| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Pet peeve: the expression "failed vegan". Veganism isn't something you can pass or fail, it's something you do because you have a set of beliefs. People have different reasons to do things and different beliefs and you shouldn't go about thinking you're better than someone. (Though it's just an expression and I'm sure you don't think like that). It's like calling someone a failed Christian or a failed organic-food-buyer. Don't be mean.

I was just going with the flow of the conversation here. I would never call anyone that to their face. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone.

I think you are better than almost everybody.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Pet peeve: the expression "failed vegan". Veganism isn't something you can pass or fail, it's something you do because you have a set of beliefs. People have different reasons to do things and different beliefs and you shouldn't go about thinking you're better than someone. (Though it's just an expression and I'm sure you don't think like that). It's like calling someone a failed Christian or a failed organic-food-buyer. Don't be mean.

I was just going with the flow of the conversation here. I would never call anyone that to their face. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone.

I think you are better than almost everybody.

Actually, you might be right. Never mind, I am a crasshole. :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

considering this is a thread for complaining about annoying stuff we can't and wouldn't complain about elsewhere, either everyone in here is a crasshole or no one is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:48 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Well, I am definitely a crasshole, so...

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You know what really grinds my crasshole gears? When people cook something meaty at home and can't be bothered to wash their dishes. They look at me with confusion and can't comprehend why, on Earth, I wouldn't want to scrape the burnt meat off their pans. Some things are just not worth dignifying with an answer, especially if you've bothered to answer it five times already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Gulliver wrote:

It is what it is!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I know, I know, and I meant it in a light-hearted way. I find language really fascinating, so I got wound up thinking about the meaning of the term "failed vegan" and I think a spring sprung loose. It's like how I don't like that Gay Pride (and other Blah Prides) are called "pride" because pride comes from achievement and how can you be proud of something you had no choice in. I know that it has another meaning that's specific to this use, but it's not a word I like. It's also a name for one of the seven deadly sins, which are inherently associated with naughty behaviour. I admit that "Gay Showing Happiness With A Matter-of-Factness!" is less good a name.

But anyway, when vegetarian restaurants that mark what is and is not vegan have butter on the table and not olive oil or something to stop it being dry makes me grr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Someone on my FB friends list just sent me a PM with a "lovely" picture today... knowing full well that I'm vegan. It is sooo gross! *shudders* Come on, people, I do not care to see your turkey covered in bacon strips. You think it's funny? Well, you know what, I really don't. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind about this kind of thing, but I'd lose a very good friend if I did... I hate this kind of situation...

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

stuckunderhere wrote:
Someone on my FB friends list just sent me a PM with a "lovely" picture today... knowing full well that I'm vegan. It is sooo gross! *shudders* Come on, people, I do not care to see your turkey covered in bacon strips. You think it's funny? Well, you know what, I really don't. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind about this kind of thing, but I'd lose a very good friend if I did... I hate this kind of situation...

Ugh, I saw that today on facebook too. I can't get pissed at a friend though because it was a business that I "like"d. That doesn't have anything to do with food so I'd never have expected it. At least I can just stoping "like"ing them and not lose a friend over a turkey with bacon latticed all over it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

stuckunderhere wrote:

I just got called a coward on Facebook (by someone who doesn't even know me) for agreeing with my sister's suggestion that an animal protection group post links with warnings rather than confronting, graphic images. Apparently, being sensitive & compassionate makes you "lily-livered" & somehow looking at pictures of animal cruelty makes you a better vegan than I apparently am. Urgh. Hate to have to unfollow a group that posts useful info, but it's tempting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Sometimes another vegan will join a group that you're already the one vegan in, and then they are all over-zealously OMG I AM VEGAN and post pictures of injured animals and inspirational facts to the group of people that you have been working on with sensible conversations and cupcakes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

creep wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
creep wrote:
.... I got to spend the entire day hearing her talk about all the meat she likes and killing farm animals and "vaygun."....

has mispronouncing the word "vegan" already been mentioned in this thread? if so, i think it could stand a second mentioning. what on earth in the english language makes you think vegan has a soft "g" when people say, "vee-jun"???? and then there's "vee-ghan"! this may well not be true, but i feel like they're doing it on purpose to undermine my beliefs.

What's amazing is that there is another vegan at work, and we'll pronounce it correctly, and she will IMMEDIATELY say "vaygun" again. Does she think we're mispronouncing it, or does she really not notice the difference, or does she just not care?

Sometime I truly believe my landlady can't pronounce it correctly, other times it's like she thinks she is being "cute" in saying 'vejian'. No, I am not from the island Viji.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

aside from my brother, i'm the only vegan i know IRL :(
i'm especially sad about it today. there's been some issues about it at work and i'm also anxious about the holidays approaching...
i'm totally happy that my brother is vegan as well, though! let's remember the silver lining!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 am 
***LIES!!!***

Gulliver wrote:
"Gay Showing Happiness With A Matter-of-Factness!"

I love this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh god, the holidays. Don't get me started.

My brother will be nagging endlessly and my father will (hopefully silently) blame me for "ruining Christmas dinner" by not eating animal products, and then my mum will get anxious about "keeping the peace" and I will feel insanely guilty despite not being responsible at all for these three people to go into a funk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

chouettes crêpes wrote:
aside from my brother, i'm the only vegan i know IRL :(
i'm especially sad about it today. there's been some issues about it at work and i'm also anxious about the holidays approaching...
i'm totally happy that my brother is vegan as well, though! let's remember the silver lining!

