| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gingerbread houses
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm in charge of making one at work for a hoity toity business competition and I want to win! The problem is, I've never made one, and I have minimal time to poke around for ingredients. We work at an organic orchard and ciderhouse, so I was thinking about recreating that, but like, how do I do trees with apples? I should have finished it about, yesterday, so any suggestions from seasoned gingerbread house pros are welcome. No one is going to be eating it so we can do gross stuff like use a glue gun.

Post subject: Re: Gingerbread houses
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hmm... maybe cherries or grapes to make the apples?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 am 
And you never will.

Here is a GREAT ebook (free to view) on making vegan gingerbread houses compete with recipes, along with links to templates (and at least one that includes trees): http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/201 ... ad-houses/

I would probably color marzipan and mold it into apples, that way you can get exactly the size you need.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:45 am 
Chard Martyr

poopiebitch wrote:
Here is a GREAT ebook (free to view) on making vegan gingerbread houses compete with recipes, along with links to templates (and at least one that includes trees): http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/201 ... ad-houses/

I would probably color marzipan and mold it into apples, that way you can get exactly the size you need.

This is awesome, thank you!

Helix, that's a nice suggestion, but a bit too large for the scale we are working with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

poopiebitch wrote:

Wow, what an awesome resource!! I'm so glad you posted it. I love that he bakes the "glass" windows right in -- reminds me of the stained glass cookies I'd make with my family as a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So fun! I demand pictures! I love gingerbread houses sooooo much! Last year I even did a whole ginger bread party. Load it up with candy! :) I love the trees idea. Red hots could make good apples too. Don't you guys have a barn or something like that? What about trying to recreat your actual building with some apple trees out front. I wish I could come over and help you make it!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

ameyfm wrote:
So fun! I demand pictures! I love gingerbread houses sooooo much! Last year I even did a whole ginger bread party. Load it up with candy! :) I love the trees idea. Red hots could make good apples too. Don't you guys have a barn or something like that? What about trying to recreat your actual building with some apple trees out front. I wish I could come over and help you make it!!!

Aww, thanks! We did a pretty amazing job. A huge landscape with the barn and cider house, the two farm dogs, an orchard, our tractor, our pond with a hockey player, and apple crates. It's really cute! It isn't, however, fully vegan, so I don't know about posting it, but no one's going to be eating it, it's just for a charity competition. Not like that justifies the use of animal products, but I couldn't really control all of the ingredients because it was a group effort. We did do vegan fondant apples and they were super cute.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]