| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegans Vandalize Beloved Mural
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:09 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkini ... onalds.php

This happened locally (same county) but I thought it would be more appropirate here.

This kind of crepe really peas me off. This is why people hate us. This perpetuates the terrible, radical, non-tolerant vegan persona. This is one of the reasons why I keep quiet about being vegan when I first meet someone. I don't want to be thought of as a fake blood slinging, mural-ruining, preachy asshat. I make sure that people know me before they start judging me based on other peoples actions that happen to share some of my beliefs.

Grrr.

I am sure my FB will blow up later today about this. I bet at least a few people will ask if I knew about it/had anything to do with it. Maybe I should be pre-emptive and post it myself expressing my disgust.

Post subject: Re: Vegans Vandalize Beloved Mural
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Not at too different than these ALF people, IMO. I know these people are passionate and fired up about what they believe in but vandalizing property is NOT effective advocacy. Quite the opposite.

Another point, tho is that we really don't know the culprit was in fact vegan. Perhaps it was an artist who thought he was being clever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

Vandalism is not good and people shouldn't vandalize murals.

But that is one shitty mural.

And it was "beloved"?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The mural has been around forever, people love it. I think it is kind of weird and creepy, but in a good way. I like weird and creepy.

On another forum, a lot of people are speculating that it is not even other vegans that did this, but real life trolls.

I have a couple of friends that are upset because they come from graffiti/tagging backgrounds, and that is disrespectful on their level as well.

Grr. Still mad. Hate the way people percieve us, because of stuff like this. NOT a good way to get your message across, asshats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know I'm a horrible person, but I read this:
Quote:
[T]he mural was actually painted in 1992 by a McDonald's manager named Saeed Danosian who happened to be an art instructor on the side and who had recently passed away.

and all I can think is, "Wow, that's one talented dead guy!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

That might be among the reasons that people hate vegans, but I don't think it's the reason people hate vegans.

The number one offense of all vegans is that they don't eat meat, cheese, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't think I'm radical, but I don't really have a problem with this. It's a piece of corporate art owned by a company that is probably responsible for more animal death and suffering than any other. I wouldn't do the vandalism myself, but I'm not going to cry over some spilled spray paint! Still, I respect your opinions that this is not a helpful form of advocacy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, that mural is shitty artwork, advertising a shitty company who cares for no-one. i'm glad it has vegan emblazoned across it. really, if that makes people hate vegans, then maybe they already wanted to hate vegans but hating a whole subculture for being compassionate didn't really fly. now they're compassionate vandals!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:47 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I still can't condone destroying someone else's property. Even if it is McEvilPants.

Nobody (in the non-vegan community) is talking about how awful McDonalds is, they are talking about how awful VEGANS are. Because of this.

Yeah...I didn't do that. I bet most of us wouldn't nor would we condone it. I don't like being judged by the actions of a few radical individuals that happen to share my beliefs.

This is a big problem I have with PETA. They are too radical with most of their messaging, and rather than helping the causes, it just reinforces the stereotype of the 'crazy preachy vegan', which I have to fight off.

(yes, I know PETA helps some causes, and I do like some of their campaigns, but I am in the camp that they do more harm that good)

Grr. Chicki still mad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know where that is! Ugh, people are jerks. Destructive actions like this make me sad. I don't care if it was a stupid McDonalds mural, someone obviously put a lot of their time and effort into this and some people crapped all over it. That's not cool. And if veganism about compassion, this is not a good demonstration of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Chicki wrote:
I still can't condone destroying someone else's property. Even if it is McEvilPants.

+1

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:08 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

couroupita wrote:
I know where that is! Ugh, people are jerks. Destructive actions like this make me sad. I don't care if it was a stupid McDonalds mural, someone obviously put a lot of their time and effort into this and some people crapped all over it. That's not cool. And if veganism about compassion, this is not a good demonstration of it.

This. Totally.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I wonder if it was a vegan mural and someone painted bacon all over it if omnivores would care. Or would they just say "Bacon. Mmm".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:16 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

nickvicious wrote:
I wonder if it was a vegan mural and someone painted bacon all over it if omnivores would care. Or would they just say "Bacon. Mmm".

Pretty much. I can't see much outrage if it were the other way around. They would probably just say we were being oversensitive. I think it's a shitty thing to do either way though...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

coldandsleepy wrote:
Chicki wrote:

+1

This. Destroying someone else's art is shitty, especially a famous mural by a dead guy who seems to have been pretty well liked. I don't care if it isn't great art, it was still his.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Can you imagine being the guy who called the widow to tell her that it was destroyed? This is a better story about it.

The mural showed the local beach, by the way.
Here's some more information about the artist:
Quote:
He had a master's degree in set design and art direction but could not find a job, so to support his family, he looked for a job with McDonald's Corp.

Danosian worked at the Huntington Beach McDonald's location while teaching private art classes on the side. The restaurant owner learned about his background and how much he loved teaching kids about art, so when Danosian offered to create a painting on the wall for their young customers, the owner asked him to paint a mural instead. And so he did. He also painted other murals around O.C., including one at Mission San Juan Capistrano.

As Yeganeh told me back then, "Saeed, he was a very kindhearted person and a great human being. At his funeral, which was held on Christmas Eve, there were hundreds of people present and numerous speeches given about how much Saeed had touched their lives. Irvine's then mayor, Beth Krom, said, 'He was always willing to give, with no expectations of getting anything in return.'"

Yeganeh continued, "He donated so much of his time and worked with so many nonprofit organizations. The last 10 years, he taught as a professor at Westwood College, and in 2008 (only six months before his death), he was selected as national instructor of the year. We have received so many letters from his students and their families saying how much Saeed changed their son's/daughter's life. My daughter and I are truly proud of him."

After his death, Westwood College dedicated its student commons area to him because of the difference he made in the school.

Quote:
...gutless, fly-by-night cowards
who are more interested in being stupid that actually doing anything that would put a positive message about veganism out there. What message did this send? It was inexcusable, selfish, and stupid. Whomever did this cared more about themselves than any animal. T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

while i think for vandalism, it looks pretty damn good, i think i can agree with you, chicki.
we have an AR squad that goes around vandalizing local restaurants. spraypainting "meat is murder", "remove the cruelty from your plate" etc. Usually on the front walls of restaurants. [these are the same people who i don't mix with because they believe that having pets is evidence of my totalitarian imperialist bourgeous pig tendencies.] I am always so embarrassed to see these things, they make us all look like a bunch of crassholes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We had a mural here of Ceaser Chavez. Someone spray pained Viva Ceaser right over his face. They painted over the whole thing and now it's a white wall. People who paint or murals are such forking crassholes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

LazySmurf wrote:
We had a mural here of Ceaser Chavez. Someone spray pained Viva Ceaser right over his face. They painted over the whole thing and now it's a white wall. People who paint or murals are such forking crassholes.

So they vandalized it with a pro-mural motif message? That's ridiculous!

I always figured that murals would be a good way to prevent graffiti, but apparently some people are just crassholes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
while i think for vandalism, it looks pretty damn good, i think i can agree with you, chicki.
we have an AR squad that goes around vandalizing local restaurants. spraypainting "meat is murder", "remove the cruelty from your plate" etc. Usually on the front walls of restaurants. [these are the same people who i don't mix with because they believe that having pets is evidence of my totalitarian imperialist bourgeous pig tendencies.] I am always so embarrassed to see these things, they make us all look like a bunch of crassholes.

I suggested elsewhere that they could have gotten permission to make a pro-vegan/AR mural elsewhere in the city. Why be constructive?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 am 
WRETCHED

That is a shame that they couldn't save it. Hopefully they have enough pictures to recreate it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

Good to see so much support for McDonalds here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't know how you go from "vandalism is bad" to "support for McDonalds."

Committing crimes and other unpopular acts in the name of animal rights or veganism doesn't do much to endear us to society at large. If anything, it sets people more firmly against the idea of veganism since now everybody that used to enjoy that mural now associates "vegan" with "crassholes."

For every negative action, there is a much more constructive positive action.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 am 
WRETCHED

The mural is as much as a celebration of the local community as of McDonalds. The artist also did lots of other work around the county including mural work & restoration at Mission San Juan Capistrano (which happens to be my family's mission).

I found an entire listing of his artistic donations on Wikipedia:
Quote:
WE Build program with California First Lady Maria Shriver: Constructed a playground in Long Beach, California (2007)
1,500 sq ft mural for Harbor Christian School in Long Beach, California (2007)
An Evening with Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: Presentation of a commemorative 9/11 Lady Liberty painting (2005)
Butterfly Initiative Project, KOCE-TV: Painted 6 ft (1.8 m) Butterfly for the Art and Science Legacy Project in Orange County (2005)
Bam Earthquake Relief Telethon, PBC TV, donation of original artwork sold for $35,000 (2004)
Crystal Cathedral Anaheim Festival of Hope: Donation of original art pieces (2003)
Capistrano Unified School District & Taking the Reins: Organized 300 sq ft (28 m2). banner project with students (2003)
Congressman Ed Royce: Presented with 9/11 Lady Liberty painting (August 2002)
Republican Party, Los Angeles: September 11 Commemorative painting presented to Bill Simon
Children’s Foundation of California: Donation of posters (2001)
Relief International Organization: Donation of Original Carving (2001)
Rape Crisis Centers, Riverside & Los Angeles: Donation of several prints (2001 & 2002)
Sunrise Children’s Hospital Foundation, Las Vegas: Donation of original artwork (2000)
American Heart Association: Donation of prints and originals (1996–1998)
Taught a series of art classes for cancer patients at St. Jude Children's Hospital
Mission San Juan Capistrano Museum: Mural & Restoration to Father Serra Chapel (1993)
Created a 1,200 sq ft (110 m2) mural for McDonald's in Huntington Beach, California (1992)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:36 am 
Chip Strong

Hopefully maybe vegans were framed and they will find the real culprit!

I do think it's a shame that this mural was ruined only because it was so "beloved" and by a well-liked dead guy. NOT that I like the mural at all or McDonalds.