| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: US elections - 2012
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
I think Texas wanting to secede is hilarious. Sure, we'll let you secede, once your oil runs out. Then secede all you want.

All of the petitions to secede are ridiculous, but I don't take any of them seriously. As far as I know, none have been endorsed by their respective state government. It's just a bunch of Tea Party and GOP whiny babies.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

vegimator wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I moved out of CA before the election, but I had intended to vote no on 37. I just think people need to realize that those who voted no weren't necessarily duped by confusing wording or misleading advertising. I have done a great deal of research on this issue and have simply come to a different conclusion than many folks. I just hate seeing everyone say how uninformed the people voted no are.

Yeah, I have no interest in starting a gmo argument on the ppk, but I voted no as well. Here's a really cogent vegan perspective if anyone wants it - http://saywhatmichaelpollan.wordpress.c ... al-damage/

The author of that article supports the use of gmos, which made me skeptical from the start, but I kept reading. He really lost me, though, when he compared labeling whether a fruit was picked by a left or right handed worker with labeling a gmo fruit. I think we absolutely have a right to know if food contains gmo ingredients and I don't think the bill's imperfectness should have been a reason for it not to pass. Yes, restaurants should have to label too, yes, the labels should be more specific, but that doesn't seem like enough of a reason to me to vote against it. I say pass it, bring it to people's attention, then fix what doesn't work. It's a lot harder to pass something than modify it, no? I think it's great that I can choose to buy organic products or products labeled as "non gmo" if I choose, but I don't see harm in letting people who don't scrutinize labels have the option as well. It's not forcing them to care about something they don't want to, as it seemed like the article's author was suggesting.

I paused when I heard about small businesses potentially being hurt by prop 37. But then I saw signs in small businesses near me supporting it. And I saw that most of the opposition came from big agribusinesses while most of the support came from smaller companies. Honestly, just having Monsanto as the biggest financial opposition was enough for me to vote for it. Living in LA, I didn't see any "Vote no on 37" ads. I could have just missed them, but my thought is that most of the "no" ad money was spent in more rural areas, where people were convinced that food would get too expensive and farmers would suffer. Who knows, though.

I heard that there was still a very small chance the prop could pass, though, anyone else hear that? That the margin wasn't as big as we might have thought and there are a huge number of provisional ballots left to count. Don't quote me on that, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

monkeytoes wrote:
I just went to my County's website for work-related stuff and this was the headline next to a pic of wedding rings:

"Marriage equality
The King County Recorder's Office will open at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 6 to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The office will also be open for extended hours on Dec. 7 and 8."

Whee! Election results will be certified on 12/5 per state law, so the 6th is the first day that marriage licenses can be issued. At 12:01am. :D

Also, the King County Council estimates that marriage licenses for same sex couples will bring in $50,000 in new revenue in the next year and they "wanted there to be a nexus between that money and where it went" (quote: Joe McDermott, chair of the council's budget committee) so they drafted an amendment to the budget that allocates $50,000 to programs that help at-risk queer youth and approved in unanimously.

Happy-making election stuff.

I can't stop smiling! :D

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22