stuff. if i don't eat for more than 3 hours, my blood sugar crashes and then i eat a bag of candy. because there is no way in hell i can deal with having a blood sugar crash in the afternoon!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I eat a breakfast of yogurt and granola for breakfast when I get to work around 8:30am. And then I have lunch sometime between 12 and 1. For snacks I bring nuts, fruit, Kit bars (gluten free clif bars that are small) and chocolate with me. I never know when I'm going to leave work and then I have an hour commute home so I make sure I'm prepped with food in my office so I'm not starving. But I really notice that I don't eat when I'm super busy at work. I can not each lunch sometimes until 2 or 3 if I'm not paying attention and normally on those days I won't eat any of my snacks even if they are sitting out on my desk. I just don't think about it!

For yogurt I love the new greek style coconut milk yogurt by So Delicious. It comes in almond milk base too. And I think the vanilla goes perfect with any type of granola mixed in. It's super creamy!

Hummus and raw veggies are always a great work snack too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I usually eat breakfast at work around 10am (I have a snack on the way to work if I'm super hungry), lunch around 1pm, and dinner anywhere from 6 to 9pm. A big-ish, late lunch usually tides me over until I get home, but I have some snacks at work if I need them (trail mix, noodle bowls, other packaged food stuff). I also snack right when I get home from work. Lately my after-work-before-dinner snack has been a big salad and this works really well. It takes a while to eat so I feel a little more satisfied than if I ate a couple bites of something, but I'm not too full for dinner later in the evening.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

rainbowwine wrote:
ashley wrote:
rainbowwine wrote:

Hmmm, this might be the problem. I don't know that I've seen the unsweetened, only the plain. Will have to give it a try if I find it...but still love Wildwood :)

Fred Meyer has started carrying the unsweetened WholeSoy in the larger tubs, they were phasing out the plain recently. I'm not sure if I've seen it elsewhere. I prefer the Wildwood yogurts as well.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

sometimes olives, sometimes tortilla chips with some salsa, sometimes cashews, sometimes a couple of chocolate chips (and sometimes two of those mixed together. cashews and salsa chips is really surprisingly tasty, as is chocolate chips and cashews.)

if you can't have too many fats, dried fruits are probably a good option. plums? (extra fiber and poo insurance)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

The one thing I don't need with a janky gallbladder and IBS is poo insurance!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I bought a bunch of Luna Bars on sale and I'm going to try to use them to get me from work to yoga. I also like the idea some people have of splitting lunch up into two meals, I might try that.

Sadly vegan yogurt is hella-expensive and the only one I ever truly loved has disappeared on me.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD