| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've done no sugar a few times before with a lot of success, so I'm back for about a month.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I need to get in here badly. When I went vegan I kicked the sugar habit like a pro and was great for 2 months then discovered there is some everyday stuff that are vegan and ever since I am like a crack hors d'oeuvre for sugar.

I'm going to work on plain cutting back and eating in moderation first. No sugary snacks until after I have had dinner in the evening. I find if I have something with sugar in the morning then it is a slippery slope for the rest of the day.

I'm off fizzy drinks nearly 4 weeks now so I know I can do this!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been doing low-sugar, and it's been going pretty well! I found the perfect breakfast - it's only sugar is from fruit, but it's cheap and fills me for most of the morning. (Oatmeal with a spoonful peanut butter and a banana mashed in, and a little splash of unsweetened almond milk on top.) Once I start with a good breakfast, the rest of the day seems easier. Once I have a bit of something really sugary, I want more, every single time! I'm still drinking coffee, so I have a latte with soymilk, which is sweetened, but they don't offer unsweetened anywhere, and I never add any sugar or syrup to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, the past 2 days I have managed to get my act together and only consumed a small amount of sugar late in the evening.I have no sugary sweets or treats in my shopping that I ordered. Lots of fresh and dried fruit.

I'm proud of myself.... I was in the city today and I managed to not buy anything with sugar. I had a fresh fruit juice from a juice bar instead. I'm planning on a smoothy this evening. Hopefully in a few days I will have a bit more energy because lately I have been so lethargic from all the sugar I've been eating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I can't get over the difference in me with the dramatic decrease in sugar. I don't feel as bloated and sluggish. I have a bit more energy and, despite being premenstrual, I've noticed an improvement with my depression. I've been eating more healthy all round. It's like once I cut back on sugar I seem to naturally gravitate more towards healthier options.

So healthy in fact that I've just ordered two raw vegan books!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 am 
Tofu Pup

I decided to give up sugar about a month and a half ago and somehow I stuck with it and I am really floored with the results. Mood swings = largely gone. My skin is so, so much better. My desire to binge eat has mostly disappeared. Digestion is a lot better. My mental focus has also greatly improved. I've been so much more productive! I don't even miss sweets anymore, which is shocking to me as I used to have the biggest sweet tooth ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:53 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hello,

I'm starting to consider a no sugar diet. I wanted to start with the obvious sources (sweetened drinks). My son is already abstaining from sugar and he feels more energy than ever, and is losing weight too. I'm 41 and need to start healthy habits for the new year!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm reading 'Fat Chance' by Robert Lustig and am seriously considering giving up sugar, however I have a very sweet tooth. I normally use sucralose instead of sugar but it appears that this has a negative effect on insulin, so it's gotta go! I'm going to try stevia in it's place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've been on the no sugar train for about 3 weeks and I'm feeling really good - way less cravings for junk, less bloated feeling, and I actually am craving veggies again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm doing ETL (started three weeks ago) and the no-sugar was easy-peasy. What's really tough is the no-salt! I try to cut it down, but sometimes I have to binge on salted peanuts. eek!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 am 

Clif bar yesterday afternoon = awful headache :(. Crazy how sugar can affect you when you haven't been eating it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I have been considering going sugar-free for quite some time and I find that I add sugar to way too many recipes - a tsp here, a tbsp there and it really adds up. What are some good replacements for sweetness in savory dishes such as peanut noodles? And what are some good ideas to "trick" yourself that you're eating something sweet? I always start my day with a sugar-free fruit smoothie, I eat lots of fruit every afternoon to beat my cravings and I typically have a date after dinner for dessert.

I realized it was time when I binged on far too much Valentine's candy yesterday at work and felt so ill the rest of the day. My biggest temptation is candy/baked goods and I find I have zero willpower when it comes to them and I need some ideas to overcome those urges.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't usually crave a lot of sweet, but I go through stages where it's all I want. Soda is probably my biggest downfall when I try to cut out sugar. I never buy it but every once in a while I give in and ask my housemate for one in his stash. I frigging love Coke.

For the most part I drink water, club soda and unsweetened tea. Then a day like today where I get up, eat 4 spoonfuls of jam from the jar (heavily sweetened, not good natural stuff) and top it off with a hot chocolate. Have to stop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I need to be in here. I've been on sugar hardcore since Christmas and I'm really feeling the effects of it. Sluggish, headaches, getting pimples...it's awful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
Kale Wreath

jerusha wrote:
I'm doing ETL (started three weeks ago) and the no-sugar was easy-peasy. What's really tough is the no-salt! I try to cut it down, but sometimes I have to binge on salted peanuts. eek!

Haha, I'm doing ETL too and I'm the opposite - I barely noticed cutting out the salt, but the sugar has been driving me crazy. I realized I couldn't keep dates in the house anymore because then I get intense urges to binge on dates and almond butter/tahini.

I fell off the wagon for a week (it was a super stressful time with school) and felt like total crepe but am back on it now so am doing no-sugar again. I grew up being given sweet treats after pretty much every stressful situation (thanks Mom! not) and it's been really, really hard to shake the emotional connection I have with sweets for comfort. Gah.

So far I've been fighting the cravings with fruit smoothies for breakfast, a bit of fresh fruit after meals, and pretty much every evening I look forward to a fruit-based smoothie or pudding. Lots and lots of fresh fruit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:11 pm 

pistachiorose wrote:
jerusha wrote:

Haha, I'm doing ETL too and I'm the opposite - I barely noticed cutting out the salt, but the sugar has been driving me crazy. I realized I couldn't keep dates in the house anymore because then I get intense urges to binge on dates and almond butter/tahini.

I fell off the wagon for a week (it was a super stressful time with school) and felt like total crepe but am back on it now so am doing no-sugar again. I grew up being given sweet treats after pretty much every stressful situation (thanks Mom! not) and it's been really, really hard to shake the emotional connection I have with sweets for comfort. Gah.

So far I've been fighting the cravings with fruit smoothies for breakfast, a bit of fresh fruit after meals, and pretty much every evening I look forward to a fruit-based smoothie or pudding. Lots and lots of fresh fruit.

I've barely even been eating fruit, but I had two apples and a half an Asian pear today plus a bunch of dates with tahini. Um, amazing combo! But I'll need to watch my intake - the sugar can definitely add up!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 am 

Definitely overdid it on the dates + tahini combo yesterday. I also had some molasses yesterday. But no headache today, versus the awful headache I got when I ate the Clif bar. Unrefined sugars for the win!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

jerusha wrote:

Yeah, I said "screw you" on the no salt thing when I did ETL.

I did cut back, but when I wanted salty crunchy, I let myself have pickles. I figured, I cut out so much fat and stuff, that a 5 calorie salty cuke wasn't gonna hurt much!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I need to seriously reduce my sugar intake. I've been tracking on myfitnesspal, and it's typical for me to eat 75-100g of sugar in a day. That seems WAY high! A lot of that is from fruit, but a lot of it isn't. I don't feel like I eat a lot of desserts, but protein bars, cereal, and sugary yogurts really add up. I guess this is one of the many reasons to eat mainly whole foods.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:48 am 
Impressive boner

Day one of no sugar for me. Doing fine so far and reminding myself that it will help to eliminate the allergies, lichen sclerosus, heartburn and headaches.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 am 

After way overdoing it on sugar on Friday, I had absolutely none yesterday (no fruit or anything) and I felt so much better! Glad it wasn't too hard to get back on track :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm 

And so much for getting back on track so easily. So much sugar today! Ah well, tomorrow is a new day :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

lycophyte wrote:
jerusha wrote:

Yeah, I said "screw you" on the no salt thing when I did ETL.

I did cut back, but when I wanted salty crunchy, I let myself have pickles. I figured, I cut out so much fat and stuff, that a 5 calorie salty cuke wasn't gonna hurt much!

yeah, maybe I should switch to pickles instead of peanuts.

Just binged on cake here in the office... *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 am 

Three days being back on no sugar (except wine tonight - does that count?). Feeling good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 pm 

I ate a Motts apple sauce this afternoon (that I got at work for free) and only realized after it was opened that it had glucose-fructose! Why?!!!! I felt so crappy afterwards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next