This girl I just met at work is my first! Besides my now-vegetarian friend who has been all three vegan, omnivore, and lacto-ovo since we met.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Some asshat just vandalized a local McDonalds Mural with the word VEGAN written on it in big letters. Big vegan-hating drama going on right now.

I started a thread in the Parlor about it. I am super mad. GRRR CHICKI SMASH

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23902

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my biggest pet peeve right now is i believe it is hunting season around these parts.
hunting makes me very uncomfortable for a variety of reasons.
the most obvious one is duh killing animals.
i also really dislike guns and violence in general and i very much consider hunting an act of violence.

the part where it gets weird and confusing for me is i feel that the people who hunt for food are actually doing better than people who go buy factory farmed meats at the grocery store. the people i know who hunt are usually well trained in hunting and killing an animal so it doesnt suffer, etc and arent people who just go out and shoot at stuff.
i dont like it but they seem to be respectful (as respectful as one can be while killing somtething with a high powered weapon from far away)

ANYWHO.....i have been ignoring all the dead carcass pictures on my facebook wall BUT THEN a friend of mine and her boyfriend go to PA every year to go hunting. i think they may own some land there or something. and what shows up on my fb feed one day???? a picture of her boyfriend kneeling by a WOLF carcass with his shotgun on the wolf carcass.
i think fire shot out of my eyes.
where do people EAT WOLF? why would you kill something you arent going to eat? i mean im still trying to figure out why kill anything at all but if you're gonna kill it then eat the damn thing!!
my husband and i went to Yellowstone earlier in the year where grey wolves were reintroduced into the ecosystem in the late 90s and it's a HUGE controversy out there and i read a ton on the reintroduction program and the wolves themselves, etc. i know PA and Yellowstone are no where near each other but it just brought up all these things i had read about and peoples' general hatred of predators and the whole thing just disgusted me. i almost unfriended her. im so sick over it. i saw the picture like 2 weeks ago and it still haunts me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

LisaPunk that is really shitty. It would bother me too. I have friends that hunt. I just try to compartmentalize that portion of their life, and ignore it. Otherwise, I would start getting upset about EVERYTHING all my friends do that is non-vegan, and then I would have NO friends left.

But that is easier said than done. I didn't even see it but got a horrible mental picture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just.....i just cant....i think sport hunting is one of those things that snaps something inside of me and fire shoots out of my eyes and my head spins around in circles.

i have family members who hunt (my brother's wife and her family are BIG into hunting) so i try to like be respectful and not go crazy on them because they DO EAT the animals they hunt but when someone goes out and just kills something for a trophy i just go bananas.

to me it's just the sign of something messed up in that person's head that they think that is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

One of my closest buddies is a deer hunter who participates in just about every hunting season variation imaginable (bow, black powder, rifle etc). He knows I can't stand it (I have never argued with him about it, he just understands my beliefs as a vegan and respects them) and he makes every effort to not talk about it around me. His son tagged him in a picture with a deer he killed on FB which I hid on my feed, but as soon as he realized it was on there he untagged himself and messaged me with a very emphatic apology. It's frustrating that he doesn't feel the same way I do about hunting/killing - and feels guilty because I wouldn't approve vs feeling guilty because he's taken the life of the individual animal - but I appreciate that he is at least respectful of my beliefs. I have hope that a person like him can turn the corner a lot quicker and leave hunting behind compared to someone who would mock my decisions and parade their hunting activities in front of me.

Since we bought our farm we have had a lot of opportunities to discuss all the wildlife (particularly the deer) that hang out within a few feet of our house on regular occasion. It's always promising to me to hear him talk about the beauty he sees when he goes out to the woods out of season and just sits and watches the wildlife. I hope that someday he will decided to take a camera in place of his weapons but until he stops hunting for food, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

Last edited by alden on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
i just.....i just cant....i think sport hunting is one of those things that snaps something inside of me and fire shoots out of my eyes and my head spins around in circles.

YUP.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Garrick wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

YUP.

Thirded, trophy hunting makes me incredibly stabby. Tell me again how your actions don't make you a psychopath?

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, one of biker boy's brothers hunts, and lives on a compound out in the country/woods with his wife's extended family, where everyone hunts. They eat what they kill and have been perfectly nice to me about veganism, whatever. But, for the love of mike, they do not talk about anything else. We were up there on Sunday for bb's nephew's first birthday party. You know, baby's first cake, dinosaur balloons, brightly colored toys... and endless discussion about shooting things. Shut up, already! How about those Seahawks, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

monkeytoes wrote:
Ugh, one of biker boy's brothers hunts, and lives on a compound out in the country/woods with his wife's extended family, where everyone hunts. They eat what they kill and have been perfectly nice to me about veganism, whatever. But, for the love of mike, they do not talk about anything else. We were up there on Sunday for bb's nephew's first birthday party. You know, baby's first cake, dinosaur balloons, brightly colored toys... and endless discussion about shooting things. Shut up, already! How about those Seahawks, huh?

this is what it's like hanging out with my brother's wife's family. so people im not even related to but somehow end up seeing way more than i want.
they are all nuts to begin with and when all the dudes get together all they talk about is hunting.
the last time we saw them was my nephew's 13th birthday and my bro and his fam had also just moved into a nice big house and had moved up to MA from AR after being there for 8 years. so LOTS of things to talk about. no they were talking about hunting bears.
BEARS!
it was horrifying.
and also for some reason all these people have the worst dental hygiene i have ever witnessed. they are all missing tons of teeth and im pretty sure my sister in law's dad has like wooden teeth or something.

ick. they all drive me crazy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 496  Next